“Very charming and a great value (Priceline)” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2308 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Very charming and a great value (Priceline)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Upon arrival, a friendly and helpful front desk clerk greeted us. We asked him about the casino and he immediately offered us a voucher for $15 in free slot play and suggested we take advantage of their free shuttle.

We stayed on the second floor (205) in the front of the hotel. With our room being by the busy street, I was concerned about street noise but that was a non-issue. The room was large and relativity clean except for the safe that looked like someone had spilled coffee on it.

We had a late dinner (11pm) at the bar. I had a grass feed cheeseburger and my wife had a cheese flight. We were both happy with our food and friendly service we received from the bar staff.

The next morning we grabbed a coffee and muffin from the on-site Starbucks they have.

The hotel is less than 3 miles to Miller Park and Potawatomi casino.

Our only con was the surrounding area seemed a bit sketchy. It did not look safe to walk around late at night.

Bottom line is the hotel is very nice and conveniently located to Miller Park and Potawatomi casino. I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience of our hotel and staff. Envoy specializes in freshest regional and artisan ingredients and the grass fed beef burgers are a local favorite. We are happy to hear you enjoyed it! We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Milwaukee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Neenah, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I visit downtown Milwaukee often and have been a loyal priceline customer for years. After all these years, I have certain expectations. I feel bad giving the Amassador a bad review, because they really put forth a lot of effort to make your stay nice, however, I would not rate this hotel anything over 3 stars. If this hotel was set in a small quaint town, I would love it. But it is not. It is not even downtown. The location of this hotel was the biggest disappointment. I am very familiar with Milwaukee, and don't be fooled...this is not "downtown", which is my number one reason I won't return. They offer a free shuttle service, which we used...however it did not make up for the location. The fun of staying downtown is being able to walk and enjoy the city. This hotel is miles away, not walking distance...and not safe to walk around at night. And although the shuttle if free, be prepared to have to make stops to pick up fellow drunks who are also going back (luckily one of the girls waited to vomit till after we got off the shuttle...inside the lobby). If you book on priceline or hotwire, they will give you the smallest room. After reading reviews about this, I called to make sure they put me in a room with two beds, which they didn't. They said I have a room with one bed and a pullout couch (not very 4 star). At first they were going to charge me an additional $50, but after gettng upset (again, I have certain expectations after always getting nice 2 queen bed rooms right downtown) they "made a note" that if a room with 2 beds was available they would comp us an upgrade. Upon checking, we walked into a tiny tiny room with ONE bed and NO pullout. I called front desk and they then noticed the note in the system and moved us to a much bigger and nice (although still outdated) room. They said we would love the corner room with all the windows...overlooking a shady neighborhood. We kept the drapes closed. So, long story short...be sure to try to get a decent size room. There were also some wierd stains on my sheets...weird scratches on the doors...bottom of the shower curtain really stained and dirty, I would not have used the shower...but at that point I gave up and didn't feel like complaining about anything. The hotel itself had a bad smell, it took me back everytime I walked in...like they doused it in febreze. With all the dissapointements, I can't say enough about how wonderful the staff was. The service was by far 5 star...however staff alone doesn't make a hotel. On a comical note, the shuttle driver referred to the Pfister as their direct competitor. I have stayed at the Pfister...and in no way can you compare the two. Which leads me to believe that this hotel is trying to be something that it just really isn't. The location is by far the worst aspect of this hotel. While the lobby is interesting and fun (yet smelly), the remainder of the hotel is outdated and not comfortable. I won't be staying agian, and will probably not use priceline again in fear that they still me with this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are sorry we didn’t achieve your 100% satisfaction during your stay with us. The Ambassador Hotel is located in the Marquette University neighborhood and within one mile from the business and entertainment districts of downtown Milwaukee. Our complimentary shuttle service is our most talked about complimentary amenity. Our guests continually extended their appreciation for the door to door service to their destinations and removing the parking and traffic hassles from their stay. Our hotel offers a variety of room types and our guests enjoy some of the largest rooms available in Milwaukee. We receive compliments daily from guests on the freshness of our hotel. We do use a state-of-the-art aroma therapy technology, which emits a natural, non-chemical scent commonly used by many hotels and casinos throughout the country. In addition, our guests boast about our Housekeeping staff’s attention to detail and providing the cleanest rooms in the city. Thank you for your glowing comments on your staff service experience, as our staff takes great pride in providing our guests with the highest level of customer service available in Milwaukee.
Wausau, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I got a great deal on this hotel from priceline, and after reading all the positive reviews, I had high expectations. I was impressed with the staff at check in, very polite and even gave up a complimentary upgrade to a king room. The lobby is gorgeous, very well maintained and clean. Our room was very large, and the bathroom kept with the era of the hotel, complete with black and white tile, but well maintained. My positive impression stopped here as I noticed MANY hairs on the bathroom floor, all different colors and lengths. And next to the mini bar on the carpet I found a large clump of hair just sitting on the carpet. Gross. Especially in an area that was very easy to access with a vacuum. As I made my way to the bed, I noticed a large brown stain staring at me from one of the pillowcases. After closer examination, I noticed all 5 of the pillows on the bed has stained cases. Not necassarily dirty, just stained. I called for new cases, which were brought to me in 30 minutes, but a very nice young lady. These new cases were also stained, but not as badly. Since it was late by this time, I just threw some towels on the bathroom floor until I could request a thorough cleaning of the floors. The towels also had stains on them. I wasn't surprised to find a hair on the remote between the buttons, but I came prepared with Lysol wipes so that was a quick fix.
The next day, I asked the front desk to have my floors cleaned well becasue of the hair, the man I reported it to was very polite and apologized. When I came back to the room, the floor of the bathroom still had hairs laying around, just not as many. Housekeeping set up new towels for us, and at front and center was a hand towel with a very large brown stain. Why would you put that in a room, let alone facing out and obvious to see? Also, they did not leave us any wash clothes. At this point, I chose to just deal with my disappointment instead of making more measely complaints. Upon checkout, my husband expressed his disappointment with the stained linens to the front desk and was told "someone would look into it."
On a positive note, the shuttle was great, very prompt and courteous drivers. The parking area is free and appears safe, although the neighborhood around the hotel does not feel as safe. All the staff I encountered were very gracious and friendly and seem to be genuinely concerned about my complaints. I did not use the restaurant or bar, but did use the Starbucks which was very slow, mostly becasue there was one person working on a Saturday morning. The hotel was mostly quiet, we were across the hall from a service or utility room and could hear the door slamming several times.
All in all, I wouldn't rule out staying here again, but it would take an awfully good price or desperation. And even then, I would bring my own towels and pillow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Our Housekeeping staff takes pride in our clean and fresh rooms. Thank you for bring this to our attention. Your comments are being reviewed with our Housekeeping staff to ensure our accommodations continue to be the best in Milwaukee. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further with you directly. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I am confident on a return trip to the Ambassador you will experience the stellar service you received upon your arrival throughout your stay with us.
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two non-consecutive nights, as I have to drive to Madison and stay overnight there. So it means I got to stay in two different rooms. Arriving to the hotel from the airport is very ease. One great advantage is the free parking, which right there saves some 15 bucks compared to other hotels in downtown area. The Ambassador is just west of Marquette Campus on Wisconsin Avenue, which made it very easy to visit the campus. Besides they offer free shuttle service. The location is right at the border of a not very nice neighborhood, but if you’re driving I see no issues. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by Connie at the front desk who was very courteous and professional. The lobby is simply awesome, beautiful art deco, remodeled to perfection. The background music, and even the smell, makes you feel like stepping into a time capsule and taking you back 80 years. Our room was HUGE, with two queen size beds. It is one of the biggest non-suite rooms I’ve seen. There was not much of a view out the window as it was on the second floor overlooking the porte-cochere. (It was convenient only to have an exact measurement of the amount of snow that fell overnight). Beds were very comfortable, with “delicious” pillows, and the bathroom was spotless clean. The toilet was very close to wall and the door swing misses it by ¼”. There was a sink outside the bathroom with and under-counter small fridge. We had breakfast in their Envoy Restaurant , where Lynn greeted us. The food was excellent and the service prompt and professional. When we came back two days later for our second night stay, Eric was at the front desk, whom as well as Connie, was very polite and professional. We arrived early and no rooms were available, so we went out and about, but he called on my cell phone when the room was available. When we arrived we were provided with a room in the fourth floor, as we entered the room, it smelled as a smoking room (404), the bellboy immediately went downstairs and three minutes later came with the keys to another room (414) in the same floor. Again the room was huge, clean and comfortable. The only complaint I find is the noise insulation. You could hear the conversation of the guests in the room next door as if they were seating on your couch. That did not happen on the first room we stayed. After a long day walking, we had dinner at the bar, which offers the same food as the envoy. There, Wess, the bartender was great, friendly, polite and professional. Food was excellent, and their prices are very reasonable. Definitively I will stay at this gem when back in Milwaukee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oak Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I always stay at this particular hotel when coming to Milwaukee to see a concert at The Eagles Ballroom across the street. The rooms are spacious, clean, and very comfortable. Room service is very nice and prompt. The Envoy Lounge has good drinks, but the food and service leaves something to be desired.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This lovely restored Art Deco hotels has it all--central location, ample parking, free shuttle, spacious rooms, attentive staff and fine dining. The Envoy serves delicious fare and the bar has a unique happy hour. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for accommodations when visiting Milwaukee. It is also a great stop for anyone simply looking for a place to eat dinner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The Ambassador is my favorite hotel in Milwaukee by a long shot. I've only visited the hotel twice, in 2012 and 2013. The free shuttle to and from downtown is great. The cafe is very good. I have not dined at the hotel or used the fitness center

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!