“A Beautiful Old Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Elmhurst, Illinois
“A Beautiful Old Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel last night and really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful, old hotel and the location was perfect for a quick trip to the Potawatomi Casino. Our room was beautiful an had one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The value for their Pay and Play package was excellent and the shuttle to the casino was an added bonus. We opted for the included breakfast and were impressed with the quality and large selection. This was a great choice for a fun overnight and we will definitely stay again when we're up that way.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We got a great deal on what was the most spacious hotel room I have ever stayed in. The hotel far exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was a little pricey, but there were several choises and was served hot and fresh. The only drawback to this hotel was the location. Nearby was a very bad part of town. But to be fair it is also very close to many of the places we had came to see such as the breweries and Water street. The best thing about the hotel was Sam. Sam, the shuttle bus driver, at the hotel was the absolute best. We would give him a call and he would be ready and waiting for us. He was the nicest and most helpful person I have met. Sam never let us down giving us the best advice on where to eat, which tours to take, what bars to try, and what events were going on. He even gave us advice on where to avoid so would would stay safe. I definately want to comeback to see some of the summer events Sam talked about, and I will definately stay at the Ambassador again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Elburn IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay at the Ambassador on a snowy New Year's Day and really had a great experience. Our room was spacious, spotless and comfortable. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to meet any requests or questions we had. At check-in we were informed that a courtesy shuttle was available to take us where we wished to go, and our room request was honored. Our shuttle driver took us straight to the nearby Potowatami Casino and came back to get us when we called. We then visited the Envoy lounge on the property and had a very engaging and professional bartender who was terrific. We ordered some appetizers and an order of butternut squash ravioli in pesto which was really outstanding. A quiet night and a good night's rest were all we needed to want to come back again, which we will.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This particular hotel is impressive in both design and quality. The beds are superb and lighting, decor, and overall look is of it is classic but not stuffy or outdated as many high end hotels can appear, I was very impressed with how well the vintage charm was still retained even though the rennovations were obviously new.

The amiable front desk attendant checked me in promptly. There was a bit of a problem with my key, but he corrected it right away. Now for the best part: FREE parking and WIFI! How often does a 4 star establishment offer anything free?

I read some comments regarding the location. Frankly, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with condition of the area. Sure, there are some mom and pop businesses nearby and perhaps some older residential buildings, but nothing that looks remotely dangerous of menacing. If there were a perfectly situated Starbucks across the street or a Banana Republic next door, perhaps some reviewers would approve of the location...

All in all; a great experience! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms are different sizes so try to ask for a large room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

You know how they say, "Location, location, location"? That's the Ambassador's blessing and curse.

This is an awesome hotel with all the modern conveniences at a great price, located in a sketchy neighborhood that is convenient to wherever you need to be. Situated blocks from Marquette University, the hotel's setting isn't the best; however, it's pretty close to downtown and the riverfront. A free shuttle helps with that as well.

The rooms are pretty sweet -- I have a huge king room with a couch, flat panel HD TV with multiple inputs (HDMI, etc.), minibar, etc. Bed is very comfortable. Shower water pressure is great, although the temperature can vary.

There's definitely an art deco thing going on here, but I really don't care about that. I care about a quality hotel with a great, friendly staff and an outstanding price. For under $100, I've got a 4- to 5-star room, with free breakfast vouchers at the Envoy restaurant downstairs. (Oh, and free wi-fi, although it can crawl at times.)

Great find!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was able to get a room for $50/night on Priceline and I'm glad I didn't pay any more than that, but the hotel fit my needs for the weekend just fine. Check-in was fast, but the first room I checked into had a broken safe, so I called the front desk. They sent housekeeping to me with a key to a new room on the same floor, that safe worked so I stayed. The hotel has a decent fitness center I used each morning and they have ample free parking. The free internet access and the TV programming was great as well. I did find it necessary to clean the bathtub myself before bathing the first night I was there, as there was soap dried to the side of the tub and the walls didn't look clean. I did not make a complaint to the hotel, as it was easier to to do it myself, so I can't comment on how they might have made that right. The bedspread had several obvious stains on it and the pillow cases appeared dingy, but the bed was comfortable. The were plenty of electrical outlets readily available and easy to reach to plug in cell phones, laptops, etc. The climate control system was easy to use, but it only works when you're in the room (some environmentally friendly thing) so it was often cold until I had been in the room a while, this is unfortunate given how cold it was the weekend I was there. It would have been wonderful to walk into a warm hotel room.

All in all, I would stay here again and bid even less on the room, but if cleanliness is important to you, it might be good to check the room on arrival and have housekeeping make the necessary adjustment before settling in.

Happy travels!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
We take pride in having some of the cleanest hotel rooms in the city. We did not receive a complaint during this guest's stay and leaving a guest in a less than perfect room would never be acceptable to us. It's unfortunate that we were not made aware of the situation, as we could have ensured an enjoyable stay for this guest.
Middleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Probably my fifth stay at this wonderful art deco gem. Rooms are large, baths small. Very comfortable bed and excellent media center. Hotel is a bargain at $89 AAA. Restaurant is outstanding. Good menu and value.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!