“Beautiful suite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown

You added Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   648 North Plankinton Avenue, 648 N. Plankinton Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
chicago
“Beautiful suite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Another wonderful visit to this beautiful hotel. I try to stay here whenever I'm in Milwaukee. I used to work at Gimbels department store, so I always request a suite on the 7th floor overlooking Wisconsin Avenue, the approximate location of my old office. Although there are many modern amenities, including full kitchens, each room retains the character and high ceilings of the historic old building. Check-in was efficient and friendly with Josh, and I was given my requested room, even though it was Summerfest weekend, and the hotel was at 100% occupancy...although I would not have known, since I never heard any noise from other rooms. We parked across the street at the Grand Ave Mall ($15). Comfy bed, spotless suite. There were beautiful prints on the walls with Gimbels references--I forgot to ask if they were for sale. We walked outside and took the shuttle to Summerfest...the best location! The complimentary breakfast was wonderful, absolutely the fluffiest scrambled eggs I have ever had, and the staff was continually cleaning the area and replenishing the hot food. Check-out a breeze with friendly Andrea at the front desk. The only thing I missed was a Sunday Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper (they had USA Today). Otherwise, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
vicChicago, Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Residence Inn Milwaukee. Since we are located in the historic Gimbel’s Department store building, we love to hear stories about people’s connection to the building. I am glad to hear that we were able to get you your special room. Unfortunately, the prints on the walls are not for sale. It is nice to hear that you had another great experience at our property. Please let me know when you will be returning and we will do everything we can to get your requested suite again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
New York, N.Y.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in a historic building overlooking the Milwaukee River with a fabulous location. You're in walking distance to the Third Ward, Museum of Art and lake front, and the lovely river walk stroll. I stayed over Memorial Day weekend and got a fabulous deal on a clean, well-appointed room that was quite literally more than twice the size of my New York City apartment.

The enormous windows (approximately 12 feet high!) looked out onto the museum of art adn the lake in the distance. Sadly there was construction down below that marred the view of the river - but not the hotel's fault! Kitchen had everything you could need. And the bed was large and comfy. Just make sure to close those curtains tight if you're on the east side of the hotel! When the sun rose it was blinding!

I found the staff very accommodating. I asked if I could change my room to get a river view, which they did. They also let me check out late so I could work in a morning kayak on the river. Breakfast was a large buffet and certain adequate if not gourmet. (One complaint was the very cheap OJ that tasted mostly like colored water) Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Bbright1, I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us over Memorial Day weekend. Our location can’t be beat for exploring the downtown area. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the space and all of the accommodations. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff. They do strive to make sure that every guest has an exceptional experience each and every time they stay with us. If your travels ever bring you back to Milwaukee, we would love to see you again.
Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I called four times to inquire about a reservation. The front desk person, a woman by the name of Shante, put me on hold for 7 minutes, returned to ask why I was calling, then promptly put me on hold for 3 more minutes. I hung up, called back three more times and was put on hold or hung up on. Finally, a person named Ashley who claimed to be the manager answered and was able to help me. Terrible front desk service is inexcusable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnMke, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
P T, I sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received when calling to inquire about reservation availability. This certainly does not meet your expectations, nor does it meet our standards. While I feel there is no excuse for this level of service, please know that Shante is new to us and only just beginning her training. She will soon be another star on our roster; however, until then it is obvious that we need to address our training strategy. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this situation. I hope that you will reconsider staying at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance in the future.
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

loved the high high ceilinged rooms! Huge laundry facility as well and better than normal work out facility. great breakfast workers, very sweet & kind!

Room Tip: loved the 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
wifeof25years, Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others about your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your time with us. We would love to see you again if you are ever back in Milwaukee.
Georgetown Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Absolutely great rooms and service. The room had everything you possibly could need and a completely equipped kitchen. The beds are super comfortable. The location is perfect for access to all downtown activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Bpl888, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide everything you needed to make your stay enjoyable. Our location is fantastic for exploring the downtown area and I hope you were able to take advantage of that. Hopefully, we will see you again if you are ever back in Milwaukee.
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a weekend trip to a Brewers game & had a very bad experience with this hotel. We actually stayed here about a year ago & everything was perfect, but didn't happen this time. My main gripe is the parking garage, which is located underground. They gave me a room key to access the garage & for the two days were there, it never worked. They sent a security guard down to the gate one time & he couldn't even get the card to work, which was very frustrating after a long day at the ball game. The lady at the front desk was not very friendly & definitely had an attitude about the whole card situation. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone & I'm an Elite member with Marriott!

• Stayed June 2012
Mike L, Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you encountered with our parking. We are constantly striving to improve the parking experience for all of our guests. I am sorry that this caused you to change your outlook on our hotel after having a perfect stay last year. We would love to have the opportunity to ‘wow’ you again. If you would reconsider staying with us again, please contact me directly and I will do everything I can to make sure you have a stay that is reminiscent of last year.
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Most of my family stayed at this hotel for my daughter's wedding. Everything was great. The staff, especially Andrea at the front desk, was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were large and nicely furnished. The breakfast had lots of delicious choices to suit everybody. My large family was allowed to visit even when breakfast was over. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
DGT775, Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to let Andrea know that you appreciated all of her help. I am also glad that you enjoyed your suite and the free breakfast. It is nice to hear that we were able to make a joyous family occasion even more special for you. Thank you so much for your recommendation.

Been to Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!