“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Granger, Indiana
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were in town for a Brewers game and did some searching for a unique place for breakfast. Blue's Egg came up and had some pretty good reviews. We were there about 7:30AM on a Sunday, only a few people in there at this time. (slowly started to fill, there was no seat in the place by the time we left about 8:15AM) Service was great. Food was FABULOUS! I had eggs benedict and hubby had corn beef hash. Their ham is pronominal! If we were ever in town again I would make sure I was able to eat here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Mequon
“Always a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The service never misses and the food is well presented.
Every type of taste is catered to. We make a stop here whenever we are inviting people to try something new or are in the area

Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Fast and friendly - what else do you want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was taking a chance on Blue's Egg, as it was the only breakfast restaurant in the area when I used Google Maps to find a place to stop. But it was a chance well taken. I had the Irish breakfast, a daily special, and it took about five minutes to come to the table. In that time I was given an "appetizer" of a small bushel of plump, fresh grapes and a tall cup of coffee. (They also leave a large bottle of water at the table, which I always appreciate - it's nice not to have to hound a server for a refill.) The breakfast was perfectly cooked and delicious; the house-made Irish Whiskey Sauce was a hollandaise offshoot without the lemon, and it suited the meal perfectly.

The service was attentive and friendly, the food was fast and hot, the fruit was fresh - everything you could ask for in a breakfast.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, Florida
“Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My hubby brought me here on my first visit to Milwaukee in December of 2011, when we were engaged. (The review site does not allow me to choose year 2011 - so it states 2012, but I visited in 2011.)

I couldn't believe they served Bloody Mary's for breakfast, LOL. Their hashbrowns were great - served with applesauce if you like. I loved how you get fresh fruit with your breakfast order (we got blueberries & strawberries). The serving sizes were good, and the food was delish.

It was a bit cramped when we walked in, but we were able to order drinks while waiting for a table, which was nice. And being that it was cold outside, I did not mind the coziness inside the waiting area, because it kept us warm. The atmosphere was lively, just like the people of Milwaukee, and I enjoyed my visit to this restaurant very much.

It is pricier than going to Denny's or I-Hop, but what you get in return are yummy and original menu items, at an original restaurant with great service. The food is worth the wait! I liked it so much, I took a promo sticker home with me for my scrapbook.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Long wait for ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've visited Blue's Egg 4 or 5 times, most recently a few days ago. All visits were in the morning for breakfast (restaurant only serves breakfast and lunch). Every visit has included a wait for table, anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes. The waiting area is far too small to handle the volume of customers. I would not mind the unpleasant chaotic wait if the food was above average. But I've been disappointed every time. Toast is served un-buttered with a little ramekin of butter and preserves, so of course the butter won't melt on the cold toast. On one occasion, the server delivered a homemade English muffin dry, cold, and provided no butter/jam. Trying to track down the server was futile. I've had overcooked (hard) poached eggs on the kale/fonduta dish, overcooked omelette with very tough mushrooms inside, and a very unpleasant crab cake (tasted like cheapest canned crab) served on undressed greens. I think all of these inventive dishes could/should have been delicious, but it seems maybe the execution suffers when the restaurant tries to handle that volume of turnover. On the plus side, the cocktails are pretty good, hash browns were decent, and except for the first visit, service was pretty good considering the frenetic pace. I've not tried any of the sweet breakfast entrees because I prefer savory, but maybe next time I'll take a chance on some pancakes. The place always seems to be packed, so others must be having better experiences. I never suggest it anymore when making breakfast plans, but often someone else does, which is how I've ended up there again after my first disappointing visit. At least it is better than some of those "family" restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere