“well-lit, relaxing room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“well-lit, relaxing room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel is adjacent to Marquette University, convenient if you need to be there. I walked downtown as far as the Public Market--over an hour, but there is a shuttle and public buses running up and down Wisconsin.
My room was spacious, quiet, and very relaxing. I truly appreciated the recessed lighting in the ceiling. So many hotel rooms are so dark. For once I could read without wishing I had a head lamp. One of the best rooms I've stayed in.
No free breakfast. There is some sort of diner nearly next door or the restaurant (typically a bit pricey) or coffee shop in the lobby. The workout room was small but adequate, since no one else was there when I was.
My only "cons" are that the music in the lobby area is very loud, so that one's impression on arrival is the opposite of relaxing, and that the shuttle is "first come first serve." I was able to get the shuttle both times I asked, but on the first occasion it was a bit iffy, and I hadn't been warned when I called for a reservation.

Room Tip: My room faced the street but was separated from the street by the parking courtyard, and so quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
united states
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Ambassador Hotel for three (maybe 4 years) in a row. A wonderful place, nice room that are large and clean and beds that you can sink into and sleep!!!! Very Very well maintained! Excellent food and everyone each year is so welcoming. This place is a gem! Love it here.

la crosse, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a meeting in Milwaukee and booked the Ambassador hotel sight unseen (they had free parking, a shuttle service, and a good price). When I arrived I was immediately impressed by the lobby. It was stunningly fashionable. The check-in person happened to be explaining the history of the hotel to another customer, but was kind enough to check me in quickly and then return to finish his story. I checked into my room, which was clean, spacious and up-to-date. I decided to stop in at the bar to catch the Brewer game which I had seen was on TV when I arrived. The bartender was very attentive and even chatted with me about Milwaukee's history and current economic challenges. On my way back to the room, I inquired about the shuttle and they put me on the schedule for the next morning. The bed was comfortable and there were several different pillows so I was able to choose a feather pillow, which I prefer.
The next day, the shuttle was on time and the driver was very courteous and helpful. I enjoyed a first rate experience from the time I arrived to when I checked out.

Interestingly, I happened to share this with my mother who attended Marquette University in the 60's. She laughed and told me that The Ambassador Hotel was her parent's favorite place to stay when they visited her. So I apparently rediscovered a family favorite.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Marquette family knows about this hotel and restaurant, but hidden from the rest. Hidden but in plan view this remodeled Art Deco gem is great for Drinks and apps, Breakfast, lunch and dinner and sleeping. But is one of the most interesting places to visit in Milwaukee. Just for fun check out the coffee shop. Great for all kinds of ventures, business, family, couples, friends and even by yourself. enjoy. Centrally located and close to Miller Park...

Room Tip: Ask for best/most interesting available, you might end up pleasantly surprised.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived this was a perfect place to stay. The lobby is beautiful. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay amazing. The rooms were spacious and beautiful. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Clarkston, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had a great stay at the Ambassador Hotel. Very charming and the staff were outstanding. The Concierge, Sam, went out of his way to ensure our stay was satisfactory. We asked about the Pabst Mansion and he gave us discount tickets. He found out we had tickets for the Brewers game and he scheduled us for the free shuttle later that evening. The Ambassador was quite old, however, very well maintained.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Had a great stay . Great Staff, no issues at all.Used the shuttle service, which is great, don't have to worry about going out and driving. Everyone was helpful and friendly.The restaurant was reasonably priced and the food was good. The ambassador is close to alot of the theatres in the area, which is what I was attending.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!