“Not very clean” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Not very clean”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I hate to write a negative review, but I was not all that impressed with this hotel. It is in a good location, and has a cool vibe, but it was not very clean. My teenage daughter and I stayed there and our room was kind of "tired" looking. Carpet was dirty. There was something gross on the wall next to the tv. Paint is starting to peel. I was just surprised because it was on the pricier side. Also, I got up early to get a cup of complimentary coffee downstairs, and while I was gone the maid walked in the room on my daughter sleeping, waking her up. I guess she knocked but teenagers sleep through everything. I just thought it was kind of rude to assume we were gone already, and it was only 8 am. Checkout is noon. It didn't occur to me to put on the do not disturb sign that early. I will say that the bed was quite comfy and despite the noise outside, we slept great. Turning the fan "on" in the room helped drown out the noise, mostly sirens, outside.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are probably quieter. It was loud, but we just turned the room fan on and s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. We are so sorry that you did not enjoy our stay. We wanted to let you know that this is not our standards nor our expectations. We will address your concerns right away. Thank you so much for brining them to our attention. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that the next time you are in Milwaukee you will give us another chance to show you our standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here with my 12 year old daughter as she was playing in a volleyball tournament on Bradford Beach. I got a good deal on a virtually sold out summer night in the city. I thought the vibe was very neat, even for us old folks and my daughter thought it was the coolest place ever! I did read many of the reviews prior to our stay and I think some of them are a little silly.

Parking in a bigger city is rarely free. We stayed in the lot directly across the river and spent $18 for the entire weekend with in and out privileges. I'm not sure if this is a standard rate or some kind of special but I found it very reasonable. The sliding bathroom door leaves a tiny crack that you would have to jam your eye up against to spy on your roommate. And really, if you are worried about this you might want to find another roommate. The glass block of the shower facing the other side of the room is clouded so it looks cool but you can't "see" anything in the shower. There are a couple of big shelves that you can lay your suitcase on instead of having drawers, and six or so hangers. There is also a nice desk with plugs for electronics, and another long wide table you could use for your luggage.

The shower is big with a huge shower head and awesome pressure. I loved the cool basin sink and all of the nice spa amenities, and free water bottles! Our room faced the river and the "loud bar area". The flat screen tv is on the wall between two large windows over looking the river and we loved the view. Unlike others, we thought the bed was super comfortable. They even have a small fridge which is not always offered. We were there on a Friday and Saturday night and maybe we were just lucky. I did not hear ANY noise from the nearby bars. What WAS annoying was the air conditioner that sounded like a plane taking off and woke me up more than once during the night. We had room 3053 which I would recommend as it was on the very end of the hallway and perhaps away from the interior noise but please service that air conditioner!

We loved the cool, intimate lobby. The staff is beyond excellent, including the nice, fun bartenders, and we used the pool table both nights. I would have loved to enjoy a drink in the contemporary outdoor area but it was clearly smoker's alley and both nights there was a cloud of smoke to walk through to get to the back entrance of the hotel (and yes I know this is a bit of unfair pre-senior citizen crankiness and a violation of smoker's rights :)) I don't think they get a lot of sport's teams at this location and I nearly panicked while I was trying to fill my cooler with ice to keep all of our water cold and my athlete hydrated. There was no ice machine to be found. I finally wandered down to the lobby wheeling my cooler and the desk attendant promptly took my cooler in the back room and filled it with ice. A little inconvenient to not have ice machines, but I much appreciated the help.

This hotel is clearly not for everyone, and you would know that if you took the time to read the reviews. But we enjoyed it very much and would certainly come back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear ChristineL,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit up to Milwaukee. Hope the tournament went well for your daughter. Thank you so much for letting us know about your review and you did a thorough job of going through the pros and cons of the hotel. LIke any hotel, it's all about preference and experience. We understand that we don't fit every single travelers needs and desires when traveling, no service industry member can. That is why we encouragef people to read and post reveiws regarding experiences so that others can learn and find the best fit for them!
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our stay at Aloft was quite nice but I do have 2 small issues, both of which are issues mentioned by many other reviewers. First off though, the staff was very nice and accommodating. From the front desk to the valet guys, everyone was extremely nice and made us feel welcome. We did like the modern vibe of the place as well.

The only 2 complaints I have are: 1) The valet is very expensive. $25 per day, that is the highest I've ever paid at a hotel, even more than some much bigger cities with much more sparse parking. 2) The noise on weekend nights is quite loud. The hotel is nearby a bar and restaurant district and you can hear the music bumping early into the morning hours. I suppose if you are one of the ones partying as well then it wouldn't bother you much but we did come in earlier one evening to watch a movie and relax and it was a bit of an annoyance. Again, these are 2 issues mentioned by nearly every other person and we knew what to expect going in so were not disappointed. I would stay here again if I went back to Milwaukee.

One other minor thing, apparently they have a green program where you can get a voucher for the store in the lobby but no one told us about it and I only found out about it on the last day when I was looking through of one the magazines in the room and the door hanger fell out. If you hang this on your door and forgo the changing of bed sheets etc, you will get a voucher.

Room Tip: I would assume rooms that do not face the river might be quieter.
Green Features: They have a green program where you can get a $5 voucher to use in the little store downstairs. Ask the front desk about it because they didn't mention it to us and I only found out about it on the last day when it was too late.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience with us here in Milwaukee. Glad you had the opportunity to take a look at other reviews before choosing to stay as that truely is the best way to pick accomodations when traveling. Glad to hear that the staff and location were to your liking and we will make sure to share that experience with the team as the love to hear when tthey take care of our guests properly. We are sorry to hear that in your experience, the parking price was high, we conitnue to remain of of the cheaper options in the downtown area, unfortuantely, parking is at such a premium here in the city, the parking lots can name their price with hotels that need to lease them.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I think this hotel should have a better recommendation score from the people. We stayed here for a weekend getaway from Chicago and had a lovely time. It was central to all the happenings (St. Patricks Day was upon us...we forgot about that) and walking distance to all of the great restaurants in the downtown area. I would stay here again. The hotel rooms were awesome and had a very modern feel with clean lined furniture and block color curtains, sheets and rug. The bed was super cozy, easy to work TV and the shower was amazing with 5 different spray jets. Amazing. At night the lobby of the hotel turned into a night club! A DJ came in and set up his equipment, there was a pool table and bar and free snack area. I mentioned FREE. Also (this is way cool) there was a game room set up and you can play Wii games. The room has bean bags and everything...major plus lol). We will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Aloft in Milwaukee. We are so glad that you had a great time with us and that you gave us such a wonderful review. Hope to see you the next time you are in Milwaukee.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night during Summerfest. Great stay, great location! Valet parking of $20-25 was too high considering we parked our own car in the ramp kiddie corner from the hotel for $10 over night. Lots of nearby restaurants/bars offered shuttle services so took advantage of that for the 1.5miles to Summerfest grounds. Dinner at Ian's Pizza & AJ Bombers for lunch the following day. Great food and both are not far to walk to!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We appreciate the opportunity to take care of you and we hope you and your husband had a great tiem at Summerfest. Hopefully, we get to take care of you again!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed for two nights in July, attending Summerfest and brewery tours. The location is great, still in downtown, but at the edge. It's a 30+ minute walk to the Summerfest grounds, with bars and restaurants along the way.

Checkin with Vicky was great - she was very friendly and it went quick and smooth. We were given a choice of a room overlooking the city or their "backyard". We chose city, but were a little disappointed it was facing away from downtown. The room was modern and clean. Bed was comfortable. Easy to access outlets (important these days!) and good options to connect technology to the TV.

The other staff we encountered, at the bar, and in elevators on their way to tasks were all extremely friendly. Carried on at least three conversations with random workers.

Parking is steep - $25 valet, $15 self park (not sure where the self park is - it's not in the hotel itself). However, if you hunt around, especially on weekends, you can park nearby on the street.

Minor quibble, while wifi was free, it was essentially too slow to be worth the effort.

My biggest complaint here is the noise. The room we had overlooked the street and a bridge - the outer walls of this building must be made of paper - it was ridiculously noisy outside. Get a interior-facing room to avoid this. And the Air Conditioning units in the room are also extremely noisy. They had units I'd expect to see in a early 90s remodel of an old hotel, not becoming of everything else modern at Aloft.

That said, I loved the hotel and would happily stay there again. A bar that's open till 1 or 2 on weekend is great, as many hotels close their bars around 10 or 11. The music and vibe is great. Don't come expecting a boring old fashioned hotel - this is a new experience. It's W without the rich pretentious attitude.

Room Tip: If you're not a heavy sleeper, choose a "backyard" (courtyard) room. The street noise...
Green Features: They will offer you a Starpoints credit if you choose to reuse your linens.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Asten77,

Thank you for sharing your Summerfest experience with us! Sounds like you had a great tiem and we appreciate the opportunity to take care of you on the trip. We will make sure that your comments regarding our team reach them as they take great pride in welcoming our guests. We hope to have you back again in the future!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was in Milwaukee for the weekend to run in the Rock N Sole Half Marathon. The sponsored hotel was full when I made my reservation and the Aloft was the other hotel with a discounted rate for runners. My check-in was smooth and the front desk was friendly. The last time I had seen such a trendy and contemporary hotel was in Europe. I liked the atmosphere and had I not been there by myself, I would have had a drink at the bar at some point. There is a pool table in the lobby which I thought was cool too. After check in, I went up to my room and was pleased. It was neat, trendy and had everything I needed. There was complimentary wifi with the room which is always a plus. I was very hungry and one of the staff at the front desk suggested a local Italian restaurant that was just a few blocks away. It was a great recommendation! As I had to be up very early the following morning, I spoke with the staff about getting a cab. They said I only needed to call 5 minutes before I wanted the cab and they were right! Throughout the weekend, I had the staff call me a cab probably 6-7 times. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The only reason why this hotel did not get 5 stars is because 1) It did not completely blow the experience out of the water 2) My room was on a noisy street. There are a bunch of bars and restaurants within the next two blocks which is really cool and accommodating, except when you have to be awake at 6 a.m. My guess is that this was a problem because it was a Friday night. If you plan to stay there on Friday or Saturday, I would suggest trying to get a room that does not face the bars/restaurant area. Again, this may have negatively affected other guests more than it did me. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We are so happy that you chose to stya with us the night before the race. Hope you did well, and we apologize about the placement of your room. We do the best we can to accomodate people's needs and unfortunately, we did not cater to you properly. Hopefully, we can have more opportunites in the future to take care of you on your visits to town.

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!