“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Bucharest, Romania
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Clean, very friendly staff, the rooms are very spacious. We stayed in an apartment that was very well equipped for preparing and cooking consistent meals. The breakfast was also quite reach in food assortments and the breakfast room is very cozy. The hotel is very well positioned. Ask for a room with a river view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

This place was great! It is probably the best price I’ve paid for the nicest hotel, especially for being in the perfect location - we went to a concert at the Riverside Theater and if you take the stairs, they open to directly in front of it. The ceilings are really high and the windows are huge. I’m not sure if all rooms are the same but we got a room with one bed and a pull out couch, which really makes sense for a hotel room because I’d guess a lot of people just use one bed, so you have a couch, coffee table, and some chairs for hanging out. We had no idea the room would have a kitchenette with a little bar and two stools, a big fridge, microwave, toaster, stove top, and regular size coffee maker (I will bring coffee from home next time – and there will be a next time!). I also liked how the shower and toilet are in one area with a door and the sink is outside of it. We didn’t hear anyone from other rooms, either in our room or our friends’ room that we hung out in after the concert. (i.e., the walls are not paper thin like some places, or we had super quiet neighbors). I imagine the hotel was busy because it was a Saturday and it’s in such a great location, but we were not annoyed by anyone around us. It was in walking distance of some great restaurants so we parked at the garage across the street for $15 overnight and just walked everywhere. The only remotely negative thing I can think of is that I wish the bathroom had a fan.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

First impression was very good. Has a very safe and secure parking garage. I was in Milwaukee for a week for a business convention and was sharing a one room suite with two other women.

When you walk in the room is quite striking with very high ceilings and a really beautiful view of the river & buildings. It has a nicely equipped kitchenette. However the coffee pot didn't work the first day which they promptly replaced. A few days later we discovered the garbage disposal didn't work.

I slept the first night on the pull out sofa. This is truly the WORST pull out I have EVER slept on. The mattress on it is about 5 inches thick and you will be crippled the next day. It's awful. We called the desk the next day to request another mattress but they didn't have any. They did offer to move us to another room, but that would have required moving three women and a weeks worth of groceries. So I decided I would just put the mattress on the floor. However upon returning to our room late that night I ran into an employee delivering a roll-away bed to another guest. So I asked if I could have one sent to my room as well and it was delivered right away. Why wasn't that suggested when we called that morning? Good news, the roll-away was quite comfortable.

The next issue was the TV. They have a real problem with the TV's in this hotel. Sometimes it worked fine, other times all you got was sound and no picture. Very random! So the same sweet man that delivered the bed came back to the room to tell us the secret to the TV. You had to shut it off on the side of the TV and (virtually reboot it) to get it to operate with both sound and picture. When I had initially called down to the desk about the TV the desk clerk said that they have a lot of guests having a problem with the TV's and she would send someone to show us how to work it. Clearly a problem they need to resolve!

So after getting a new coffee pot, new bed, repaired garbage disposal, soap for the dishwasher and the secret combination for the TV, we enjoyed our stay.

Would I stay here again? Probably not....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Anamosa, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our small group returned to this hotel again in June 2014 after a great experience in 2013 attending a convention. It was nice having the knowledge from the prior stay about how to access the parking, which nights would have evening treats and wine/beer in the hotel dining area, and a familiarity with the neighborhood. Our suite was exactly as remembered and the area to spread out is so great. Everything spotless as far as I could tell in the room. Food service in the mornings were a little harried and there were a couple mornings where the coffee pot ran dry, or food ran out and there was a wait. Evening snacks were nice but not spectacular, which is fine for the type of hotel. We are experienced travelers and matched the hotel for our needs - which fits the requirements we have for this week-long stay: bringing lots of stuff and a week's worth of clothes and a place to keep our vehicle at a reasonable rate with small perks like morning and evening food . We did not cook in the room - too many dining choices throughout Downtown, easily accessed by taxi, Trolley or Riverwalk.

Room Tip: The hotel used to be a department store, so expect tall ceilings and somewhat odd shapes in the room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

It's my third time at this hotel, but first two were business related, so I was pleased that my family enjoyed it too. We got free upgrade to two bedroom suite and I can tell you - it's huge.
Extremely clean, spacious, beautiful hotel. Can't beat the location either.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here for a couple days prior to Memorial Day. All the other reviews are pretty accurate regarding the convenience of the mini kitchen and the nice location. We got the hotel with parking included, which seems like it was a little better deal. The breakfast is a notch above the "continental" breakfasts you find in the lower end hotels and is included in the price.

The part I liked was the fact it was right on the river. The Milwaukee River Walk is a great draw. It passes by several nice eateries and micro breweries just in case you get hungry or thirsty as you stroll though the neighborhoods. Speaking of which it is an easy walk to the 3rd Ward and several other trendy areas.

The staff was great (when we mentioned we were going to head over to the Rock Bottom Brewery just up the street, they gave us coupons for a free beer! That was a nice surprise. All in all, I can easily see us coming back sometime soon.

Room Tip: Book ahead on-line to try and get deals like parking included.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Overall: A great hotel in an excellent location. I would stay here again.

First Impression: Parking is $17/day - reasonable for the area. (Side note: I wish hotels would post the parking rates alongside the room rate. It would make it so much easier to choose a hotel based on costs. Ease of doing business with them - instead of searching internet room rates then making a bunch of calls for the parking rates. The only rates I see posted are when parking is free. Why must guests call to find the parking rate?) I am used to hotels that are located downtown where I am able to park in the ramp by retrieving a ticket upon entering the ramp then head to the hotel lobby to check-in. This hotel was a little different in that you check-in first then park. The person who checked me in gave me a room key, a parking key, and a parking permit that had a map of the parking ramp on the backside. The map shows where guests are allowed to park in the ramp. They are shaded on the map and marked in the ramp by white lines as opposed to the reserved spots that are yellow. I had to place the parking permit on my dashboard to ensure it was visible. The hotel is located in a beautiful historic building. The lobby was very clean. The man who checked me in the evening of 5/26 was very helpful.

Suite: Very clean and spacious. There was plenty of room to spread out. I really liked the fleur de lis design on the drapes. They did a nice job of blending contemporary and classic design elements. The bed was very comfortable. The kitchenette had everything I needed. Pots and pans are available upon request.

Freebies: The hotel offers free breakfast every day and evening dining on some nights. I do not know if the food was good or not but I did see I a lot of people enjoying their meals. I prefer to prepare my own meals when I travel, hence why I stay the Residence Inn. Whole Foods is only about 10 - 15 min drive from the hotel. I stopped there before checking in. I wanted to shop at Public Market which is only about a 5 minute drive but they were closed on Memorial Day. The hotel also offers free internet in the suites and free wifi in the lobby.

Location: There are a variety of restaurants within a short walking distance from the hotel. They range from Ethiopian to Irish Pub to chains like Rock Bottom. It was about a 15 minute walk to the Milwaukee Art Museum. I met a fellow traveler while walking to the museum and we ended up having dinner at the Rock Bottom. I recommend the Vegetarian Tacos with Sangria. Yummy!

This was another great stay at the Residence Inn!

Room Tip: Not much of a view facing the opposite side of the river.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!