Aloft - Downtown Milwaukee
1230 Old World Third Street · Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53212 Phone:(414) 226-0122
I need to give two ratings; Hotel 3 (If I could do 3.75, i would); surrounding area: 2
The hotel of choice on this trip was the Aloft. It's location is very close to the River walk, and maybe 15 minutes walk to downtown. It's also located on a street that has a pretty good (but wild) night life - if you're into drinking, and dancing then this location is for you!
The hotel itself is a new concept: trendy, chic. You might say it's more suited for those young 20 to 30 whippersnappers. The hotel itself is decorated very modern: base bowl sinks, swank leather sofa, high ceilings.
I did not encounter any crazy people running down the halls or hearing neighbors; I recommend you get the top floor.
+ Location can’t be beat; 10-15 minute walk to downtown (desolated however, not much activity), pretty much central to anywhere you want to go
+ Friendly Employees (and a roaming security guard to keep things under control in the hotel itself)
+ Great lobby for unwinding - comfortable seating, pool table, table to plug-in for computers, pads, etc, snacks for purchase (over-priced, but its hotel pricing…)
+ 24-hour pool/workout access (splash pool, but great none-the-less)
Room safe: big enough for your laptop and other electronics
+ Free and speedy WiFi
- LOUD bars and clubs surround this triangular hotel. Music blaring starting mid-day going into the night; apparently a gentlemen’s agreement between the hotel and the bars to turn off music blasting into the streets at midnight (per a desk rep); not followed through on Sunday night. Had to call down to desk and ask (at 1245AM), when the music was going to stop.
- No cabinets for clothing; you’ll have to figure it out with the cubby-holes they created for the closet; hanging clothes cannot be placed horizontally across (closet area could have been extended 2 more inches); cubby-holes for suitcases - maybe two - but what if you have a family of 3 or 4?
- People LOVE to slam their doors; they should invest in door mechanism or just a note on the desk when you arrive - respect your neighbors, try to catch the door when you close it…
- Watch out for the courtyard - if anyone is loud yammering in the late night - call to the desk - they will hand it for you.
- Bathroom: YES - no vents to switch on if you have smelly poop ;) YES - the doors do not close all the way - so you have a peephole — all they needed was another 1 to 1.5 inches for the door to make this happen — they still can since they roll…but basically - don't be peeking in!
- Last, but no least, $25/day valet parking — I suppose its the norm; steep; you can get $15/day (prepaid - cash only) across the street with in and out privileges. You’d think if you were a SPG member; maybe you’d get special pricing for $15/day…think about it.
NOT A CON, BUT CHOOSE WISELY: They have a 'green program" whereby if you put a card out on your door, housekeeping will NOT visit you, and you get a $5 voucher for the re:charge station in the lobby; In most hotels, you would still get housekeeping to come in and make the bed, clean up the bathroom, etc. (but not clean sheets)... NOT HERE if you choose the program; I would not sign up at registration if you're planning to stay more than a night. I got confused; but they sent up the cleaning people (at 5pm) and took me off the list.
Final Thoughts: I loved the hotel; but HATED the surrounding area with all the loud noise from the neighboring clubs. Had I known about this, I’d have rethought the location.
Would I go back?
Only if there was a guarantee that all blasting bar music shuts off at MIDNIGHT (or sooner) with no grumblings from the clubs - or if the hotel gave a free night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown is a modern boutique-style hotel near the business district, Bradley Center arena, Milwaukee River, Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, and is 15 minutes from MKE Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Starwood, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Aloft Milwaukee Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown Hotel Milwaukee