“4 star” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
livonia,mi.
“4 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

we stayed here for 2 nights while attending a BREWER game.the hotel is considered in the downtown area but it really is not. it is on the very outskirts of downtown.our room with 2 queens was excellent.immaculately clean with all the conveniences. the hotel has coffee shop,full bar and restaurant. the hotel shuttle FOR US was excellent. it took us to the ball game in 5 minutes. it took us to the river walk and to the lake front. we had absolutely no problems with the shuttle. the on site parking for 20.00 was excellent(cheap for a 4 star hotel) and you park your own car in their covered garage deck.i would stay here again BUt if the city is jammed by the summer festivals,you might want to stay closer to downtown. of course, you will pay much more. we got an excellent rate on priceline.

Room Tip: upper floors corner rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the Ambassador and the many amenities we offer to our guests. The shuttle is a very convenient way to travel around the city and by far is the most popular amenity of the hotel. We are located on the west side of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus Our location is within close proximity to many of the Milwaukee's most popular attractions and venues, including Miller Park. We look foward to your return in the future and thank you for choosing the Ambassador.

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Ambassador for 3 nights while we were visiting Milwaukee for job interviews in the city. There was a major event going on in the city, so hotel rooms were hard to come by. When we first checked in, my wife and I thought it was cute and stylish. However, the longer we were there the less and less we liked it.
Hotel itself: it is impossible to get cell phone signal while in the hotel. We had several dropped calls while we were there. At one point my wife had a dropped call while walking through the lobby and a hotel employee said, "you won't get signal in here. You'll have to go over by the windows." Very frustrating. If you have or are expecting any important phone calls, absolutely do not stay here.
Room: When you first walk into the room, it seems great. The longer we were there, the more and more we disliked it. The bathroom is quite small. The toilet itself is smaller than an average sized toilet (I wasn't even aware there were various toilet sizes). Not only was the toilet small, but it was SO close to the wall that it was almost unusable. The bed was a little on the hard side, but the pillows seemed like they were made of concrete. If you do chose to stay here, I highly recommend bringing your own pillows.
Service: When checked into our room on Sunday, there was a used wine glass in the hallway a few doors down. When we checked out on Wednesday morning, that same wine glass was still there. Our room was made ever day. That means the maid service walked past that glass at least 3 times as they were outside that specific room when we left. We had several used glasses in our room from the lobby bar that sat in our room for two days before being taken out by the maid service and set on the floor next to our door. They sat there on the floor for another day.
Miscellaneous: Parking in most of Milwaukee is difficult and limited. However I find it upsetting that I was required to pay $20/night for parking at a hotel I'm already paying to stay at. There is a parking garage, so parking is safe and secure. The area around the hotel is a little questionable. If you go east down Wisconsin Ave (towards Marquette University), you'll be fine. However if you go west down Wisconsin Ave, you won't feel quite as safe. It's a little sketchy from 26th-40th on Wisconsin Ave. There is a free shuttle that will take you to downtown. We called twice for the shuttle service. The first time we called the shuttle driver set the departure time (within 15 minutes of when we wanted to leave). The driver showed up 5 minutes late. Very frustrating when he sets the departure time but isn't there at the time he set. The second time we attempted to use the shuttle service there was a 90 minute wait as the shuttle was being used to transport people to the concert at Miller Park.
Overall: we would not stay here again and we don't recommend you do either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
The hotel addressed bathroom size during the restorartion and renovation of the Ambassador a few years ago. We added a wet bar complete with spacious counter and additional sink outside the bathrooms to enhance the area for our guests to get ready each day. We have received many compliments on the added space and how convenient it is for two or more travelers to be able to get ready at the same time, not having to share the bathroom at the same time. We recognize that our guests have different pillow preferences and a few months ago we introduced our new Pillow Menu. Guests are able to choose their level of comfort during their stay by choosing from a selection of pillows that can be delivered at their request.

The cost for parking at the hotel is the lowest of all Milwaukee downtown hotels and does provide an abundance of parking for our guests. Our complimentary shuttle service is one of our most popular amenities and is a service we provide to all of our guests. Our staff takes great pride in accommodating our guests requests for drop-off and pick-up on a first come, first served basis. They receive many compliments from on how they consistently go above and beyond to transport our guests throughout the city.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ambassador last fall and it was everything and more than what we expected. The architecture is beautiful. The location is perfect and not far from many different attractions. Yes if you go 2 blocks in the wrong direction it gets pretty bad. Don't go there. The staff friendliness especially the bar and the shuttle were some of the highlights of our stay. We brought kayaks and bikes and the bike trails were very accessible and extensive in that area. The bell man even let us lock up our bikes in a downstairs office so we did not have to take them up to our room. Gonna plan another trip this August. Oh and food was awesome...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay with us! Thank you for highlighting some of our most popular amenities. The Hank Aaron State Trail and kayaking is also very convenient for our guests, just located down the street in the Menomonee Valley. Envoy is a great place to dine and it appears you enjoyed your time there too. We look forward to your August trip to the Ambassador.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I was told several times including the day of and at check in that they had a shuttle running to and from summerfest. Heck, that is why we booked this hotel in the first place. Lets face it, the neighborhood isn't one to be walking around and a shuttle is necessary and it's too far off the main downtown path. They told us that the shuttle would drop us off at summerfest on the 1/2 hour, every hour and pick up to bring back on the hour. Last pick up was midnight. We were at the pick up at 11:45 pm and so were about 15 other people. The shuttle never showed and when we finally reached someone at the hotel to find out the shuttle guy was gone for the day. A cab ride and $20 later we finally made it back to the hotel. I would have expect them to compensate our inconvenience by at LEAST giving us our $20 hotel parking fee back. Nope, in fact, John, the general manager wouldn't even come out of his office and talk to me when I specifically asked to speak to the manager. They did nothing for our inconvenience. Needless to say, I have never been treated with such disrespect or poor customer service. They think that the fact the shuttle is complimentary is reason not to pick up. In the end it is .... Yes they will pick up or No they won't pick up and not maybe we will. Again in the end we were promised something and they didn't deliver and left us stranded and additional cab fees. I'll go somewhere else next time. It's been interesting sharing this story with everyone I know and know and see.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Our hotel shuttle service did indeed transport thousands of hotel guests to and from Summerfest this year. The shuttle service is complimentary to all of our guests, regardless of their destination and does depart the hotel each hour at the bottom of the hour and returns guests at the top of the hour each hour. Our guests are also informed at time of arrival of the specific challenges after 11pm at Summerfest and we cannot guarantee any pick-ups after that time, as there are hundreds of guests using this service all at the same time. We inform the guests that after 11pm a taxi is the guaranteed recommendation for a return to the hotel. As for our customer service, we are constantly receiving compliments on the excellent customer service our team delivers to our guests. The General Manager also wasn’t on property at the time the guest stipulates and thus wasn’t personally available to meet with the guest at that time.
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Ambassador every July for the past several years. I love the art deco interior and historic feel. The public areas are really cool and always well kept. I have enjoyed sitting outside sharing a drink with friends as well as outside dining. The rooms are huge and have all the modern conveniences but maintain that historic feel. I never hear a sound from outside or other rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your continued business. We are very much looking forward to your visit again next July....or earlier! We appreciate your business and for you taking the time to share your past experiences of the Ambassador. See you in 2014.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I got a room at the Ambassador on a hotwire deal. Initially, I was not thrilled, after seeing some of the reviews. I decided to write because we were so pleased with our stay. The hotel is just a few blocks west of Marquette campus. It is elegant, like a step back in time. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The parking structure is very well lit, very close to the hotel, and the parking spaces are a nice size even for larger vehicles - much better than the parking ramps at other Milwakee hotels I have visited. We did not use the shuttle but it is a very nice feature - runs until midnight and will take you anywhere within a few mile radius, including Miller Park. There is a nice outdoor seating area for a drink or morning coffee. The room itself was comfortable, clean, and very quiet. Thanks to the excellent light blocking drapes you can make the room very dark - we slept long past our usual time without any noise from housekeeping, other guests or traffic. I think the old well built building makes for a quieter stay. In the morning we walked a few blocks to a local breakfast diner (Miss Katie's Diner) and had a great meal. Overall a very nice visit. I would definitely stay there again, especially if attending a Brewer's game.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Ambassador. We are happy you enjoyed many of the features and amenities we offer our guests. We look forward to your return to Milwaukee and the Ambassador Hotel.
green bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had purchased a package at charity event that was intended to be an overall all event. Tickets to the main entertainment, travel, dining and then included two nights at the Ambassador. The entertainment was very specific on the date obviously. With being a charity event you can imagine we paid much much more than any of the items could have possible all together totalled in value.
Much to our dismay when trying to book our reservation for the nights of the event, we were told they were 'black out dates' for any gift certifiates. "read the fine print on the gift certificate that indidcates 'subject to availability'". OK, well that didn't go as planned.
As I do a lot of business also in Milwaukee, however not from the area- I was directed to other and very nice accomodates.
Since that date I have tried on numerous occasions to use the certificates for things we were traveling to Milwaukee for. Out of a convenient coincidence always seemingly to fall on "black out dates".
Most recently trying to book for an upcoming trip where I purchased tickets for a ball game and hoped to take our daughter the zoo the following day. Again now have been told- big suprise... Black out date. I even have offered to again pay any differences if there is no 'standard' rooms available. I offered to use the two night stay for just one night... (Just to get some value from the certificates) I was told that would not be acceptable. Basically all summer will be covered with black out dates as they know they will sell the rooms, so no need to accept gift certificates. Wow. That says something about this establishment in my book.
Not thinking about what they could gain as I am in the area quite a bit and could gain a new/frequest guest. Just thinking about the immediate buck to be made. Not about the committments and dollars all ready made in gift certificates. I have left messages for management in an attempt for a miracle - with the upcoming ball game, however not holding my breath at this point. If I would get somewhere.. I will be the first to update this feedback. Right now just giving my feedback and guest beware if you have gift certificates or thinking of getting them for someone- for the ambassador.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
The hotel donates complimentary gift certificates to charitable organizations throughout the year as part of its philanthropic giving. The certificates are valid from one year of issuance, offering an abundance of opportunities to redeem the certificates. Unfortunately, in this guest’s situation, the first attempt was a sold out situation when rooms were not available. The second request was during a city wide convention when supply was extremely limited and our inventory for complimentary rooms had already been depleted. It is common practice in the travel industry to have a limited number of rooms allocated daily for complimentary stays. The complimentary certificates do say “Subject to Availability” and “Not Valid on Black-out Dates”. On the contrary, we have very few dates that are considered “Black Out” dates during the course of the year. We offered to assist this guest in making a reservation for a future date to ensure use of the certificates and the guest declined.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!