“Great Milwaukee hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Milwaukee hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed here for a night after getting a great rate and were pleasantly surprised by how great the hotel is. It's a beautiful older building that is much nicer on the inside than you'd expect from the outside. Front desk staff was friendly if not a bit overwhelmed by the Saturday night crowd.

Typical for an old building, the elevators are old, cramped and sloooow. Take the stairs if you can. Other than that, no complaints!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest of the Ambassador! We look forward to your return to Milwaukee and the Ambassador.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Used Price Line to get a good rate. Asked for 2 beds on arrival and was upgraded to 2 queen room at no charge. Room was clean and good sized. The bathrooms are small with no shelf space so the bar area is also a sink backup area. It's OK but a little awkward. For a short stay it's fine. Parking is in a garage for $20 with in and out privileges. Located about 6 or 8 blocks from Marquette Univ. Area is OK not great. All in all for the price it was a good deal and I'd stay again for that price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We look forward to your return. Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on the Ambassador. It was our pleasure to serve you!
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We picked this hotel because of their advertising.

AMBASSADOR HOTEL MILWAUKEE
MILWAUKEE’S PREMIER HOTEL DESTINATION
A shining example of true Art Deco style, the Ambassador Hotel provides an urban oasis near the heart of downtown Milwaukee.

Discover a remarkable blend of modern amenities and 1920s Art Deco design. From the original marble floors and bronze elevator doors to the ornate plasterwork, every detail of the Ambassador Hotel is a testament to the bold beauty of Art Deco. Our spacious guest rooms share the same level of sophisticated décor. Guests enjoy luxurious bedding, HDTV and complimentary wireless Internet access.

First of all I'd like to tell you that the room is very meager. Not even a real closet. There is like a small armoire that you could barely fit 10 items. They don't have regular hangers either. Just the cheap hangers you get at the dollar store. Since we were staying for five days we brought lots of things with us and it's very cold here right now. When I asked for more hangers I got a mishmash of wire hangers and plastic hangers that were disgusting filthy and barely able to hold the warm clothes.

Since were here for this long we would like to watch some TV. That was out of the question. First of all they have hardly any channels. Then when we try to rent a movie they have satellite and satellite was not working. It has not worked up to this date we had people in our room three times and they reset it three times. It wasn't until the next day that they admitted that the whole hotel was experiencing problems in this area.
In the room tell me what hotel in Milwaukee Wisconsin would use satellite when they know that when it's cold satellite goes out. Now I will say that normally TV in the hotel room it's not that important to me, but my husband is here on business and it's -13° so little TV would of been very welcome. I think what pissed me off the most was that from day one they knew there was a problem and we were not informed upon check in.
The room service menu said that they serve till midnight. We went down to the restaurant at around 7 and told that we had to order right away because on Sunday and Monday the restaurant closes at 8 o'clock and you cannot get room service either. No food in the hotel after 8 o'clock and even if you're sitting in the restaurant at 7:45 you have to order your meal all at once so the restaurant staff can go home. On the upside the food was ok. This really pissed me off that at 8 you are stuck and if you don't have it well that's just too bad.

They also say that they have a shuttle that will take you to the mall. However their shuttle will only take you within a 2 mile radius and there is no shopping in the area other than an old mall with hardly anything in it.

The most disgusting thing I have to say is when the maid came to do service I wasn't feeling well so I was just getting supplies and the first day when I told her I need more glasses and gave her my glasses she said she would be right back. I didn't think anything of it. But on the third day I asked her don't you have glasses on your cart? To which she replied that they have to take the glasses and wash them by hand and she showed me a tiny little thing of dishwashing soap. I'm sorry that is disgusting I cannot even believe it. That a hotel would have the same mai who just cleaned your toilet wash your glasses at the same time disgusting. with all the sickness and germs I can't believe that they would not have more consideration for their patrons.
Yes the staff is wonderful here. Very very kind. However I could not recommend this hotel. I would not stay here again. If I would've known some of the stuff when I checked and especially about the glasses I definitely would've left.

I also want to mention that we got a room with a Jacuzzi and they advertise that they give Aveeda Bath salt with the Jacuzzi. When I asked for some she gave me one tiny thing of Bath salts and proceeded to tell me that if I wanted anymore I would be five dollars each.
UPDATE:
I was just this second told that the TV issue was only in our room from the front desk person who claims he told us that before and offered to move us. That was NOT made clear to us upon our first call to them. We were told by 3 people including the gentleman who came to our room that the entire hotel was experiencing this. Also they are taking off the parking fees to compensate. Wow!! Big deal! It certainly doesn't make up for this visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
We do offer guest rooms with full closets and would have been happy to accommodate all of the guests requests, if they were requested during her stay. Our hangers are all wood, as is customary in full service hotels. They are not plastic or metal. This particular room reported TV issues to our desk staff and the issues were resolved immediately during their stay by our vendor who sent a technician on-site. The hotel TV system is state-of-the-art and does provide many channels for our guest's enjoyment. Yes, on Sunday and Monday evenings our restaurant does close at 8pm. Our guests do enjoy complimentary appetizers in Envoy Lounge from 8pm - Midnight on those two evenings. Guests are never pushed out of the restaurant, especially if they are seated prior to closing. Our hotel shuttle service is available from 7:30am - Midnight every day of the week and transports all of our guests throughout the downtown Milwaukee area. In regards to the water glasses in the rooms, the guest's statement is entirely not true. All of the glassware is removed daily and run through the commercial dishwasher and returned to the guest rooms. Our guest's health and safety is of utmost importance and our staff takes great pride in providing the cleanest guest rooms in the city. Our General Manager would welcome a call from you to discuss your experience further personally. We would have happily resolved your issues during your stay, given the opportunity.
Toowoomba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My 10yr old son and I stayed 2 nights at the Ambassador 19-21 December 2013. We were given a corner room on the sixth floor which was very spacious. If you love Art Deco then this is the hotel for you! The food in the dining room and lounge bar was great. The shuttle bus service is excellent and the driver is very knowledgable about the area. I loved the era music playing throughout the hotel too. I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to serve you and your son during the holidays. Envoy is a great choice for dining in Milwaukee and we are delighted to here you enjoyed your selections and your entire stay at the Ambassador. We can't wait to have you back! Please know our Guest Experience Manager is looking forward to assisting you with the planning of your future visit with us.
Monona, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Physical properties of the hotel(beautiful art deco) were only enhanced by the well trained and attentive staff in addition to the shuttle service. This was probably our 8th trip here and we consistently recommend it to friends as well located destination in Milwaukee with excellent amenities! We both enjoy the combination of excellent dining, sports events and art venues. The shuttle service makes all of these more possible and provide an opportunity to leave our car in the well supervised Ambassador parking ramp. You'll see us again!

Room Tip: While we have never had a "bad" room in our many trips here, we have enjoyed the corner ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate being your choice of hotels in Milwaukee over the years. Thank you for continuing to promote the hotel and its staff to your friends and the traveling community. Our staff takes great pride in knowing they provide the highest level of service to our guests and exceed guest expectations. Our covered parking and complimentary shuttle service continue to be very popular amenities to our guests and offer a value to travelers to Milwaukee. It is our pleasure to continue to serve you and the staff is looking forward to your upcoming visit!
Rutherford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here in December for work. The location is great, it's in downtown Milwaukee. I was a little annoyed that I needed to pay $20 for parking. The hotel staff was very accommodating. The hotel itself definitely needs some updating. The eating area downstairs was old and the elevator door really freaked me out. You need to manually open the door to get in and out of the elevator. The room was rather small and the sink was outside the bathroom next to my bed which bothered me a bit. I was happy that there was a Starbucks attached to the hotel in the morning. However, it's a hotel Starbucks, therefore they did not have all of the beverages a regular Starbucks would have. However, I have to stay, I have stayed in downtown Milwaukee before and the other hotel I stayed at was also a bit outdated, so it must be a downtown Milwaukee thing. Decent one night stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
The Ambassador is located on the west end of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus. Our parking is a covered parking garage and provides the least expensive parking in downtown Milwaukee. We also provide complimentary shuttle service throughout your stay to avoid the hassles of driving and parking downtown. All of our guest rooms have two sinks (one is located in the bathroom and the other just outside the bathroom). Our guests love this feature, as it provides the opportunity for multiple guests to get ready each day at the same time. The elevator doors are the most talked about feature of our hotel. Guests really enjoy the historic charm of the elevators and many other features throughout the property. Caffé Deco is our coffee shop and serves Starbucks coffee and specialty drinks along with made-to-order breakfast and lunch sandwiches each day. Guests rave about the convenience of the coffee shop on property for those on the go or looking for a more casual atmosphere for breakfast or lunch. We do look forward to the opportunity to have you back to the Ambassador and thank you for choosing us for your recent stay.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here for a night last winter with my wife and another couple and had a real nice experience. I love legitimate Art Deco style and architecture so this kind of place is right up my alley. The building itself did not disappoint and the rooms and staff were very nice and accommodating. The price was definitely fair too even though we booked pretty last minute.

The location is also great (a little west of downtown and pretty much on Marquette's campus) and they also offer a free shuttle to take you around town if needed. In fact, the shuttle actually picked us up from a bar a couple miles away from the hotel fairly late at night so that was a huge help! I would certainly recommend the Ambassador Hotel if you need a spot to stay in Milwaukee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
It was our pleasure to have you at the Ambassador on your recent visit to Milwaukee. Milwaukee has so many things to offer and our shuttle service is a great way to get you around town. We are located on the west end of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus. We appreciate you choosing the Ambassador and our staff is looking forward to assisting you with your future accommodations.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!