“Great customer service, excellent place for business travel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
NY
“Great customer service, excellent place for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Over the last couple years, I have stayed at the downtown Aloft many times. I travel nearly every week of the year to Milwaukee and the Aloft is always my first choice. The front desk service is top notch and they always greets with a smile... even with a first name greeting as I told them never to call me "Mr.". The excellent service goes beyond the front desk and even up to the supervisor level as they are extremely helpful with special requests.
All in all, the location is excellent as well as the service.

The only downsides are the beds leave something to be desired and the high rate for parking. The parking seems standard across all hotels so I consider this a 'wash' but in my opinion the beds bring an Excellent rating to Very Good rating. Even with that said, I continue to stay here each week as the service outweighs all, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter, avoid handicap rooms if possible as the showers are smaller
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thanks for letting us know about your experiences here with us. We thank you for staying with us each and every week and we apprecaite you allowing us to be your "home away from home".

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had previously stayed at the Aloft for my birthday January 2012 and had a great time with my friends. There were several of us that met up in my hotel room to have drinks before our night out on the town. We also came back to the hotel afterwards to hang out for a bit before those who weren't staying there left for the night, no problem.
Unfortunately this weekend was a completely different story. It was the Midwest Brewhaha Roller Derby tournament this weekend and so there were a few hundred derby members, friends and relatives from leagues around the midwest staying at Hilton, Hyatt and Aloft. Our first night in the hotel, we were asked to leave the 24 hr pool area because some people decided to bring in drinks. They didn't ask those who had the drinks to leave, they made everyone go. Some of us were staying on the 2nd floor and some on the 3rd. Those of us who still wanted to hang out came to my room as we don't really ever get to see each other since we all live in different states. We were not up there more then 15-20 min after being asked to leave the pool when security comes and says they have a noise complaint. We said we would keep it down, but they insisted that anyone whos name wasn't on the room had to leave. I asked why we weren't being given a warning and rectify the noise level, they said a second complaint & we get kicked out of the hotel so they were trying to be pro-active by having everyone leave. They said no one could be in the room unless their name was on the reservation. I asked to see that policy. They brough up the night front desk person, who told me there isn't a policy but that they have to take action on the noice complaint (which I was told our door was being open/closed). I informed her no one had gone in or out since we had come up & the only door being used was the sliding bathroom door which does close with a loud if slid too hard. She said it wasn't the noise. I was very upset that we were not even being given a 2nd chance and instead she turned it into a huge scene with 2 security personnel. They then waited outside our room to make sure everyone left. I live in STL and don't get to see my close friends often, so 2 of them stayed behind. They lingered outside my room listening at the door and heard them talking. They knock on the door again and say they have to leave. I asked again for a policy, the front desk person comes again and says there isn't one but proceeds to come into my hotel room to search it, walking in on my friend in nothing but her bath towel. At that point she left. The next day I spoke with the manager and expressed my unhappiness with the way the situation was handled and I felt we were being targeted because of what happened in the pool. She told me that they should not have been lingering outside my door nor come in to search my room, but they have a policy of 4 people to a room. I advised her the number of bridal parties, etc going on that night and seeing numerous people coming and going from other rooms. She had no response. I told her I would take responsibility for any noise, and that I would make sure there were no further problems our last night there. Sunday night we didn't even bother to go to the pool and instead, me and 3 of my friends ordered pizza and chatted in my room. 2 of my friends are smokers and went out to smoke, leaving just myself and one of my friends. About 5 minutes after they left, there was a knock on my door. I said to my friend, you have got to be kidding me. He looked through the peephole & sure enough, it was the front desk clerk from the night before. She told me that she received another noise complaint & could hear loud talking down the hall as she was walking to my room. I told her to her face she was lying and harassing us, as there were only 2 people currently in the room & even when my other friends were there, all we were doing was eating pizza. She said that she could hear us. I told her I had spoken with the manager earlier that day and assured her there would be no issues, hence, we skipped the pool & there were only 4 of us there, as she said was the allowed number. She got a nasty look on her face and said that she knew I went and spoke with the manager. I told her I was going to do the same in the morning. I closed the door and she left, so I thought. My other 2 friends returned and I asked them to go in the room and have a conversation at level louder then what we had been having. I then went to the end of the hall to see how loud it was. As I did this, she came back around the corner and then told me I was not allowed to walk in the hallways!! I advised her as to what I was doing and that she was a liar. We were directly outside my door and I asked her what she heard. Again she said I could not be in the hallway. I had her walk with me downstairs and get the manager's card. I also re-itnerated that I felt she was harassing us. The next day, before speaking with the manager, I turned the volume up on our TV to level 45. In the room, it was quite loud & even somewhat difficult to hear each other. I went to the hall to see what could be heard. At the end of the hall, I could not hear anything, as I approached it was very faint. You couldn't really hear much until you got to the door of the room next to us and even then it was not even nearly as loud as it was directly in the room. I went and spoke with the manager and advised her of the situation. She just stared at me blankly & said she doesn't know why she would lie. I told her that she was welcomed to come with me back to the room to check out my noise level test. Again she told me she didn't know why the desk clerk would lie. Well, neither did I, but people do. I am not sure if it was because most of us were tattooed and appeared younger(?). But although we are tattooed and part of the derby culture, we are also professionals. I am a Surgical Technologist with a large hospital back in STL, my friends consisted of bankers, photographers, medical sales reps and lawyers. It's 2013, people should not be judged on appearance, but I feel this is what happened. I will be contacting the GM because this is ludicrous. The other derby leagues that stayed at Hyatt and Hilton had absolutely no issues at all, even though they were partying in the lobby, etc..
Also, I typically stay at Hilton or Courtyard By Marriott when I come home and have friends over and never had any problems. In the future, I will make sure that I do not book a room at Aloft and neither will my friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We are sorry that you experience with us ended in this type of feeling. We can appreciate the fact that you felt harrassed by the staff and in no way is that ever our intention.
We are responsible for providing a great experience for all of our guests and must attempt to provide each person, regardless of the nature of their visit with us a place to rest their head. It is our policy and responsibility to treat each noise complaint, regardless of significance the same way each and every time to try to accomodate each and every guest. All we can do in situations like yours is to respond to them and try to work the situation out. Our hopes is that the party that has the complaint against them is responsible and courteaous enought to understand that while they may not feel there is an issue, there is another person that feels differently. Most times the problem remedies itself through rationalization and courtesy, however other times mulitple warnings and evictions are necessary.
Again, we apologize that you feel as though you were harrassed by the staff, however, we do have an obligation to the rest of our guests to remedy any and all issues during their stay.
Oshkosh, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My room was comfortable. Staff was friendly on check in. There's no restaurant, but sandwiches, salads, sodas, and snacks are available 24 hours, as well as cooked breakfast in the morning. I opted for self-park for the reduced cost, though I think I'd spring for the additional amount to avoid a 1-block walk to the self-park lot next time. The room was clean and comfortable with large windows and a decent view. Walking distance to some bars and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Milwaukee! We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to have you back again in the future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We picked this hotel because we were going to a brewers game that night. It was within walking distance to many bars that offered a free shuttle service to Miller Park. Hotel was very clean and staff was nice. Parking was $25 a night which I thought was a little high but so be it.

• Stayed May 2013
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We hope you enjoyed your time with us as much as you did the Brewers game. Hopefully you got to see them win one! We appreciate you allowing us to take care of you on your visit and hope to have you back in the future!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my wife and 3 year old as I had a client meeting the next day- walls of room were paper thin and had hear a couple next door having sex all night - went down to front desk and they told me I can move rooms - I guess they couldn't call the room to tell the couple to quiet down but wanted me to move rooms in the middle of the night . Next morning as I was trying to check out - was told that the self park was full the night I checked in and had to fight them not to pay the full valet price ( when even the attendant told me I didn't have to ) . Spend a few more dollars on a better property ...you will be happy with your decision

• Stayed May 2013
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations while traveling to Milwaukee. We appreciate the comments and will take the time to go over them with the front desk to better communicate and make things more smoothly for our future guests.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This Aloft is a terrific hotel in a great location in Milwaukee. The sociable, friendly bar in the lobby is not to be missed - great cocktails, a decent bar menu (wouldn't kill them to add a few more choices to it!), and a mix of travelers. The staff are fun, hip and Wisconsin-friendly and contribute to the quality of the stay. Rooms and amenities are budget-W but the beds are super comfortable. Good value too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on this trip to Milwaukee, glad you enjoyed your experience with us! We appreciate your comments and hope to have you back again in the future!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a terrific hotel. If you've stayed at an aloft you know what you're in for-which is a modern chic place with a polite, courteous and helpful staff. Location is good-walking distance to a bunch of places. Usually here for business so don't spend a whole lot of time wandering around.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. We are so happy that we were able to take care of you on your business visit. We hope that we continue to provide you with the expectations that you deserve when traveling. Hope to see you again soon!

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!