“Amazing service and people” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2308 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Omaha, Nebraska
“Amazing service and people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I would strongly advice anyone to stay here. The shuttle driver Sam was marvelous and extremely knowledgable. The hotel was extremely luxurious and nice. The service was top notch. The only complaint I would have is the location is in not the best part of town, but is convienetly near downtown.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Ambassador twice for business. My first stay was quite nice and the location was perfect for what I had to do while in the area. My last stay which was a couple of days ago was a bit questionable. Unfortunately I had the experience of the stained sheets as well as a strand of hair (that wasn't mine) on the duvet. The duvet was stained as well. I really liked this hotel so I wanted to give them a chance to fix the matter. They did call housekeeping who replaced the duvet and sheets very promptly. I always have a good drink or a glass of wine at the bar/lounge. You can even order food in the lounge area. The scallops are very good. But then, I noticed a bigger error that really has made me question if I will stay here again....one of the bath towels in my room had make up stains on it and was a bit tattered.
I know sometimes mistakes happen, but these were very visible errors that made me question the cleanliness of the rooms. I have to be in Milwaukee for business again in February. I may give the hotel one more try as a "3 strike rule". I am hoping not to call them "out" since the location works for me, I like the room size and the price is usually reasonable.

Room Tip: You may not want a room on the 2nd floor right above the lounge area. You can hear them moving furni...
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My trip to WI recently was much better than expected thanks to the ambassador hotel and especially to Sam an old gentleman who drove the complimentary shuttle that the ambassador offers to major attractions around town. First of all the free shuttle is amazing and made us able to get to and from places without renting a car or walking. The shuttle had reasonable hours, which was good for us since we wanted to go out at night. Sam was always quick and happy, he had many great stories for us about the town and it's attractions that he told us as he drove us around. He offered advice about everything from where to get a good meal to where to go out at night! We looked forward to seeing him each morning for our next adventure. The hotel was clean, classy and the room was spacious we fit 5 comfortably. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay again :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I know Milwaukee well, and I know getting into it where this hotel is - and frankly it is a stretch to call it "downtown". You don't want to walk from this hotel ANYWHERE at night. It's west of Marquette - and dicey at night.

It's a nice hotel with decent beds and a quality room. I like hotels with a little character - and this hotel has some of that. I also prefer hotels where I can pop the windows open, and you can do that here. There's no real wow factor here, but it's a good hotel. The lobby and bar are impressive - but I never spend any time there.

The last time I stayed here I was put in possibly the worst room in the hotel - facing other rooms and a rooftop air mechanical unit.

This is insanely picky, but I'm surprised at the new entrance that was added on the west side of the hotel, where you pull in to park: it doesn't fit the hotel's design at all. Last positive = free parking. Probably the only "downtown" hotel that offers this, but again - since it's barely downtown that's probably why.

Room Tip: Try for a south facing room or an east facing room on a higher floor - these are the only ones witho...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bayfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a weekend visit to Milwaukee. Our room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff was professional and friendly. There were no unexpected charges - internet and parking were free. The location is within walking distance of the metropolitan museum and there is a hotel shuttle service to downtown and other attractions. We were very happy with our stay.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The Ambassador Hotel is great historic hotel in Milwaukee. We got a great rate through Hotwire as it (and probably Priceline) show it as a downtown hotel. It is actually about two miles west of the main downtown area but that is not problem as long you as have a car. Parking was free and seemed secure. The property is very old but well maintained. The room was large, quiet and clean. Room service was reasonably priced, fast and delicious. The only real downside is there isn't much within walking distance. We would stay there again assuming the price was right.

Dayton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel on Jan 16th. It was published on Expedia as one of their "unpublished rates". It was rated as a 4-star hotel, so I accepted the rate in exchange for not knowing which hotel I would be placed in. $75 for a Monday evening (includes taxes) was not bad. So, couldn't really read reviews until "after" I booked. The upside: Upon my arrival/check in I was impressed with the appearance of the lobby and restaurant/bar. It was an older building but made to look more contemporary/art deco inside. Nicely done. Yes, there was plenty of parking. The room had a nice decor mix of old and new. Flat panel TV with interactive keyboard, free wi-fi, good workspace. Staff was friendly. The downside: When I checked in I got up to the room and tried my keys, which did not work. So I had to take the elevator with all my stuff back down 6 floors to get new keys. They ended up re-assigning a new room, now on th 3rd floor. Good, but I think I would have like the view better on the 6th floor. Also, for most part parking was well lighted except for the side of the hotel, which could use another street lamp. As a woman traveling alone I wasn't sure I would be walking around that neighborhood after dark on my own. Kind of a sketchy location for an out of towner. As for the room experience, when I did finally get inside I looked around the room and saw on the tops of the furnishings (and especially the minibar) that they were just covered with a layer of dust. Not a light layer that had just "settled" there...a layer that could have been growing for weeks. Gross, I was afraid to touch it. Definitely lacked a maid's touch. The pillow cases also were far too big for the pillow size and the ends were tucked way inside the pillow ...not a big deal, but the cases were stained, clean, but visibly stained. Made me question whether they were cream colored off-white sheets or sheets that used to be white at one time. It was that questionable. from other reviews I've read, sounds like it's NOT an isolated incident. It didn't make me want to lay my head down to stare at the dust on my lamps. And while the TV "keyboard" is really kind of unique at first glance...it's hardly something I can carry into bed with me like a normal remote control. So I looked around for one...nope no remote. I can fumble a remote control in the dark...not a keyboard, expecially if you don't type. Lastly, the light/electric situation was confusing. A master switch on the wall controlled the whole room, while a second switch controled just the entry lights. Could not figure out how to work individual room lamps around that stupid master switch...It's just me, but when I come back to my room tired, I do not want to be screwing around with light controls and keyboards. I just want to plunk down on the bed turn on the tv and turn off the lights....shouldn't be that hard. LOL. In the end, would I stay there again? Sadly, probably not. I had such high expectations for a hotel rated that high. I think Expedia needs to take a closer look at what it's calling "4-star"

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
We are happy to hear you found the hotel impressive and a perfect mix of our historic art-deco style with the right modern touches our guests have come to enjoy. Our apologies for the malfunctioning lock on your room. Occasionally, electronic locks require re-programming and are handled immediately upon them being brought to our attention.

We take pride in having some of the cleanest hotel rooms in the city. We did not receive a complaint during your stay and leaving you in a less than perfect room would never be acceptable to us. It's unfortunate that we were not made aware of the situation, as we could have ensured you an enjoyable stay. Our guest rooms are to be equipped with a remote control and also a keyboard to operate the televisions in the room. If this been brought to our attention, a member of our service team would have been happy to bring a new remote to your room, saving you the frustration you experienced.

Guest rooms at the hotel are designed for energy-savings initiatives and the ability to turn out all of the lights with a Master Switch when leaving is a convenient way for our guests to save energy. The switch is labeled to assist in operating the lighting in your guest room.

We would welcome you back to the property and would like the opportunity to show you the true Ambassador experience.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!