“Summerfest Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Madison, Wisconsin
“Summerfest Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family stayed one night for Summerfest 2013. We booked the hotel on Priceline so we didn't have a choice as it was last minute and took what we could get. We were pleasantly surprised by the Ambassador Hotel experience. Some said it was in a bad section of town, but that's not entirely true and technically it's not really "downtown" Milwaukee. It's on the west side of the interstate that divides Milwaukee. Very short $10 cab ride to the center of downtown and all the action. The room was great and the staff very helpful. Great bar and restaurant, also a Starbucks in the front of the lobby. The elevators are very unique and it's like stepping back in time...the 20's. The one downer was we were there for Summerfest and they promised free shuttle service to and from Summerfest grounds. On the way to Summerfest the driver let us out in the middle of the Third Ward six blocks from the Summerfest grounds. Not sure why they pick that as the drop off spot. Other than that great hotel and beautiful property.

Room Tip: The higher to go the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us this year during Summerfest. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our many on-property amenities. As for our shuttle service to Summerfest, the drop-off location for Summerfest is located on Chicago Street, four blocks west of the main gate entrance. This location was chosen as a benefit to our guests and the ability to transport our guests in a timely manner to and from Summerfest, while still servicing guests at other destinations throughout Milwaukee’s downtown area. We have been using this same location for the past 8 years and our guests have appreciated the ease of arriving and departing Summerfest. The late evening pick-ups from the Summerfest grounds are not conducive to getting any closer to the gates, as the Milwaukee Police department does barricade the streets, preventing us from getting any closer than the location we currently use. We choose to use this location during the duration of the festival at all times of the day to avoid confusion for our guests of being dropped off at one location and picked up at one they are not familiar with. We look forward to your return to the Ambassador.

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Whitewater, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was helpful and polite. The room was large and comfortable. The elevators were fun. The shower was great! Everything was very clean. People mention that its not in a great area, but its not a bad area either. Its right by Marquette University. There is a parking garage and a shuttle to key places. We were very pleased.

• Stayed July 2013
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your time at the Ambassador. Thank you for highlighting our great staff and our convenient location near Marquette University. We look forward to having your back real soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed one night for Summerfest 2013. I thought the hotel, which has obviously been extensively rehabbed, was a great example of art deco style in the lobby and clean and crisp in the room. I was upgraded to a "King Room", which I was told was bigger than the standard room. I agree, as it had plenty of space, and was nicely done. I didn't notice any problems with cleanliness in my room, and certainly not in the public area. Of course, I only stayed in one room so I can't answer for them all. There was one bathrobe, an iron and ironing board, a room safe, and sufficient thick towels. The bathtub/shower looked perfectly tiled. There was a big flat-screen TV, certainly 46", maybe larger, and the on-screen menu worked about 100% better than the TV's in the Four Seasons hotels I've stayed in. Weirdly enough, however, the remote was missing the cap to the main OK button, so I had to press down on a semi-sharp part of it. Not a big deal, and if I was there for more than one night I would have had it replaced. Bed was good, a little softer than I like, and the pillows (six of them) were a little harder, but overall pretty good. There was a pillow menu available, so I could have chosen different types, but once again, I didn't bother since it was only one night. There was also a nice, new-looking sleeper sofa. Minibar has a good selection at fairly reasonable prices for a hotel, but it is one of those where "you move it, you bought it" styles. I'm sure they will adjust at checkout, but these are still a pain for the guest, good fir the hotel.

So, overall, I was pleased with the room. There was no noise at all around me, but I was there on a somewhat slower weeknight.

There is a workout room with one treadmill, steppers, a weight machine and a few other machines. It's sufficient unless there are a lot of people using it. There're also laundry facilities so you can do your own wash if you want.

There are two restaurants, one a dining room with an ambitious menu, the other a bar/cafe. I didn't try the dining room, since I was there for Summerfest, but I did eat in the cafe. I ate there when I returned from the festival, since I was pretty hungry. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant was still open when I returned. I was told that it's open til 2 am. I had crabcakes and a burger. Both were good and prices were okay.

As mentioned in a few reviews, the neighborhood is a little sketchy and I probably wouldn't be wandering around outside at night. But it's right by Marquette University, and I may be imagining things.

The hotel was five or ten minutes at most from downtown and Summerfest, and their free shuttle was convenient. It was driven by an extremely polite young man and ran essentially every hour, leaving the hotel on the half-hour and picking up on the hour. However, they gave us a phone number to call when we were ready and the driver seemed able to pick up at other times. Once again, maybe because we were there on a slower day. But, it was easy and if you were unable to wait for it, a cab would probably be about ten dollars or so. The shuttle will also go to the casino and other places in the downtown area. It runs until midnight if requested.

Self-parking in a covered garage ramp is $20 for overnights with full in-and-out privileges. However, I was concerned about parking, so I booked on Pricelines' Express Deal because it specifically offered free parking. When I got to the hotel, they said that it wasn't mentioned in my Priceline reservation, but it only took a little prodding to get them to okay the free parking. I would have been unhappy had they not done so, because I paid the extra $10 or so to get the express deal instead of bidding or using Hotwire just so I would be assured of free parking. Anyway, they graciously honored it and I was satisfied with that.

I would stay there again for the right price, but if I wanted to be able to wander around the Third Ward area (Milwaukee's downtown) and walk back to my hotel, I'd probably make a different choice.

By the way, when in Milwaukee, try to stop in at The Safe House, the spy-themed bar-restaurant. I don't know how the food is, but if you like spies (real or fictional) at all, be sure to go there for at least a drink.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to review our hotel and share your positive experience with the Trip Advisor community. The Ambassador went through a complete restoration and renovation in 2005 to bring back the Milwaukee icon to its original splendor. We appreciate your choosing us during your recent visit to Milwaukee and look forward to being able to serve you on your return trip. Keep in mind, we do have the complimentary shuttle service that would be happy to transport you to the Third Ward and back when you return.
Beecher, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights this past weekend for Summerfest. Never stayed here before so I picked it. I Should have read the reviews a bit better before choosing. This hotel is placed in a not so good area of Milwaukee. That being said, the hotel, parking garage, and outside perimeter is enclosed with tall fencing. The place is quite old, but has been somewhat remodeled to keep an "art deco" style, from what I was told from people there and hotel staff. The staff at the desk were extremely helpful and nice. That was a huge plus for this place. The hotel does offer transportation via a nice shuttle van, to anywhere you would like to go by request. Another plus! We had a single bed room. Room was decent, not an outrageous amount of space, but I wasn't looking for a huge room. The bathroom is tight, but more than enough room to do your business. I was displeased by the amount of small hairs all over the bathroom, on the toilet, toilet seat, floor and all through the shower. So I assume cleaning is not a top priority here. But none the less, the place served it's purpose. Parking is a mandatory $20.00 a night, nothing to complain about here because I never had to move my vehicle. The free shuttle service brought us to where we pleased. Decent place, bad location and area, but I never once felt threatened or insecure about the safety of the place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your positive praise of our staff. Our staff prides itself on providing the highest level of service to our guests. We are located in an urban neighborhood on the west end of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus and provide abundant parking and complimentary shuttle service to many of the areas events and attractions. We are reviewing your comments with our housekeeping staff, as we do receive compliments daily on how clean and fresh our guest rooms are. We would never want a less than perfect room to be given to any of our guests. We do look forward to your return to the Ambassador in the future.
Tinley Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family decided to go to Summerfest and made a reservation to stay at the Ambassador Hotel for 13 days. I called before I made the reservation and asked if the shuttle will take you to and from Summerfest since I am handicapped. I was told yes they run the shuttle until 12:00. Many of the well known bands play at 10:00 and don't finish until 11:45. This gives you just enough time to get the shuttle back. What the staff doesn't tell you is that it all depends on if the people who drive the shuttle feel like working that long. On Sunday 6/30/13 we got to the street where the shuttle picks you up at 11:45 and there were about 15 other people already waiting. The shuttle never came back to pick us up and we all had to take cabs back. That was $18 for the ride on top of the$20 per night that you have to pay for parking. The manager refused to talk with us about why the shuttle didn't come back that night. The staff is very rude and makes you feel as if you're bothering them if you ask a question. These people need to realize that they work for a service oriented business and their jobs depend on how they treat their customers. If people don't come back-they're out of a job. Clean up your act Ambassador Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
The Ambassador offers a complimentary first-come shuttle service operating until Midnight each day. We are diligent in providing information to our guests attending Summerfest that there are hundreds of guests utilizing the service to and from the Summerfest grounds. Prior to departing for Summerfest, guests are informed that after 11:00pm we can make no guarantees on the return trips to the hotel, as there are over 100,000 people departing the grounds at that time and often police barricades and high levels of traffic prevent us from getting all of our guests. We do announce on each departure to Summerfest that a taxi is a guaranteed transportation method back from Summerfest after 11pm. However, we did extend our shuttle service until 12:30am on the weekends of Summerfest, providing two shuttles making continuous trips back to the hotel. We receive many compliments about our staff daily and the high level of customer service they provide to our guests. Our guests are never a bother and we would be happy to discuss your recent stay with you directly at your convenience.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I really do want to rate the Ambassador 4-5 circles but unfortunately, I can't.
I'd give it 3.5 if possible after a 3 night stay during Summerfest 2013.
It's definately better than average...but "very good" might be a stretch. It is just "Good"

On the positive side:
Beautiful restored Art Deco 1920's hotel. Love those old hotels? Then you'll like the design.
LARGE room (604 is a great corner room!)
Quiet
Friendly service
Coffee at Cafe Deco is NOT a ripoff. Had expected it would be. $1.80 for a nice cup of joe.
I booked direct with hotel and feel I got a fair rate since it was during Summerfest.

The negatives:
Location is too far from Downtown to walk to or from and area is not safe to walk around at night. Hotel will counter that they have free shuttle service, which they do, but i'd rather stay at a hotel that I can walk to at midnight with a reasonable level of comfort in my personal safety.

Large stains on carpet in room 604. Not their fault for causing...but thier fault for not cleaning.
Really uncomfortable pillows.

Parking charges $20 per day. I guess when it's too dangerous to park in the neighborhood, you have no choice. If it were $10 a day i wouldn't mention. This definately brought down the "value" score.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We are located on the west side of downtown Milwaukee at the Marquette University campus. Our guests rave about our complimentary shuttle service and by far it is our most popular amenity. Our parking fees are the lowest offered in downtown Milwaukee and includes covered garage parking for all of our guests. We do offer a complimentary Pillow menu for our guests to choose their level of pillow comfort during their stay. Thank you for highlighting the Art Deco style, which the hotel has been know for over the past 85 years.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Overall it was an ok stay. Very large rooms and air conditioning worked well. I have to agree with the other reviews about the hotel's cleanliness. Our shower curtain was pretty gross, the bathrobe was shreaded (weird!) and had brown stains, and there was something that looked like puke on the ceiling. We've stayed in other hotels in the area before and will choose one of those again in the future. It's a beautiful old hotel with a lot of charm, but for the amount they charge per night, it should be cleaner.

• Stayed June 2013
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Guests are consistenly praising our Housekeeping staff’s attention to detail. We did not receive any complaints during this stay, as we would have rectified the situation immediately for the guest. Our staff prides themselves on providing our guests with the cleanest rooms in Milwaukee.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!