“quiet, clean, comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Bayfield, Wisconsin
“quiet, clean, comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a weekend visit to Milwaukee. Our room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff was professional and friendly. There were no unexpected charges - internet and parking were free. The location is within walking distance of the metropolitan museum and there is a hotel shuttle service to downtown and other attractions. We were very happy with our stay.

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The Ambassador Hotel is great historic hotel in Milwaukee. We got a great rate through Hotwire as it (and probably Priceline) show it as a downtown hotel. It is actually about two miles west of the main downtown area but that is not problem as long you as have a car. Parking was free and seemed secure. The property is very old but well maintained. The room was large, quiet and clean. Room service was reasonably priced, fast and delicious. The only real downside is there isn't much within walking distance. We would stay there again assuming the price was right.

Dayton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel on Jan 16th. It was published on Expedia as one of their "unpublished rates". It was rated as a 4-star hotel, so I accepted the rate in exchange for not knowing which hotel I would be placed in. $75 for a Monday evening (includes taxes) was not bad. So, couldn't really read reviews until "after" I booked. The upside: Upon my arrival/check in I was impressed with the appearance of the lobby and restaurant/bar. It was an older building but made to look more contemporary/art deco inside. Nicely done. Yes, there was plenty of parking. The room had a nice decor mix of old and new. Flat panel TV with interactive keyboard, free wi-fi, good workspace. Staff was friendly. The downside: When I checked in I got up to the room and tried my keys, which did not work. So I had to take the elevator with all my stuff back down 6 floors to get new keys. They ended up re-assigning a new room, now on th 3rd floor. Good, but I think I would have like the view better on the 6th floor. Also, for most part parking was well lighted except for the side of the hotel, which could use another street lamp. As a woman traveling alone I wasn't sure I would be walking around that neighborhood after dark on my own. Kind of a sketchy location for an out of towner. As for the room experience, when I did finally get inside I looked around the room and saw on the tops of the furnishings (and especially the minibar) that they were just covered with a layer of dust. Not a light layer that had just "settled" there...a layer that could have been growing for weeks. Gross, I was afraid to touch it. Definitely lacked a maid's touch. The pillow cases also were far too big for the pillow size and the ends were tucked way inside the pillow ...not a big deal, but the cases were stained, clean, but visibly stained. Made me question whether they were cream colored off-white sheets or sheets that used to be white at one time. It was that questionable. from other reviews I've read, sounds like it's NOT an isolated incident. It didn't make me want to lay my head down to stare at the dust on my lamps. And while the TV "keyboard" is really kind of unique at first glance...it's hardly something I can carry into bed with me like a normal remote control. So I looked around for one...nope no remote. I can fumble a remote control in the dark...not a keyboard, expecially if you don't type. Lastly, the light/electric situation was confusing. A master switch on the wall controlled the whole room, while a second switch controled just the entry lights. Could not figure out how to work individual room lamps around that stupid master switch...It's just me, but when I come back to my room tired, I do not want to be screwing around with light controls and keyboards. I just want to plunk down on the bed turn on the tv and turn off the lights....shouldn't be that hard. LOL. In the end, would I stay there again? Sadly, probably not. I had such high expectations for a hotel rated that high. I think Expedia needs to take a closer look at what it's calling "4-star"

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
We are happy to hear you found the hotel impressive and a perfect mix of our historic art-deco style with the right modern touches our guests have come to enjoy. Our apologies for the malfunctioning lock on your room. Occasionally, electronic locks require re-programming and are handled immediately upon them being brought to our attention.

We take pride in having some of the cleanest hotel rooms in the city. We did not receive a complaint during your stay and leaving you in a less than perfect room would never be acceptable to us. It's unfortunate that we were not made aware of the situation, as we could have ensured you an enjoyable stay. Our guest rooms are to be equipped with a remote control and also a keyboard to operate the televisions in the room. If this been brought to our attention, a member of our service team would have been happy to bring a new remote to your room, saving you the frustration you experienced.

Guest rooms at the hotel are designed for energy-savings initiatives and the ability to turn out all of the lights with a Master Switch when leaving is a convenient way for our guests to save energy. The switch is labeled to assist in operating the lighting in your guest room.

We would welcome you back to the property and would like the opportunity to show you the true Ambassador experience.
Elmhurst, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel last night and really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful, old hotel and the location was perfect for a quick trip to the Potawatomi Casino. Our room was beautiful an had one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The value for their Pay and Play package was excellent and the shuttle to the casino was an added bonus. We opted for the included breakfast and were impressed with the quality and large selection. This was a great choice for a fun overnight and we will definitely stay again when we're up that way.

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We got a great deal on what was the most spacious hotel room I have ever stayed in. The hotel far exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was a little pricey, but there were several choises and was served hot and fresh. The only drawback to this hotel was the location. Nearby was a very bad part of town. But to be fair it is also very close to many of the places we had came to see such as the breweries and Water street. The best thing about the hotel was Sam. Sam, the shuttle bus driver, at the hotel was the absolute best. We would give him a call and he would be ready and waiting for us. He was the nicest and most helpful person I have met. Sam never let us down giving us the best advice on where to eat, which tours to take, what bars to try, and what events were going on. He even gave us advice on where to avoid so would would stay safe. I definately want to comeback to see some of the summer events Sam talked about, and I will definately stay at the Ambassador again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Elburn IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay at the Ambassador on a snowy New Year's Day and really had a great experience. Our room was spacious, spotless and comfortable. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to meet any requests or questions we had. At check-in we were informed that a courtesy shuttle was available to take us where we wished to go, and our room request was honored. Our shuttle driver took us straight to the nearby Potowatami Casino and came back to get us when we called. We then visited the Envoy lounge on the property and had a very engaging and professional bartender who was terrific. We ordered some appetizers and an order of butternut squash ravioli in pesto which was really outstanding. A quiet night and a good night's rest were all we needed to want to come back again, which we will.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This particular hotel is impressive in both design and quality. The beds are superb and lighting, decor, and overall look is of it is classic but not stuffy or outdated as many high end hotels can appear, I was very impressed with how well the vintage charm was still retained even though the rennovations were obviously new.

The amiable front desk attendant checked me in promptly. There was a bit of a problem with my key, but he corrected it right away. Now for the best part: FREE parking and WIFI! How often does a 4 star establishment offer anything free?

I read some comments regarding the location. Frankly, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with condition of the area. Sure, there are some mom and pop businesses nearby and perhaps some older residential buildings, but nothing that looks remotely dangerous of menacing. If there were a perfectly situated Starbucks across the street or a Banana Republic next door, perhaps some reviewers would approve of the location...

All in all; a great experience! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms are different sizes so try to ask for a large room