“Decent, but short of expectations... for some at least” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent, but short of expectations... for some at least”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have seen some Aloft hotels here and there and they all look modern and cool. This one too...but having stayed here for my overnight stay during Memorial Day weekend, I can say the look did not cover everything I expect from a hotel of this rank. The receptionists were all nice and friendly, and asked if we wanted a room overlooking the river, which we chose. We were given a corner room on the 4th floor, I thought it had a nice space for a couple but the bathroom was not practical at all. The sink was separated from the bedroom only by partition, and the shower box (no tub) was only reachable going through the toilet which was next to the sink area. The toilet door separating the room from the sink area was a sliding door and does not close all the way. The glass door from the toilet to the shower also has a space below so water splash from the shower makes the toilet area all wet. One side of the shower box glasses is facing the bedroom so if you are too close to it you can be seen through from the bedroom! It may be OK for a couple like us traveling together, but having glanced at other reviews which mentioned the similar structure in other rooms, I will not recommend this hotel for family/friends travelers...

The hotel is too close to the highway, so even though it is located a bit away from downtown, it does not give the benefit of quietness. A bar on the river was quite noisy as well, but (I suppose thanks to the city noise ordinance) that stopped just past midnight. The walls / doors must be very thin as we could hear everything that's going on in the hallway. Plus the air-conditioner was very loud as well....

As for room amenities, hair dryer, tea/coffee pot, nicely-scented body shampoo/cream are good to have. We first thought we forgot the toothpaste and my boyfriend called the reception, he was told to come downstairs and purchase it from them. Well we did find a toothpaste of our own in the end but when we were downstairs to check out, I saw the display of tooth cleaning it for $7.00... no thanks.

I have been a budget traveler most of the time, so I can take "cheapy but with a character". The hotel is decent, but it is expected to be so when it is not a B&B. If you are not a budget traveler and expect a "city hotel" standard, you may be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the noise from the bars on the river, stay on the inner land side of the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Sorry to hear that the design of the hotel did not meet your expectations while traveling. We thank you though for sharin gyour opinions as it will allow us to look at the operational features that we not up to our expecatations and fix them going forward.

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

THINGS THAT WERE GREAT ABOUT THE HOTEL
• The architecture, lighting and branding are sleek & contemporary.
• Speedy check-in
• Friendly employees
• An inviting hotel lobby where people can play pool, lounge, get a drink and snacks at the bar and use the hotel’s PCs with a printer attached
• A 24-hour pool with its own bathroom, shower, towel service and lounge chairs
• A nice workout room open 24 hours and has a good selection of free weights, benches, LifeFitness treadmills, recumbent bikes, an all-in-one station and ellipticals
• In-room Bliss amenities (combo shampoo/conditioner, body moisturizer and a bar of soap
• Their conservation program that allows you to forego linen and towel housekeeping for a $5 voucher in the Re:fuel snack shop or 250 Starpoints
• The in-room safe is big enough for a 13-inch laptop and other gear, but it might not accommodate something larger than a 15-inch laptop.
• Zippy fast WiFi and a desk dock with HDMI and USB ports, monitor jacks and a couple grounded outlets on the smallish writing desk.
• The location is close enough to downtown without being in the grittiness of downtown, and the neighborhood is relatively safe. Other than bars and a few restaurants, there isn’t much around the hotel yet. The land around the hotel has been cleared in the hope developers will build new residential high-rises and commercial spaces. A CVS or Walgreens within walking distance would be nice, but everything’s a short drive from the hotel.

THINGS I LIKED BUT DROVE OTHER REVIEWERS CRAZY
• I loved the shower and the peek-a-boo frosted glass panel. No one seemed to like this, but I liked not having a bathtub to hurdle over just to take a shower.
• The Bliss amenities supplied via wall pumps. The hotel doesn’t have to worry about stocking little bottles of this & that.
• I loved the bookshelf & rack for clothes and stuff. Not having a dresser or closet means not having to worry about the cleanliness of drawers and dinginess of closets. The only problem was that the rack has six hangers, and there’s no privacy for your stuff.
• The sliding bathroom door. A half-inch of space you can peek through because the door won’t slide all the way? Stop griping. DON’T PEEK!

THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT THE HOTEL
• The walls and doors are paper thin—you can hear everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING. The folks two doors down going at it at 8am?—yeah, everyone within 30 feet of your front door heard you.
• The doors SLAM shut. If people would catch their front door before it slams shut, everything would be fine, but no…SLAM, SLAM, SLAM, and you’ll hear that through your own thin front door.
• The floors have a weird resonance thing (Wood frame construction? A false floor above a thin concrete slab?), so you might hear your next door neighbors walking around their room because sound travels sideways. The hallways, too; if someone walks heavily down the corridor near your room, you’ll hear them.
• The loud group talking and laughing down in the courtyard at 3:30am. One phone call to the main desk, and they were silent within five minutes.
• The weekend was party time—a bachelorette party, wedding participants and groups and their noisy conversations down the hallway making their way to their rooms at 1am.
• The $25/day valet parking. You don’t have many parking options nearby, and you probably won’t want to leave your car parked out on the street overnight.
• There are no curtains in the room; only a couple rolling vinyl shades. The morning light seeped around the edges and into the room. This is one of the reasons hotels and motels have light-blocking curtains that overlap and completely cover the windows, but alas…no curtains here.

THE BIGGEST THING THAT NEARLY RUINED MY STAY AT ALOFT BUT ISN’T THE HOTEL’S FAULT
• OMFG, the insanely loud outside noise on the weekends! The Aloft is a block from two streets full of college bars, most of which are open until 2am, each blasting their own music with thumping bass and dozens of revelers screaming and stumbling around drunk in the streets and sidewalks. It was the worst cacophony I’ve ever heard, and there’s nothing the hotel can really do about it. Even an interior courtyard room and the room fan didn’t provide enough acoustical muffling to overcome the noise. And that lasted until 2am Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings. Do NOT stay here on the weekends if you’re a light sleeper. Even though the front desk offered to let me move to another room facing away from the Riverwalk and Water Street, trust me when I write: You’ll feel like changing hotels in the middle of the night. The only saving grace is that the bars have to close by 2am, and things start calming down around 1-ish.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to write a fair and detailed review regarding your experience with us here in Milwaukee. We always appreciate feedback and constructive criticism so hopefully we can learn and improve for our future guests. Yes, our location is a blessing and a curse, depending on what you are coming to Milwaukee for on the weekends. However, we try to acoomodate everyone, so if you are a light sleeper, let us know ahead of time and we will do everthing possible to get you accoomodated.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nice hotel. Customer service was wonderful. We arrived early and was provided a room immediately. Not only were we provided a room, but we were given a room, upon my request, that over looked the river. Nice. Room was comfortable, made for efficiency. Bathroom right behind bed, with wall separating. 2 Dasani water bottles provided, free. Wifi was free, but I was never able to get on internet, not sure why, as I never inquired. Refrigerator, coffee maker, iron board, blow dryer, all was in room. Bed was comfortable. Hard to get temperature just right. Hotel was walking distance to everything, especially the beautiful river walk, which went on for miles. Breakfast was free, but not worth it. Cooked behind counter, but food was microwaved for you, not like freshly made. Was ok. I would recommend this hotel to get away from Chains.

Room Tip: Top floor, facing river
Green Features: Always a friendly face when you walked in. Smoking available in outside coutyard, facing river.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit here in Milwaukee. We will make sure to share your comments regardin gour service with our team. We hope to have you back again in the future.
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed at the Aloft for the first time and was very pleased with my experience. The valet attendant, Pat, was very prompt, friendly, and professional when I arrived. He was very helpful with suggesting transportation around the city as I didn't want to drive and also suggested places nearby that I could walk to. The front desk was attentive, friendly, and easily approchable. The overall customer service was great at the Aloft. The hotel was very clean, modern looking, and affordable for a downtown hotel. Very nice hotel and staff, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Cherly M,

Than kyou fo rchoosing to stay with us on your visit. It is always nice to hear when our guests enjoyed their stay and our team made an impression on you. We will definitley make sure they see your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed yourself, wee hope to have you back again in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

When reading reviews for this place, I saw people complained about the cheaply made rooms but I wrote those comments off. Now that I have visited I would say I completely agree with those comments. I can see what they were going for with the ultra modern decor and clean lines but it wasn't they didn't succeed in my opinion.
The biggest negative thing about the rooms is that the bathrooms are not at all private. The door to the bathroom is a cheap sliding door that muffles no sounds, and doesn't completely cover the entrance to the bathroom (you can see someone standing in the sink area). I was staying with my sister so we didn't mind much but she did comment that she would not want to stay there with her husband.
Also, the lighting in the sink area (where all of the rooms mirrors are) is awful. We were trying to get ready for a concert and we ended up using our own tiny mirrors and sitting on the bed to get ready.
Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. There are so many nice hotels in Milwaukee, I expect higher quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you so much for visiting with us. I am so sorry that we were not the right fit for you. We really appreciated all of your feedback regarding your stay. I am very sorry you did not enjoy the Aloft experience.
Loule, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here when we went as a group to see the ball game

It's clean and very funky

It's only minutes away from the bars and great to get to the ball game as there are local buses that take you to the game

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting with us while you were in town to see the ball game. I am so glad you had a great visit. We hope to see you again.
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The location was perfect. We were in Milwaukee for a Brewers game and a friend recommended the Aloft. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. We will definitely stay here again! The area is filled with fun things to do. You can walk and enjoy the area.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hope you enjoyed the Brewers game! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and please make sure to thank your friends for the recommendation for us. Hope to have you back soon!

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!