“Music Under Glass” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes)

Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes)
524 S Layton Blvd, Milwaukee, WI 53215
(414) 257-5611
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 97 Attractions in Milwaukee
Type: Gardens, Parks, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The Conservatory's Arid Dome houses a fine collection of cacti; the Tropical Dome features plants from the rainforest and the Floral Show Dome hosts a number of changing themed blossom displays throughout the year.
Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“Music Under Glass”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While I agree with an earlier reviewer that the The Domes' neighborhood can be rough, it is not so problematic that you should avoid this diamond. Normal common-sense is all that is needed: don't leave valuables in view, park near a light pole and near the entrance. I have visited The Domes many times with no problems, though as a woman I am always aware of my surroundings.
I heartily suggest that you visit The Domes for their special Music Under Glass events, when the exhibits are open at night with live music in the common area. I was completely surprised at how different each dome looked and felt in the dark compared to my earlier daytime visits! Beautiful, mysterious, serene...Completely fantastic event that you do not want to miss! A light show set to music is performed at specific times in the Show Dome during the Music Under Glass events, and is absolutely magical! A wintery nod to Milwaukee's wonderful summer fireworks shows!

Orland Park
“Warning-Caution Advised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I need to say that the facility is great, and I have no problem with the inside of the Domes. The problem is that the first time I went there I should have been suspicious. I saw a lot of broken clear glass in the parking lot and security warning signs, but I let it go. The second time I went I discovered what this all meant, when more broken glass was added to the parking lot, from my own broken window. Remember that even though the Domes look peaceful, they are in a really rough area. Caution is advised when going there.

Visited November 2012
Surf City, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have always enjoyed the Domes and recommend this trip to anyone spending time in Milwaukee. This is definitely a unique attraction for any city with the arid desert dome, rainforest dome and the seasonally decorated dome there is always something for people to see.

Milwaukee, Wi
13 attraction reviews
“Great Day-Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful and interesting biospheres containing plant species of different climates. A surprisingly fun trip for all ages. Doesn't take long to get around the domes - but its great fun. Awesome photography potential.

Green Bay, WI
35 attraction reviews
“Peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife, son (8), and I took a spur of the moment trip to Milwaukee. We hadn't been to the Domes in quite a while and the price was right, so we gave it a go. $20 or so for all three of us. The Show Dome had a neat Don Quixote theme, and we enjoyed reading all the signs telling the story. The Desert Dome had some interesting factoids also. The Tropical Dome was where we spent the most time, bird watching and seeing all the plants that contribute to our lives. It was fun to see all the things made from tropical plants.

Everything was very clean. The Domes are a little run down here and there. Lots of cracks visible in the domes themselves (visible from the inside anyway). The whole place could use a refurb, but that wouldn't stop us from going again.

Visited November 2012