“Great Location. Trendy, But Here Are A Few More Things To Consider” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Milwaukee Downtown

Special Offer
$10 Breakfast Credit
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location. Trendy, But Here Are A Few More Things To Consider”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was an interesting hotel. My first impression was that the hotel was trying hard to be like Swishotel or W, but then the company makes it clear that aloft is trying to be a smaller boutique W brand and that’s fine. The rooms seem smaller than most hotel rooms but I suppose that every inch is well utilized. I travel mostly Hilton and love my Hilton points. I recently joined SPG and thought I would try out an SPG hotel to see how it would compare and pick up some points. Here are the positives:
1. Upon entering, the lady at the front desk was very pleasant. So were the valets. They did a nice job of making you feel that your car was going to be secure. They were very quick with bringing the car around when you needed it.
2. Very clean and safe hotel. The lobby was kept in good shape and there was a police officer at night in the lobby.
3. I slept very well over my two night stay. There was only one issue (read below)
4. The best part was its location. I think it’s situated in the best place downtown. Just a block away from the Bradley Center, fun bars, and restaurants. Best location than the Hilton hotels.
5. I loved the opportunities I had to receive additional SPG points. I hope this trend continues.
6. Great price. I thought that, as far as price, the hotel stay was more than fair.

I do have some negatives or perhaps opportunities for improvements:

1.The cleaning staff didn’t arrive until after 4:00. So we had spent the day visiting the sites and I was tired and expected to come back to the hotel to take a nap in clean sheets before dinner. I opened the door to find that no one had cleaned the room. When the staff member arrived, around 4:10, she was apologetic, but didn’t seem to understand that room management is a big deal when it comes to quality hotel service.

2. At 9:00 at night on 3-29-13 a hotel staff member (I assume cleaning staff) was vacuuming either in the hallway or in the room. (The walls have thin walls and you can be heard by others as well as hear others. The hotel staff offers a sleeping kit to help their guests have a restful night.) When I called the front office, I was asked, “Would you like me to tell her to stop?” I almost laughed at her and how this professional chose to respond. “Yes. It is past 9:00 at night!” I was taken aback by the indifference in her response.

3. I enjoy coffee, as do most people. They offer complimentary coffee, but twice they had run out of coffee. I would think that the organization would want to make sure that at the very least, coffee is always ready and available, like at Hampton Inn, or Garden Inn Hotels. I let the person at the front desk know and she replied simply with, “Ok.”

4. It has a quirky feel to it. It has an IKEA style to it. I’m in my late 30’s so perhaps I am not in the age demographics that they are hoping to attract. Or maybe I don’t get the current styles. The hotel decorum didn’t appeal to me. I prefer more of a traditional decorum in which customer service is given a priority, rather than a “do your own thing when you feel like it” attitude.

In conclusion, if I was coming with a bunch of friends and we were going to a Bucks game or we were going to do a pub crawl, then I would again consider Aloft. If I were staying for business or wanted to be pampered a bit, I might have to choose a Hilton next time I’m in Milwaukee. Still, this wasn’t a bad experience and I wish the hotel success.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review on the items you appreciated and the items we need to work on. You are right in the fact that the Aloft is not for everyone, however, that does not necessarily mean that it does not fit for you. In fact, the items you mentioned as far as service is not something we look at lightly nor do we accept as acceptable. Thank you for bringing these concerns up as we will look into the problem areas and address them. Service is a standard that we set very high here and typically (as in other reviews) soemthing we take grerat pride in. It seems as if you had a bad experiecne with it and there is no excuse for it, but I do want you to know that we will address it and correct those issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Aloft felt like a lot of the other Alofts, but that's a good thing, especially if you like the Aloft brand. Hotel staff were very helpful--they have a very nice bar with some light food. Convenient to Milwaukee attractions. Parking is a little bit of a problem--$23 for valet or $15 for self-park a couple of blocks away. Rooms were very nice, large, and clean. Gym, pool, and outdoor space were also very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to serve you while you were in town for your getaway! You seem like an Aloft expert and we appreciate you seeking out our brand when you travel and more improtantly glad we provided you with the same experience you have had previously! We hope to have you back again in the near future!
Libertyville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a nice hotel. It's very eclectic and located on the river in downtown Milwaukee. I always request top floor/end unit when I make a reservation but it rarely gets noticed. This place actually read the request I made via the online reservation and made it happen The pool and workout room were great. The lobby has a nice bar and a pool table. We stayed two nights recently. The maid came to our door at 8:30 the first morning. We asked her to come back later and called the front desk to let them know we'd left for the day at 10. The room never got serviced. The toilet and shower are separated from the rest of the room by a door that slides on the outside of the door frame. Even when closed, there are sizable gaps which offer little privacy. There's a kitchen in the lobby with an expansive menu, however, all the items we had were frozen reheats and tasteless and should definitely be avoided. Hence, while this hotel strives to achieve a hip, cool image, it fails at some of the basics.

Room Tip: They actually read requests submitted via online reservations, making them one of the very few I'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience with us. It is so important for us to know what we did right for you and where we can improve. We are so sorry about the miscommunication with our team and the servicing of your loft. We will examine the problem and make sure to correct as obviously it is our repsonsibility. thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope that we have an opportunity to seerve you better in the future.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is an upbeat hotel in a great location. It's close to many restaurants, theaters, sporting venues and night life.
Victoria Voelz the front office manager is just wonderful. She made us feel very special and addressed all of our questions and needs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know about your experience with us and with Victoria! We will make sure to recognize her for her efforts, though it is something that she provides on a daily basis with us and we are fortunate to have her! We are happy that we were able to offer you everything you needed near the hotel while you stayed with us and hope to have you back again soon!
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have found our new favorite hotel in Milwaukee - they even won last year's Trip Advisor award. We loved the room, the staff and the location. We will certainly be back again and again.

The location of the hotel was within walking distance from many restaurants and Pubs not to mention the Pabst Theater. We parked our car and never needed to get it out while we were there.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to get the top (5th) floor with a great view. I think the staff is willing to a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are very proud of the Trip Advisor award we won last year for top 10 trendiest hotels in the US. Thank you for allowing us to take care of you on your visit to Milwaukee! We aprpeciate you taking the time out to let us know about your experience and hope to have you back again in the future!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is now my regular place when I come up for a show at Turner Hall. It's a short walk to the venue, and you can get a room for $99 plus tax when you book with AAA or advance purchase. Cool modern rooms, a couple of bottles of complimentary water, nice bar downstairs. It's not the Pfister but it's half the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hope the show at Turner Hall was everything you expected, they do great events over there! So happy to hear that we will be your choice when traveling to downtown for events! You are absolutley right, we are not the Pfister! Two very different hotels and styles, glad you recognize that.
WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Not only are you greeted by a friendly staff here, but the location puts you within a short walk of fun Old World 3rd St. and Water St. bars and restaurants as well as entertainment and theater. Plus, your pet can stay with you FOR FREE! Very comfy and clean rooms and beds; decent-sized rooms; in-house bar and indoor pool; inexpensive for downtown lodging; security keeps you feeling safe in an area that is always busy. Have stayed in Alofts in MKE and Montreal and loved both. I like the $5 in-house credit for each day (on multi-day stays) you don't use room service, which is actually more convenient for those with pets. We used ours for lattes each day. Also got bonus points for drinking at the bar. Only negative at all Alofts seems to be the HVAC system which can be temperamental and a bit noisy. Otherwise, the rooms are very well insulated from noise considering the downtown location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river which runs alongside. Walk the river walk!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
What can I say, we love our four-legged companions! Thank you for staying with us on your visit to Miwlaukee, we appreciate having you as our guest. Sounds like you took advantage of all the options to earn some easy extra bonus points, which is a great way to quickly add up to free things such as gift cards or free stays. Hope to have you back again!