“OUTSTANDING Service above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2308 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Michigan
“OUTSTANDING Service above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I booked this hotel for our Anniversary after staying here a year earlier and finding the place to have the most excellent service.. above and beyond any other place I've stayed. Upon our arrival, I was notified that we were upgraded to a Whirlpool Suite compliments of the hotel. When I entered our room, which was very roomy and comfortable, I found complimentary champagne and even a Tiara and Card laying nicely on a pillow on the bed (I had commented to the hotel through Facebook that I wanted to be the Princess for the weekend). I had NO idea they would go to such lengths, and I have to say that never in my life have I felt so special! I'm a Mom of 4 and run a Day Care, so I am constantly taking care of others, and it is assumed by others that I don't need caring for myself. I DO, and THANK YOU so much to the Ambassador for making my weekend SO special! I LOVED the attention as I went about wearing my Tiara! Ppl actually thought I was someone "Important"! I really NEEDED that! I am forever grateful and can't wait to stay again!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Eatonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

This was a "coming home" trip - between two sets of family events and the Ambassador was much anticipated. We really needed a break for "just us" in a comfy, beautiful place where we could head out for dinner and drinks at the brewpubs without worrying about finding cabs, etc. The Ambassador was fabulous. From the first contact with guest relations well in advance of our stay (check out their VIP program for specials!) to the shuttle to downtown - we loved it. Based on some reviews of "noisy" I asked for a room off of Wisconsin Ave and it was provided. The Shuttle service was great - the driver fun and with good info. He came very promptly when we called. (No charge for shuttle, but a tip is customary.) Don't try to drive and park when you can use the shuttle!

I found lower rates by booking directly with the hotel and not using kayak or other searches.

Only downside - I was eagerly anticipating a breakfast of crab benedict in the onsite restaurant. We were seated very quickly, but waited about 15 minutes for a server to take our order. Then we waited about 30 minutes for breakfast which when it arrived was not the crab I'd ordered. We couldn't get the server's attention, so ate part of the regular benedict. The hostess noticed the problem, was very gracious and they made it right by taking the mis-ordered breakfast off the tab. They offered to redo, but we were pressed for time. Apparently they hadn't expected a crowd on Labor Day and were quite understaffed. Mistakes happen, they tried to do right by us.

We would definitely stay again - might try arriving earlier for breakfast tho! :-)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

True this hotel is not downtown but with the free shuttle it did not matter to us. This was our second stay here. We splurged on the king deluxe room which was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. There was a couch with coffee table, desk area, and an extra comfy chair. We ordered a movie which was great on a large screen TV. The service was great. Housekeeping saw my comments which mentioned that a radio would be nice and one was left in the room. True I wouldn't wander the opposite side of the hotel at night but there was no loud music or scary stuff when we were there over Labor Day weekend. The hotel was quite quiet actually. Service was very friendly, especially the bar tenders, shuttle drivers, and restaurant hostess. I love the bar with old fashioned cocktails and happy hour offering basically 2 for 1 old fashioned cocktails and martinis. There is a coffee shop where we had coffee and bagels each morning- the girl was efficient and friendly. I will always stay here when we come to Milwaukee because it's a bit different and offers a little charm.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We ended up here on a girls weekend... booked thru hotwire under the premise of Downtown 4 star hotel only $90 per night. SO NOT worth it! This hotel is NOT downtown it is like 30 blocks away past Marquette University on the 23rd block of Wisconsin Ave. If your new to the city it is scary. "Art deco". Staff was not knowledgable or friendly, did not assist with luggage and no cart was available we had to lug our things from a far away parking structure. No pool. Rooms were tiny, view is aweful. Aweful as in loud bangin gansta music blasting from the streets, prostitutes & drug deals happening right before your very eyes.
Good things include white fluffy robes, feather pillows & down comforters, comfortable bed if quiet enough outside to sleep. Coffee cafe & outdoor patio was nice. If this was fifty bucks a night & 2 stars it would be fine but 4 star downtown and expensive is ridiculous.For the price I would suggest aloft hotel which is actually downtown & worth the money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
AHAdministration, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
As the guest states in the review, we are located on 23rd and Wisconsin Ave. This is within the Downtown area. In addition, we offer a complimentary shuttle service that provides great transportation to and from anywhere in the downtown area that a guest wishes to go. This service allows guests to avoid the hassle and expense of parking in the surrounding downtown area. Upon entering the Ambassador, there is a main entrance area where guests are able to unload their cars under a protected Porte-cochère. This is where luggage carts are kept for guests to use. This is also where we have 2 bellmen and 1-2 shuttle drivers working at all times. From time to time, all of the bellmen and shuttle drivers are assisting other guests. This doesn't happen often, but unfortunately it does occur from time to time. Unlike any other Downtown hotel, we offer complimentary parking for our guests. When the structure was designed, we ensured that the walk from the brand new parking structure to the main entrance of the hotel is minimal. Being downtown, Wisconsin Avenue is a busy street, so there is a normal amount of traffic. We are not aware of any illegal activity occuring in the vacinity of the hotel. The police would be called immediately if such activity was occuring.

We hope that potential guests using this website to learn about our property take the time to view our website, ambassadormilwaukee.com and contact us directly if they have questions or concerns. Thank you for taking the time to read our response.
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I must admit I was expecting a lot- I had rented the King Whirlpool Suit for my husband as a birthday surprise. However, not only was I let down, I was downright disgusted. First the front service desk is quite possibly one of the rudest group of individuals I have come across in Milwaukee. When I visit Milwaukee I often comment on how nice the people are - well that is because all the hostel folks work for this hotel. The young man at the desk told us to wait aggressively while he 'yelled' at another hotel guest over the phone to move their car. He then threw the keys at us and didn't even tell us our room number let alone welcome and have a nice day.
We get to our room - one of the priciest rooms in the hotel. Not only is the room underwhelming, but it was DIRTY! We had BLOOD stains on our sheets and black marks all over the comforter. HOW DO YOU MISS BLOOD STAINS ON SHEETS! The best part is that when I called downstairs she didn't seem surprised by my findings, she didn't apologize, and she said she'd send someone up. 45 minutes later some came. She changed our sheets with the door wide open as we sat on the couch as if punished. The housekeeper was muttering to herself the entire time- and at no point did anyone seem disgusted by what they saw- which is what disturbed me the most.
We paid $273 for this room.
NEVER AGAIN. Go to County Clare. The room looks roughly the same (it also has a whirlpool) the rate is $145 and they are very hospitable and most importantly CLEAN!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
AHAdministration, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Please note that we are responding to the allegations with the guest directly, as this was not brought to our attention until well after the incident(s) allegedly occured.

There is no record to indicate that a complaint of any kind was made during the guest's stay. Also note that there was a Front Office Manager as well as a "Manager On Duty" (An Executive-Level Manager) on property the evening of this guest's stay. Neither manager has knowledge of these incidents having occured.
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I will begin by saying that the young gentleman who greeted me at the door was exceptional. He was funny and our family enjoyed him. The bar staff was phenomenal, especially the young brunette from UW (white-water I think), she was really amazing; truly world class. The restaurant manager or the guy with the bright and nice colored suit (I think Andrew) was an amazing host and a true professional. Ryan at the front desk was one of a kind, this guy did everything by the book and amazing. All of the front desk staff was great, especially Samantha. However, I encountered a man who I really could have went without. I saw the way he treated some of his employees and I felt offended and sorry for those individuals who work under this guy. I cannot recall his name, the employee referred to him as Mr...something? This Mr. (whatever) seemed to be a real piece of work, I will not stay at the hotel simply because of the way he treats his employees, at least from what I noticed. Other than management, the stay was great, shuttle service was awesome. Patrick and Santiago did not stand out as much as John (who is world class).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We recently spent one Saturday night at the Ambassador. We had tickets to a Brewers game Saturday night and Sunday afternoon so we were looking for a hotel nearby but also one where we could get a good night sleep, and that's what we got! Our room faced the parking lot so it is nice and quiet. The room was just the standard room and it was huge! Our bathroom was probably twice the size of a normal hotel room. The bed was comfy and thanks to the black out curtains we slept well! Our only two compliants (VERY MINOR) were that the ice machine on our floor was broken as was the floor above us so we had to carry out cooler up 2 flights of stairs. And our second was that the maid had letf a bottle of tilex hanging from the shower rod. Not a problem just a little weird. The bathroom looked clean, had a few stray hairs but as a girl with super long hair I am pretty use to shedding hair everywhere I go. We loved the location to Miller Park and it was reasonable enough. I was traveling with my husband and we are a younger couple but I never thought the neighborhood was unsafe. There isn't much around except a Taco Bell, McDonalds, and Marquette but for our purposes that was fine. We will definitely stay again when we go for a weekend of Brewer games.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!