“great hotel for a weekend getaway! Certain rooms can be a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Milwaukee Downtown

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“great hotel for a weekend getaway! Certain rooms can be a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend getaway and to explore Milwaukee. Check in was smooth and the staff were very professional and courteous as was the valet staff. We were offered either a river view or city view room on the top floor which was very nice. We opted for the river view room and weren't disappointed.

The room was pretty basic and a bit on the smaller side, however it did the job for our weekend getaway. There is a frosted glass wall on one end of the room that has the shower on the other side. I see how this could be a bit awkward for anyone who is not a couple sharing a room, although you can't directly see into the shower, the silhouette may be too much for some. Our safe wasn't working on arrival, however we made a quick phone call to front desk and the technician was up to our room very promptly. The hotel provides toiletries in dispensers. The shampoo/conditioner are one and then there's a separate dispenser for the shower gel.

It didn't bother us too much, however one thing to note is that depending on what way your room is facing, you may encounter some noise from the late night bar attendees, so if you want a completely quiet room, make sure to request it beforehand or at check in.

The staff at this hotel were VERY friendly. We actually came down to front desk a couple of times with questions of where to eat and what to do, and each time the staff steered us in the right direction with their suggestions.

There is a little to-go food area beside the front check in desk. We ordered hot breakfasts and picked up some drinks one day. It was a bit unclear of where to pay for your items and we had to inquire about that. You can pick up all the items you want, however you have to go up front desk to pay as there is no cashier in the food area.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay at the Aloft for another weekend trip in Milwaukee.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
So happy that you were able to stay with us for your weekend visit. THank you for letting us know about the experience and for the kind words for the team, we will be sure to let them know! You provided a lot of helpful information for future travelers, which hopefully they read and take tips from. Looking forward to having you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My fiancé and I recently decided we had to get away from the grind and thought what better way then to visit or neighbor to the north Milwaukee. Were Chicago natives and have heard great things about Milwaukee so we were exited for the road trip. We chose the Aloft hotel in downtown Milwaukee and we could not have made a better choice. Upon driving up to the hotel we were greeted by the valets who were very courteous. When we got inside we thought the lobby was very cool. It had a modern sophisticated vibe to it. We were checked in by Evita who was great at helping us look up the brewery's and telling us where to go. The room was very clean and it's layout was very well thought out. We visited Brenner brewing co which is a definite must if you love craft beer. We also went to Irish fest and had a blast. What topped it off was the free shuttle at the Brat house to and fro the fest making easy on wallet. When we checked out I mentioned to Sam at the desk how pleasant our stay was and he was genuinely happy we had a good time. The staff there is excellent, helpful and is definitely one of the reasons we will stay here again. You guys rock!!! Thanks

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sounds like you and your fiance had a great time for your Sunday funday. Thank you for letting us be a part of your experience. We appreciate you taking time out to let us know about it and hope to have you back again in the future! Good luck with your upcoming wedding.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Everything about this hotel is perfect, from the personable staff to the little gate on the Riverwalk. Its a great location for restaurants and nightlife, plus the Trolley that takes you around town is only a block away. Everyone we met was fun and funny. You will enjoy your stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear CordeliaUSA,

Thank you for the great reveiw, we will be sure to share this with our team! Most importantly though, we are glad you enjoyed your time with us Hopefully the rest of the trip was fun and you come back and see us again the next time you can.
Portage, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We were headed to a Brewer game with friends, needed a hotel with close access to shuttles to the game. We enjoyed our stay here, rooms were nice. We did not have any noise problems, lobby was quiet when we returned. Based on other reviews we expected a loud party in the lobby. Noticed there were several families staying. I would stay here again even with my two younger children. Staff was very friendly

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sarah K,

So glad that you were able to stay with us for the Brewers Game. Hopefully they won! Really the atmosphere of the hotel (really any hotel) changes with what is going on in the city. Being a downtown property, the local events really is what drives business to all of our hotels thus making for different expereiences on different visits.
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

As a Starwood Platinum member I stay at many Starwood properties and besides the Miami Four Points this is the second worst hotel in the stable. I arrived at 3/pm on a Saturday. There was a line out the door to check-in and only one person at the desk. No recognition for Platinum status. The rooms are small. The biggest problem is there is poor sound proofing as it is next to highway and neat many bars and night clubs I stayed on the fifth floor and could not sleep from the banging of drums and the sounds of cars. Even worse is I like Harley's, and Milwaukee has many. I just do not need the HOG sound in my room. I came for a business meeting and could not sleep well with all the noise. When I called the grin t desk, no one answered, When I down to the desk, no was there. The pool is a joke as it is for toddlers and that is who were in it. I went o too the bar and did not see the bartender. Very bad reflection for the SPG brand and worse for the guest. K will certainty have this low on my list.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms that face north and near Highway access.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear WTNMIke,

Hopefully since our conversation regarding the poor service you received, we have gained back a little of your trust when traveling. With that said, I thank you for bringing to our attention the areas you feel we can improve on and understand that we do not take poor service lightly.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

So, my family and I stayed here for a quick spur of the moment weekend get-away. We were really excited that we found a hotel that offered 2 Queen beds instead of 2 doubles. Upon arrival, we loved the vibe and decor of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well, however, we had 2 issues that are basically deal breakers.......in our book. 1. The ridiculous noise level and 2. Filthy carpeting in our room.

The Noise: We stayed on a Saturday night, but when paying $300 per night for a hotel room, I don't expect to feel my room vibrating from the music level of a party in the ballroom of the hotel. The hotel was completely booked, so we couldn't switch rooms and the staff could only offer us "sleep kits" with ear plugs and etc and a "white noise machine"..........really? If the hotel can't host parties without disturbing/inconveniencing paying guests, they need to re-think their strategy, because this really left a bad taste in mouth and I'll probably never stay at this hotel again after this experience. We travel frequently and there's so many more hotels to choose from. It's just disrespectful and unacceptable.

The Carpet: I expect a certain level of cleanliness at hotels that present themselves as not being "budget" hotels. I'm not the type to go looking for dirt or scanning linen with a black light. However, I expect visible surfaces and flooring to be clean. Well, the carpet near our door and leading to the restroom area was filthy! There were LARGE brown stains that were dry and hard. I don't even know what else to say about it, but GROSS. I didn't even take the time to complain about this to the staff, I just know that I will never stay at this hotel again.

I'm a Starwood Preferred member and I really expected more during our stay here. EPIC FAIL..............

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
We are so sorry to hear about the level of service that you recieved. Not the type of experience we ever want any guest to have and we will make sure to discuss the issues you brought up with the team and figure out how to improve for our future guests. As a SPG member, you understand that you deserve better than this and we are sorry we failed you. Hopefully you do think about giving us another opportunity to earn back your trust, however, we understand your frustration. We hope that you find the right lodiging option the next time you are in town.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed here in August of 2013. The hotel was exactly as I had expected, having stayed in various Aloft hotels accross the Country. Milwaukee city center is somewhat run down, so only stay down town if absolutely necessary.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Aloft in Milwaukee. I am so glad to here that your stay was just as you expected. We are sorry you felt the downtown area is run down. The city has been working on improving this for years. Looks like they still have some more work to do. We appreciate you review and hope that you will give us another chance when you come downtown again.

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!