“Unique and impressive place!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2308 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Unique and impressive place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This particular hotel is impressive in both design and quality. The beds are superb and lighting, decor, and overall look is of it is classic but not stuffy or outdated as many high end hotels can appear, I was very impressed with how well the vintage charm was still retained even though the rennovations were obviously new.

The amiable front desk attendant checked me in promptly. There was a bit of a problem with my key, but he corrected it right away. Now for the best part: FREE parking and WIFI! How often does a 4 star establishment offer anything free?

I read some comments regarding the location. Frankly, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with condition of the area. Sure, there are some mom and pop businesses nearby and perhaps some older residential buildings, but nothing that looks remotely dangerous of menacing. If there were a perfectly situated Starbucks across the street or a Banana Republic next door, perhaps some reviewers would approve of the location...

All in all; a great experience! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms are different sizes so try to ask for a large room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

You know how they say, "Location, location, location"? That's the Ambassador's blessing and curse.

This is an awesome hotel with all the modern conveniences at a great price, located in a sketchy neighborhood that is convenient to wherever you need to be. Situated blocks from Marquette University, the hotel's setting isn't the best; however, it's pretty close to downtown and the riverfront. A free shuttle helps with that as well.

The rooms are pretty sweet -- I have a huge king room with a couch, flat panel HD TV with multiple inputs (HDMI, etc.), minibar, etc. Bed is very comfortable. Shower water pressure is great, although the temperature can vary.

There's definitely an art deco thing going on here, but I really don't care about that. I care about a quality hotel with a great, friendly staff and an outstanding price. For under $100, I've got a 4- to 5-star room, with free breakfast vouchers at the Envoy restaurant downstairs. (Oh, and free wi-fi, although it can crawl at times.)

Great find!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was able to get a room for $50/night on Priceline and I'm glad I didn't pay any more than that, but the hotel fit my needs for the weekend just fine. Check-in was fast, but the first room I checked into had a broken safe, so I called the front desk. They sent housekeeping to me with a key to a new room on the same floor, that safe worked so I stayed. The hotel has a decent fitness center I used each morning and they have ample free parking. The free internet access and the TV programming was great as well. I did find it necessary to clean the bathtub myself before bathing the first night I was there, as there was soap dried to the side of the tub and the walls didn't look clean. I did not make a complaint to the hotel, as it was easier to to do it myself, so I can't comment on how they might have made that right. The bedspread had several obvious stains on it and the pillow cases appeared dingy, but the bed was comfortable. The were plenty of electrical outlets readily available and easy to reach to plug in cell phones, laptops, etc. The climate control system was easy to use, but it only works when you're in the room (some environmentally friendly thing) so it was often cold until I had been in the room a while, this is unfortunate given how cold it was the weekend I was there. It would have been wonderful to walk into a warm hotel room.

All in all, I would stay here again and bid even less on the room, but if cleanliness is important to you, it might be good to check the room on arrival and have housekeeping make the necessary adjustment before settling in.

Happy travels!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
We take pride in having some of the cleanest hotel rooms in the city. We did not receive a complaint during this guest's stay and leaving a guest in a less than perfect room would never be acceptable to us. It's unfortunate that we were not made aware of the situation, as we could have ensured an enjoyable stay for this guest.
Middleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Probably my fifth stay at this wonderful art deco gem. Rooms are large, baths small. Very comfortable bed and excellent media center. Hotel is a bargain at $89 AAA. Restaurant is outstanding. Good menu and value.

• Stayed December 2011
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011 via mobile

A very nice hotel. 20 blocks west of river so the shuttle is important - and very good and responsive. Rooms are comfortable. Restaurants are a shuttle ride away.

• Stayed December 2011
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Ambassador. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We've stayed here several times, each experience less enjoyable than the previous. I'm done with this place. The rooms are small, closetless and the walls are tissue thin. For the price you pay (and it's NOT cheap) I expect certain level of service and amenities. Not worth the out of the way location (in a not terrific part of Milwaukee).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We pride ourselves on delivering award-winning customer service and exceeding guest expectations. Please know we have no complaints on file during your recent visits to the hotel. Nonetheless, the hotel's General Manager is anxious to hear about your experiences, as he would like to remedy the situation to your satisfaction as soon as possible. Thank you for your business and for your post. Happy Holidays!
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Ambassador for a wedding I was in. On Friday, the wedding party utilized the bar and restaurant area for the rehearsal dinner. The space is very nice, the staff was very accommodating, and the food was delicious. The day of the wedding, myself and two bridesmaids were sharing a room. We arrived before check in time and the hotel was able to accommodate us and check us in early, which was great! The room was very clean and spacious. It was a Queen Queen room with a pullout couch. The bathroom was small, but clean and functional. A great part of the hotel was their shuttle service. It was able to bring large parts of the wedding guests to and from the location. The driver also agreed to do a last pickup after the usual designated time, which was awesome. Not much time was spent at the hotel, but it was a great experience and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!