“Huge room, interesting art deco touches!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2308 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, IL
“Huge room, interesting art deco touches!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I only stayed at the Ambassador with my husband for one night. Our room was very large with a seating area. The bathroom was small, but there was a second sink outside the bathroom. Free parking in hotel garage is a definite plus. Did notice some stains on the rug and the blanket in the closet was stained as well. The elevators are really neat and you open a door to get in and out of the elevator. Location was far from the "downtown". Area seems a little shady, but we walked to and from Real Chilli without a problem. Lots of students around this area too. If you want to be around the downtown "action", this is not the hotel for you. But it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Saint Leonard, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Hello All.

I originally intended to stay at the Pfister, and how i wish i had!

My first experience with the hotel was when we pulled up in front ... we were driven by a friend we had met on the flight so i was in the front passenger seat. At the exact moment we pulled up, a panhandler was standing at my door so close that i could not open my door without it contacting him. I had to ask him, then tell him, three times to please move away so that i could exit the car. I told the hotel at the front desk, it was my impression that they didn't care.

Friday evening i walked to the covenience store ~ a block away because i didn't want to pay $6.00 for the hotel bottle water ... i encountered groups of young men in various stages of inebriation and other folks of a sort that would cause one to recognize that one should be aware of the surroundings.

The room ... art deco ... i think not ... just old and worn.

One of the curtains was partially hanging loose.

There was a wall panel of some sort that had been partially pushed in far enough that one could insert one's hand in if they so chose.

The television cabinet looked like someone had dripped bleach, or a whitening stain of some sort down the front of it.

The couch cushions were sagging and uncomfortable.

We noticed that our sheets were stained, we left the placard on the bed requesting them to be changed the next morning, it was ignored.

We had no privacy placard to hang on the door so saturday morning housekeeping was banging on our door.

No coffee in the room ... well, in all honesty there was one packet of decaf ... but they do have a coffe shop in the lobby where they will gladly sell you all the coffee you might want!

Sunday morning having breakfast in the Envoy, a person from the "neighborhood" entered the fenced off patio and fell and busted his head open.

Sunday evening after our day's outing we returned to the hotel lounge to have a bite to eat before returning to our room. As we sat there a panhandler entered the lounge, walked up to each patron and asked for money ... and the staff did absolutely nothing.

We then returned to our room to find our room had not been made up at all.

We tried to speak with the hotel manager Monday morning when we cheked out, but he was too busy. We were assured by the front desk manager that if we left our contact munbers, the manager would call and speak with us. It's been three weeks and he has not.

I have stayed in hotels probably 150 nights over the last few years and this was the absolute worst experience that i can remember.

Be well and beware of pretty photos and nice words ... it's the substance that matters.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is in a bad location with lots of indigent scary people walking the neighborhood,
the hotel has seen better days, the upholstery in the lobby is worn and very dirty, the valet is often missing, we had to carry up the luggage--the reception desk attendants are very nice and polite--the rooms are very very small- but clean with a comfortable bed-a clean bathroom but needs updating, and the towels are poor quality. Overall we would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I booked this hotel for our Anniversary after staying here a year earlier and finding the place to have the most excellent service.. above and beyond any other place I've stayed. Upon our arrival, I was notified that we were upgraded to a Whirlpool Suite compliments of the hotel. When I entered our room, which was very roomy and comfortable, I found complimentary champagne and even a Tiara and Card laying nicely on a pillow on the bed (I had commented to the hotel through Facebook that I wanted to be the Princess for the weekend). I had NO idea they would go to such lengths, and I have to say that never in my life have I felt so special! I'm a Mom of 4 and run a Day Care, so I am constantly taking care of others, and it is assumed by others that I don't need caring for myself. I DO, and THANK YOU so much to the Ambassador for making my weekend SO special! I LOVED the attention as I went about wearing my Tiara! Ppl actually thought I was someone "Important"! I really NEEDED that! I am forever grateful and can't wait to stay again!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Eatonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

This was a "coming home" trip - between two sets of family events and the Ambassador was much anticipated. We really needed a break for "just us" in a comfy, beautiful place where we could head out for dinner and drinks at the brewpubs without worrying about finding cabs, etc. The Ambassador was fabulous. From the first contact with guest relations well in advance of our stay (check out their VIP program for specials!) to the shuttle to downtown - we loved it. Based on some reviews of "noisy" I asked for a room off of Wisconsin Ave and it was provided. The Shuttle service was great - the driver fun and with good info. He came very promptly when we called. (No charge for shuttle, but a tip is customary.) Don't try to drive and park when you can use the shuttle!

I found lower rates by booking directly with the hotel and not using kayak or other searches.

Only downside - I was eagerly anticipating a breakfast of crab benedict in the onsite restaurant. We were seated very quickly, but waited about 15 minutes for a server to take our order. Then we waited about 30 minutes for breakfast which when it arrived was not the crab I'd ordered. We couldn't get the server's attention, so ate part of the regular benedict. The hostess noticed the problem, was very gracious and they made it right by taking the mis-ordered breakfast off the tab. They offered to redo, but we were pressed for time. Apparently they hadn't expected a crowd on Labor Day and were quite understaffed. Mistakes happen, they tried to do right by us.

We would definitely stay again - might try arriving earlier for breakfast tho! :-)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

True this hotel is not downtown but with the free shuttle it did not matter to us. This was our second stay here. We splurged on the king deluxe room which was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. There was a couch with coffee table, desk area, and an extra comfy chair. We ordered a movie which was great on a large screen TV. The service was great. Housekeeping saw my comments which mentioned that a radio would be nice and one was left in the room. True I wouldn't wander the opposite side of the hotel at night but there was no loud music or scary stuff when we were there over Labor Day weekend. The hotel was quite quiet actually. Service was very friendly, especially the bar tenders, shuttle drivers, and restaurant hostess. I love the bar with old fashioned cocktails and happy hour offering basically 2 for 1 old fashioned cocktails and martinis. There is a coffee shop where we had coffee and bagels each morning- the girl was efficient and friendly. I will always stay here when we come to Milwaukee because it's a bit different and offers a little charm.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We ended up here on a girls weekend... booked thru hotwire under the premise of Downtown 4 star hotel only $90 per night. SO NOT worth it! This hotel is NOT downtown it is like 30 blocks away past Marquette University on the 23rd block of Wisconsin Ave. If your new to the city it is scary. "Art deco". Staff was not knowledgable or friendly, did not assist with luggage and no cart was available we had to lug our things from a far away parking structure. No pool. Rooms were tiny, view is aweful. Aweful as in loud bangin gansta music blasting from the streets, prostitutes & drug deals happening right before your very eyes.
Good things include white fluffy robes, feather pillows & down comforters, comfortable bed if quiet enough outside to sleep. Coffee cafe & outdoor patio was nice. If this was fifty bucks a night & 2 stars it would be fine but 4 star downtown and expensive is ridiculous.For the price I would suggest aloft hotel which is actually downtown & worth the money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
AHAdministration, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
As the guest states in the review, we are located on 23rd and Wisconsin Ave. This is within the Downtown area. In addition, we offer a complimentary shuttle service that provides great transportation to and from anywhere in the downtown area that a guest wishes to go. This service allows guests to avoid the hassle and expense of parking in the surrounding downtown area. Upon entering the Ambassador, there is a main entrance area where guests are able to unload their cars under a protected Porte-cochère. This is where luggage carts are kept for guests to use. This is also where we have 2 bellmen and 1-2 shuttle drivers working at all times. From time to time, all of the bellmen and shuttle drivers are assisting other guests. This doesn't happen often, but unfortunately it does occur from time to time. Unlike any other Downtown hotel, we offer complimentary parking for our guests. When the structure was designed, we ensured that the walk from the brand new parking structure to the main entrance of the hotel is minimal. Being downtown, Wisconsin Avenue is a busy street, so there is a normal amount of traffic. We are not aware of any illegal activity occuring in the vacinity of the hotel. The police would be called immediately if such activity was occuring.

We hope that potential guests using this website to learn about our property take the time to view our website, ambassadormilwaukee.com and contact us directly if they have questions or concerns. Thank you for taking the time to read our response.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!