“Car Got Stolen; Hotel's Legal Counsel Harassed Me” 1 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Car Got Stolen; Hotel's Legal Counsel Harassed Me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Be warned that this is a sketchy neighborhood where auto theft is on the rise.

I stayed at this hotel for one month while I was relocating from another city. To save me several hundred dollars in parking during my stay, the hotel arranged for me to park in The Gimbel's lot across the street from the hotel ($205 for the month versus $17 per night). One morning two weeks into my stay, I went to the garage to find broken glass on the ground where my car had been parked. Sometime between when I parked the car the previous evening and that morning, the car had been broken into and stolen. I filed a report with local police, but it turned out that the garage had absolutely no security or cameras. The hotel was the opposite of helpful throughout the experience, refusing even to give me a ride to work that morning (It was less than a mile to my office). The following week, the hotel manager informed me that the hotel would be filing an insurance claim on my behalf. When the hotel's counsel contacted me to follow up on the claim, they harassed and mocked me for thinking that I had any legal rights to compensation from the hotel--which was pretty upsetting since I wasn't even the one who filed the claim!

Bottom line, they were heartless, nasty people whose only solution to my terrible situation was to offer me free underground parking for the remainder of my stay. Too bad that taking advantage of this "helpful" offer requited me to buy a new car!

BTW, my car was recovered in a high-speed chase the very same day I had discovered it missing. In Indiana. Totaled.

Oh, and the breakfast was completely inedible. In my 30-night stay, I tried it once and couldn't bring myself to go back. So if you think that you'll save money by eating breakfast at the hotel, no dice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I am a Mariott loyalist... This is the second time we have stayed at this property... and will probably stay here again. As others have said, this is in a historic building so the rooms are very large with 15 ft high ceilings and huge windows. The common areas and hallways are all super clean and the Hearth Room where the free breakfast is served is very nice. The 2 bedroom suite we just stayed in this weekend, however, was really looking ragged. We invited friends to stay, and were a little embarrased at how shabby the living room furniture was...I didn't remember things being so beaten up the last time we stayed here. The fabric on the arm chair was literally all ripped up. The location however can't be beat. Even though the daily parking fee is pretty stepp at $17 per day, it is underground in the same building, which makes that very conveneint as well.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks the river!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

So impressed with this hotel! We stayed the night for a Bachelorette Party and the 1 bedroom suite comfortably fit 5 ladies. The staff was very friendly and the hotel itself is beautiful and although it is historic, it's been updated and is very clean! I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

A few things to consider if traveling with a group: the 1 bedroom suites only have mirrors in the bedroom area which made getting ready with 5 women a bit of a squeeze. Also they do charge for roll away beds which I thought was a little unnecessary.

Other than that, loved it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for a week and enjoyed my stay. The free breakfast was nice, and the ladies who took care of it did a nice job varying it a little bit from day to day. The evening dinner and drinks was nice with a little variety as well. Too bad that Marriott has cut that down from "Monday to Thursday" to "Monday to Wednesday".

The hotel has covered parking in the building ($17/night) -- just beware that you need a map to get your bearings and figure out where you parked your car.

If I am ever back in Milwaukee, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago Suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Traveled to Milwaukee to catch a holiday concert in December. Had stayed several years ago at this Residence Inn and loved it. Got in a little later than I planned and they assured me there was a restaurant next door that provided room service meals, which was perfect and allowed me plenty of time to get ready for the show. Several times during my stay they helped with calling cabs and advice about the area attractions.

Room was gorgeous (they are all suites) with floor-to-ceiling windows and a great view ... everything spotless. Breakfast is always a delicious buffet.

Looking forward to future visits! Their staff always make the visit great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is in an old department store building: Gimbel's actually started in the Midwest and this was one of their first buildings. Room was spacious, clean and quiet. Staff were very friendly. A full breakfast came with the room. They charge $20 for parking in the hotel's garage -- but they did not have space available. They directed us to an out-door lot down the street that was $17. The privately operated garage immediately across the street is only $15. Still, fine hotel. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a wonderful location if you are planning on a Milwaukee Downtown get away/business. Everything is in walking distance....great entertainment/bars/food. The hotel is wonderful, clean, great rooms and location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!