“Parking rip-off” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
“Parking rip-off”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I found this hotel via kayak not knowing anything about the brand, but looking for a under $100 hotel. I was able to get a king room for $75.

I was not told that parking was not included until I arrived and was met with an outrageous $23 fee. Give me a break, this is Wisconsin. I live in NYC, you can even find parking there. Chicago, LA no problem. I was not going to accept it. 3 members of the staff flat out lied and said I couldn't self park overnight per city rules and would be towed. I drove around and got the same "full" line as others from parking lot across the street. After exiting I found a spot across the street at a meter, called the police and was told 100% I could park overnight without a problem. In fact you can do it any night with special permission (log into the city's parking website and get the number to call). $23 saved! I hate being lied to and corporate will hear about it.

I get what this hotel is trying to be, but like other perhaps I've seen too much of the world to buy it. Hotel is like a refined youth hostel, not a W for the younger set. A bit chessy, but hey if the kids like it and are wiling to pay, who am I to care?

Would not recommend this for anyone who doesn't have a very good sense of humor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Bottom line-we didn't sleep. There was a party going on in the lobby and all night in the hallways and in every room on our floor. The staff definitely helped out with the noise by coming up once in awhile, but overall it really is a party atmosphere. Even if there weren't a spring break party, i feel the walls are so thin-we'd have trouble sleeping any night. Outside in the center of the hotel is an outside bar with a fireplace and couches so we heard that too. I could hear someone say "shhhh" in the hallway.

there are some positives I want to point out-very cool refuel snack bar downstairs if you ge the munchies-yogurt, pastries, lean cuisines, popcorn...Also, if you are traveling with a kid ask for the camp loft package. It is complimentary and it is a bag with a game and a blow up mattress. My son loved that.

so, go to aloft if you are looking for a funky, fresh, LOUD, atmosphere....go to the intercontinental or the Pfister if you want all the amenities of a restaurant and peace.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

The Aloft in Downtown Milwaukee is perfectly located in the Old downtown area on the Riverwalk; it made me think about going to Summer Fest again this year, is really close to all the action, with easy access to all major freeways.
The hotel décor is modern and very chic, the bar area and lounge are always busy because they are comfy and accommodating.
We had a double bed room with view to the riverwalk that allow me to take great pictures of the downtown buildings. The beds are big and comfortable, the sheets and pillows soft. The huge HDTV in the middle of the room is nice. The size of the room felt small but it might be the way the room is arranged, with a huge wall separating the bathroom and beds. The FREE Wi-Fi is a big plus!
I am not giving this hotel a higher rating because of a couple of let downs: first, I was disappointed that they don’t offer bathrubs mine is really big for me to packed and I could have use one. Second: the indoor pool is located in the opposite side of the elevators, I had to walk through the bar/lounge area wearing my bathing suit and a towel, I felt like people were staring me down for this reason. Given that their bar is also a place for locals to hang out and not only hotel guests, I could hear what some patrons have to say about me when they saw me in a bathing suit.
There is a 23.00 valet parking fee and also breakfast options like muffins, coffee, juice, etc. Beware, they aren’t free…
The W hotels have spoiled me by giving me above and beyond service in their hotels, I was expecting the same from Aloft but I wasn’t impress by their service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Just returned from a trip up to Milwaukee to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Aloft Hotel has been opened just a few short months---still a few bugs to be worked out (namely parking) but you can't beat the location. It is a fun atmosphere with nice common areas. It is close to all the action! The manager, Rebecca Grennier, is one of the most thorough and competent persons we've ever run across. Things sometimes do go wrong, even with all the planning in the world, but it's what you do in the face of mishaps. We had a wonderful stay and will be back again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We are from Milwaukee but recently stayed at Aloft while our condo was being repainted. This place is fun, trendy and modern yet simple. The rooms remind me of European hotels we have stayed in. The staff is extremely friendly and don't miss the homemade muffins! Awesome.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

We booked a king room for $85 and were able to bring our dog with us.
The room was clean and modern, and the staff at the hotel was very nice.
The hotel is conveniently located downtown. Parking is by valet only.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I chose the Aloft because I like the quality of Westin hotels and wanted to try something different. I loved Aloft! Every employee we encountered was friendly with a smiling face. The hotel room was nice, very small bathroom but decent sized sleeping area. I did not notice any thin walls as mentioned in a previous review, it was actually very quiet up by the rooms (thankfully). We had drinks and appetizers in the lounge before we left for dinner and it was an exciting atmosphere. The entire hotel was very clean. You can easily walk to Water Street and find many restaurants and bars. Great stay!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!