“Excellent service, Great location very friendly and upbeat service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Milwaukee Downtown

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee
“Excellent service, Great location very friendly and upbeat service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the a loft hotel downtown Milwaukee. I was very happy about the location of this hotel. It was my first time in a loft hotel. All though I was confused on why there wasn't a free parking lot, I was completely blown away on how great the valet service was. Anthony was amazing! It was so great he helped out with our luggage by running and getting us some sort of cart. we had a heavy load, I noticed that the valet was quit busy even so, He gave us several recommendations on places to eat. We loved Aj bombers he even printed the menu out for us to preview ahead of time. One last shout out goes to Vicki & Bryan @ the front desk. They were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here in Milwaukee and for giving Aloft a chance to service you. We will make sure to share your comments with the team as they always apprecaite hearing about their efforts! One quick note regarding the parking situation, like most hotels in downtown Milwaukee, we do not have our own parking lot and thus the charge for parking. We understand that it is an extra fee, however with our city restrictions, we were unable to build out a lot.

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Aloft is not for everyone. If you read negative reviews, it's most likely due to the fact that people do not like/understand the aesthetics of the brand. It's style is minimalist and modern, it's not plush and swanky. The rooms are designed for solo travelers or intimate companions -- with the shower and bathroom layouts, there's really no privacy. If you know and understand this, then a stay at an Aloft can be really enjoyable.

Every person I came into contact with at this property was extremely helpful and courteous. While the $25 a day charge for valet parking wasn't ideal, their speediness, helpfulness, and politeness made it worth it. They even pointed out a tire issue on my vehicle, which showed me that they actually pay attention to your vehicle. When we returned to the hotel, they would ask if we were planning on leaving again soon. If so, they kept the vehicle out front.

The 24-hour pool is a wonderful amenity, however, we didn't have time to take advantage of it. The hotel is right on the river and the pool area affords some really nice views.

As other reviewers have mentioned, noise is a serious issue at this property. You hear everything -- inside and outside. Outside noise is to be expected in a city, however, the inside noises were annoying. You could hear people in neighboring rooms opening and closing the window shades. You could hear people slam, slam, slamming their doors at all hours of the day and night. The in-room air conditioner sounded like a jet engine each time it kicked on. The walls are so thin that we heard someone sneeze in a neighboring room. My partner said "Bless you" at a relatively low volume and the sneezer replied "Thank you."

I would stay here again because of the convenient location, friendly staff, great amenities, and unique experience I've come to expect and appreciate from the Aloft brand.

Room Tip: City and river view rooms provide nice scenery.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear echoFifth,

thank you for taking time out to let us know about your experience and also to point out what made your stay and what could have been improved on. We always appreciate feedback of both kinds so that we can share with our team where we shine and where we need to work harder at. Glad to see you like the Aloft brand concept, you are right, the brand itself is not ideal for everyone. We hope to have you back again in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Aloft - Downtown Milwaukee
1230 Old World Third Street · Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53212
Phone:(414) 226-0122
5/24/14-5/26/14

I need to give two ratings; Hotel 3 (If I could do 3.75, i would); surrounding area: 2

The hotel of choice on this trip was the Aloft. It's location is very close to the River walk, and maybe 15 minutes walk to downtown. It's also located on a street that has a pretty good (but wild) night life - if you're into drinking, and dancing then this location is for you!

The hotel itself is a new concept: trendy, chic. You might say it's more suited for those young 20 to 30 whippersnappers. The hotel itself is decorated very modern: base bowl sinks, swank leather sofa, high ceilings.

I did not encounter any crazy people running down the halls or hearing neighbors; I recommend you get the top floor.

PROS:

+ Location can’t be beat; 10-15 minute walk to downtown (desolated however, not much activity), pretty much central to anywhere you want to go

+ Friendly Employees (and a roaming security guard to keep things under control in the hotel itself)

+ Great lobby for unwinding - comfortable seating, pool table, table to plug-in for computers, pads, etc, snacks for purchase (over-priced, but its hotel pricing…)

+ 24-hour pool/workout access (splash pool, but great none-the-less)
Room safe: big enough for your laptop and other electronics

+ Free and speedy WiFi

CONS:

- LOUD bars and clubs surround this triangular hotel. Music blaring starting mid-day going into the night; apparently a gentlemen’s agreement between the hotel and the bars to turn off music blasting into the streets at midnight (per a desk rep); not followed through on Sunday night. Had to call down to desk and ask (at 1245AM), when the music was going to stop.

- No cabinets for clothing; you’ll have to figure it out with the cubby-holes they created for the closet; hanging clothes cannot be placed horizontally across (closet area could have been extended 2 more inches); cubby-holes for
suitcases - maybe two - but what if you have a family of 3 or 4?

- People LOVE to slam their doors; they should invest in door mechanism or just a note on the desk when you arrive - respect your neighbors, try to catch the door when you close it…

- Watch out for the courtyard - if anyone is loud yammering in the late night - call to the desk - they will hand it for you.

- Bathroom: YES - no vents to switch on if you have smelly poop ;) YES - the doors do not close all the way - so you have a peephole — all they needed was another 1 to 1.5 inches for the door to make this happen — they still can since they roll…but basically - don't be peeking in!

- Last, but no least, $25/day valet parking — I suppose its the norm; steep; you can get $15/day (prepaid - cash only) across the street with in and out privileges. You’d think if you were a SPG member; maybe you’d get special pricing for $15/day…think about it.

NOT A CON, BUT CHOOSE WISELY: They have a 'green program" whereby if you put a card out on your door, housekeeping will NOT visit you, and you get a $5 voucher for the re:charge station in the lobby; In most hotels, you would still get housekeeping to come in and make the bed, clean up the bathroom, etc. (but not clean sheets)... NOT HERE if you choose the program; I would not sign up at registration if you're planning to stay more than a night. I got confused; but they sent up the cleaning people (at 5pm) and took me off the list.

Final Thoughts: I loved the hotel; but HATED the surrounding area with all the loud noise from the neighboring clubs. Had I known about this, I’d have rethought the location.

Would I go back?
Only if there was a guarantee that all blasting bar music shuts off at MIDNIGHT (or sooner) with no grumblings from the clubs - or if the hotel gave a free night.

Room Tip: Top floor, inside court; try not to go on weekends; blaring loud music from all the surrounding bars
Green Features: You will only get housekeeping if you (a) dont pre-sign up at check in and (b) leave card on bed. I got confused; but they sent up the cleaning people (at 5pm) and took me off the list.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TheDoctor1963,

Thank you for taking time out to write both the good and the bad regarding your experience here at the hotel. We thank you for allowing us an opportunity to have you with us on your visit. We are sorry to hear that the surrounding night life of Milwaukee was one of the main points that casue you hesitation to come back and stay with us. Unfortunately, we control the clubs about as much as we control the weather, so while we try to work with each other, they are a business just as we are, so at the end of the day, they need to do what is best for them.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have seen some Aloft hotels here and there and they all look modern and cool. This one too...but having stayed here for my overnight stay during Memorial Day weekend, I can say the look did not cover everything I expect from a hotel of this rank. The receptionists were all nice and friendly, and asked if we wanted a room overlooking the river, which we chose. We were given a corner room on the 4th floor, I thought it had a nice space for a couple but the bathroom was not practical at all. The sink was separated from the bedroom only by partition, and the shower box (no tub) was only reachable going through the toilet which was next to the sink area. The toilet door separating the room from the sink area was a sliding door and does not close all the way. The glass door from the toilet to the shower also has a space below so water splash from the shower makes the toilet area all wet. One side of the shower box glasses is facing the bedroom so if you are too close to it you can be seen through from the bedroom! It may be OK for a couple like us traveling together, but having glanced at other reviews which mentioned the similar structure in other rooms, I will not recommend this hotel for family/friends travelers...

The hotel is too close to the highway, so even though it is located a bit away from downtown, it does not give the benefit of quietness. A bar on the river was quite noisy as well, but (I suppose thanks to the city noise ordinance) that stopped just past midnight. The walls / doors must be very thin as we could hear everything that's going on in the hallway. Plus the air-conditioner was very loud as well....

As for room amenities, hair dryer, tea/coffee pot, nicely-scented body shampoo/cream are good to have. We first thought we forgot the toothpaste and my boyfriend called the reception, he was told to come downstairs and purchase it from them. Well we did find a toothpaste of our own in the end but when we were downstairs to check out, I saw the display of tooth cleaning it for $7.00... no thanks.

I have been a budget traveler most of the time, so I can take "cheapy but with a character". The hotel is decent, but it is expected to be so when it is not a B&B. If you are not a budget traveler and expect a "city hotel" standard, you may be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the noise from the bars on the river, stay on the inner land side of the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Sorry to hear that the design of the hotel did not meet your expectations while traveling. We thank you though for sharin gyour opinions as it will allow us to look at the operational features that we not up to our expecatations and fix them going forward.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

THINGS THAT WERE GREAT ABOUT THE HOTEL
• The architecture, lighting and branding are sleek & contemporary.
• Speedy check-in
• Friendly employees
• An inviting hotel lobby where people can play pool, lounge, get a drink and snacks at the bar and use the hotel’s PCs with a printer attached
• A 24-hour pool with its own bathroom, shower, towel service and lounge chairs
• A nice workout room open 24 hours and has a good selection of free weights, benches, LifeFitness treadmills, recumbent bikes, an all-in-one station and ellipticals
• In-room Bliss amenities (combo shampoo/conditioner, body moisturizer and a bar of soap
• Their conservation program that allows you to forego linen and towel housekeeping for a $5 voucher in the Re:fuel snack shop or 250 Starpoints
• The in-room safe is big enough for a 13-inch laptop and other gear, but it might not accommodate something larger than a 15-inch laptop.
• Zippy fast WiFi and a desk dock with HDMI and USB ports, monitor jacks and a couple grounded outlets on the smallish writing desk.
• The location is close enough to downtown without being in the grittiness of downtown, and the neighborhood is relatively safe. Other than bars and a few restaurants, there isn’t much around the hotel yet. The land around the hotel has been cleared in the hope developers will build new residential high-rises and commercial spaces. A CVS or Walgreens within walking distance would be nice, but everything’s a short drive from the hotel.

THINGS I LIKED BUT DROVE OTHER REVIEWERS CRAZY
• I loved the shower and the peek-a-boo frosted glass panel. No one seemed to like this, but I liked not having a bathtub to hurdle over just to take a shower.
• The Bliss amenities supplied via wall pumps. The hotel doesn’t have to worry about stocking little bottles of this & that.
• I loved the bookshelf & rack for clothes and stuff. Not having a dresser or closet means not having to worry about the cleanliness of drawers and dinginess of closets. The only problem was that the rack has six hangers, and there’s no privacy for your stuff.
• The sliding bathroom door. A half-inch of space you can peek through because the door won’t slide all the way? Stop griping. DON’T PEEK!

THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT THE HOTEL
• The walls and doors are paper thin—you can hear everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING. The folks two doors down going at it at 8am?—yeah, everyone within 30 feet of your front door heard you.
• The doors SLAM shut. If people would catch their front door before it slams shut, everything would be fine, but no…SLAM, SLAM, SLAM, and you’ll hear that through your own thin front door.
• The floors have a weird resonance thing (Wood frame construction? A false floor above a thin concrete slab?), so you might hear your next door neighbors walking around their room because sound travels sideways. The hallways, too; if someone walks heavily down the corridor near your room, you’ll hear them.
• The loud group talking and laughing down in the courtyard at 3:30am. One phone call to the main desk, and they were silent within five minutes.
• The weekend was party time—a bachelorette party, wedding participants and groups and their noisy conversations down the hallway making their way to their rooms at 1am.
• The $25/day valet parking. You don’t have many parking options nearby, and you probably won’t want to leave your car parked out on the street overnight.
• There are no curtains in the room; only a couple rolling vinyl shades. The morning light seeped around the edges and into the room. This is one of the reasons hotels and motels have light-blocking curtains that overlap and completely cover the windows, but alas…no curtains here.

THE BIGGEST THING THAT NEARLY RUINED MY STAY AT ALOFT BUT ISN’T THE HOTEL’S FAULT
• OMFG, the insanely loud outside noise on the weekends! The Aloft is a block from two streets full of college bars, most of which are open until 2am, each blasting their own music with thumping bass and dozens of revelers screaming and stumbling around drunk in the streets and sidewalks. It was the worst cacophony I’ve ever heard, and there’s nothing the hotel can really do about it. Even an interior courtyard room and the room fan didn’t provide enough acoustical muffling to overcome the noise. And that lasted until 2am Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings. Do NOT stay here on the weekends if you’re a light sleeper. Even though the front desk offered to let me move to another room facing away from the Riverwalk and Water Street, trust me when I write: You’ll feel like changing hotels in the middle of the night. The only saving grace is that the bars have to close by 2am, and things start calming down around 1-ish.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to write a fair and detailed review regarding your experience with us here in Milwaukee. We always appreciate feedback and constructive criticism so hopefully we can learn and improve for our future guests. Yes, our location is a blessing and a curse, depending on what you are coming to Milwaukee for on the weekends. However, we try to acoomodate everyone, so if you are a light sleeper, let us know ahead of time and we will do everthing possible to get you accoomodated.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nice hotel. Customer service was wonderful. We arrived early and was provided a room immediately. Not only were we provided a room, but we were given a room, upon my request, that over looked the river. Nice. Room was comfortable, made for efficiency. Bathroom right behind bed, with wall separating. 2 Dasani water bottles provided, free. Wifi was free, but I was never able to get on internet, not sure why, as I never inquired. Refrigerator, coffee maker, iron board, blow dryer, all was in room. Bed was comfortable. Hard to get temperature just right. Hotel was walking distance to everything, especially the beautiful river walk, which went on for miles. Breakfast was free, but not worth it. Cooked behind counter, but food was microwaved for you, not like freshly made. Was ok. I would recommend this hotel to get away from Chains.

Room Tip: Top floor, facing river
Green Features: Always a friendly face when you walked in. Smoking available in outside coutyard, facing river.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit here in Milwaukee. We will make sure to share your comments regardin gour service with our team. We hope to have you back again in the future.
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed at the Aloft for the first time and was very pleased with my experience. The valet attendant, Pat, was very prompt, friendly, and professional when I arrived. He was very helpful with suggesting transportation around the city as I didn't want to drive and also suggested places nearby that I could walk to. The front desk was attentive, friendly, and easily approchable. The overall customer service was great at the Aloft. The hotel was very clean, modern looking, and affordable for a downtown hotel. Very nice hotel and staff, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Cherly M,

Than kyou fo rchoosing to stay with us on your visit. It is always nice to hear when our guests enjoyed their stay and our team made an impression on you. We will definitley make sure they see your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed yourself, wee hope to have you back again in the future!

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!