“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Seekonk, Massachusetts
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was traveling on business and recieved the best shuttle service I have ever experienced from Sam! He was extremely helpful in getting us to and from our meeting, reserving a cab for our trip back to the airprot and shuttling us to and from the Public market so we could do a little shopping. The Ambassador is a beautiful hotel and the free shuttle service is a great amenity.
Thank you Ambassodor and especially Thank you Sam !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your great experience during your visit with us! Our shuttle staff is exceptional and strives to ensure your transportation needs are seemless and enjoyable during your time in Milwaukee. We do look foward to your return soon!

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Nolanville, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was booked in to the Ambassador by a client, so I had no idea what to expect. Got there about 11:30 at night and I was pooped. The front desk person was very nice, they even upgraded my room to one on the 8th (top) floor with a Jacuzzi spa tub (not a bath tub).

The room was very nicely furnished and big. Several things didn't work includign two of the lights and the telephone. Speaking of lights, there were a bunch and I could never figure out all the light switches. When you hit the master switch it turns everything off (and I do mean everything, including the bedside clock.).

The breakfast the next morning was top notch. For $8 you get a real breakfast with real china. Service was wonderful.

The only real downside is the area. As best as I can tell it wasn't near anything and it didn't look too safe to be out walking the streets around the hotel.

Buyt the people at the front desk were really nice and the property is very well kept. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell none of the rooms have any kind of view, so I would think one would not be bett...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
The hotel is located on the west side of downtown at the Marquette University campus. Our location provides the perfect place to experience many of Milwaukee's events and attractions and our complimentary shuttle service takes out the hassle of walking or parking at your destination. Our King Whirlpool Suites provide spacious accommodations and in-room whirlpool for our guests to unwind from their long travels. Envoy is a great option for breakfast at the hotel and provides an added value to our guests. We look forward to having you back real soon!
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotwire called this place downtown, I have a $10.00 cab bill that says it is not.
Check in was quick, but the attendant brought up that I booked through Hotwire a few times, like she was disappointed that I didn't book direct. (had I known the location was so far from downtown, I would never have booked here.)

The hotel was a nice old building, but it is in a sketchy area (another reason not to stay here).
The elevator was really old looking, you had to open a door to enter and exit it, it was kind of neat.
Our room was ok, the beds were kind of old and a bit saggy, you could call the concierge if you wanted a different pillow, but you couldn't order a different bed, that would have been better.
My girlfriend called the number on out room key folder to arrange a shuttle ride and received confirmation it was reserved for the next morning.
However, when we went downstairs a bit early to get the shuttle, the driver argued with her, saying that she had never called since we weren't on his list, and he is the only one who takes the shuttle calls.
She got sick of arguing and asked him to call her a cab, he said that even though we weren't on the list, he would take us.

The exact same argument happened the next morning with another guest.
So there is obviously a disconnect somewhere, the shuttle driver should not be taking this out on paying guests, fix it internally and never tell a paying guest that they lied.
The shuttle is the only reason to stay at this hotel, since it is on the edge of town, when the shuttle ride is a hassle, there is no need to return to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The Ambassador has providing legenday service to our guests for over 85 years. It is unfortunate that we didn't meet your expectations during your stay. Our staff consistently exceeds guest expectations and we look forward to the opportunity to have you back again. Our location on the west side of downtown is located at the Marquette University campus and our shuttle service is an amenity our guests rave about. I would be happy to discuss your recent stay in more detail with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at the Ambassador the weekend of Sept 21 for a family event. The hotel is located near (across the street basically) from the Marquette University campus, but not really close to the downtown area and major attractions; the museum, cathedral or lake. It is a lovely property, but it is not in LA or NYC, 20 bucks to park and they have a large surface lot and a garage on site, so that was a bit much, given there is not much else in the area. The rooms are very nice, new bedding, flat screen TV, large bathroom but expensive mini-bar and a large bottle of water with a six dollar price tag...this is bad enough in LA or NYC but MILWAUKEE - come on! Our room was 409, last room in the hall, next to the ice machine, which is behind a door, seems like a good idea, no, door banging all night long with people getting ice. I would advice against this room. Check out is 11am, however, on Sunday this can be extended to 2pm, but you must purchase the hotel brunch at $16.95/person. Lobby is small, but attractive, nice business center, nice bar, small fitness room in the lower level. The complimentary shuttle service seems to be a good deal, we did not use this, walked instead. No complimentary coffee in the lobby, but small coffee maker in the room. There is not a pool at this hotel. I was not happy with our check in experience, our room was one of five purchased in a promotion the hotel offered. All five rooms were were being used by our family members. The family member (living in Milwaukee) who purchased this offer had a certificate that she took to the hotel the week before we arrived. We checked in first and the woman checking us in could not find my name, okay, but she was dismissive at best - find my confirmation number or she could not help me, I explained what was going on and gave her the other names on the reservation, all there, mine under my husband's name, okay fine. She asked for the certificate regarding the promotion. I explained this had been taken care of, she said she had no record of that and I needed to call whoever had the certificate to bring it in. NO, I again explained this had been taken care of. She started protesting, but fortunately another staff member came over and told her to check us in, the promotion was valid. The hotel is quite expensive and we had a good deal, but I don't expect to be quizzed at check-in. Also, I had called ahead and asked for a room with 2 beds, she again said no, not available, hotel booked and no rooms with 2 beds available. I again said I had requested this via telephone contact was told this would be available - she said no - gave us king room with fold out couch. My sister-in-law checks in 20 minutes later, had booked king room, gets room with 2 beds, which was not available to me a few minutes prior - REALLY!!!! Each member of our party was asked for the certificate for the promotion when checking in. I gave the clerk at the desk the names of everyone who was on the promotion when I check in so they could avoid the certificate hassle, but they did not. Overall, lovely property, but the pricey minibar, water and parking seems unnecessary given the hotel location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
The Ambassador is located on the west side of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus. We do offer a complimentary shuttle service throughout downtown Milwaukee for our guests. It is an amenity our guests rave about -- the ease of getting to and from their favorite destinations. Our apologies for the situation upon your arrival with your reservation details. Our staff is the best in Milwaukee and strive to exceed your expectations. Our parking is the least expensive in Milwaukee and provides our guests with the added value of parking your car and being able to use our complimentary shuttle service throughout their stay.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Hotel and room was awesome. Staff could not have been more friendly. Shuttle service was a bonus! Was our first trip to Milwaukee, won't be our last and without question, will stay at The Ambassador. Thanks Andrew for taking the time to talk with us, you are delightful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great feedback! We look forward to having you back to Milwaukee and to the Ambassador!
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

A fantastic hotel. The free shuttle service was great and our driver Sam made our stay in Milwaukee a memorable one. He gave us great tips and we were able to fit a lot in during our 2 day stay. We'll be back for sure. Thanks Sam!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We are always delighted when our guests describe their stay with us as fantastic! We believe our guests are fantastic and we look forward to providing legendary service each and every day. Come back soon! Our shuttle staff has many more tips on sites to see. Thank you for choosing the Ambassador!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We booked this hotel on the Internet was were overwhelmed by the fabulous restoration, beautiful. commodious, comfortable rooms. Service was excellent. Free shuttle service anywhere downtown. Excellent dinner was a deal (2 3 course dinners for $40) with excellent service and ambiance. Great bar with great bar food. What a find! We'd come back to Milwaukee just to stay here and see the wings open or close on the art gallery. Breakfast in same location (Envoy) was also excellent and $8.50pp. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: All are quiet, large, and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. The Dinner for Two special in our Envoy Restaurant is becoming very popular and we are delighted you enjoyed yourselves. The Calatrova addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum is a popular attraction, especially to see the opening or closing of the wings. There are so many things to do in Milwaukee and we look forward to having you back in the near future.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!