This was an interesting hotel. My first impression was that the hotel was trying hard to be like Swishotel or W, but then the company makes it clear that aloft is trying to be a smaller boutique W brand and that’s fine. The rooms seem smaller than most hotel rooms but I suppose that every inch is well utilized. I travel mostly Hilton and love my Hilton points. I recently joined SPG and thought I would try out an SPG hotel to see how it would compare and pick up some points. Here are the positives:
1. Upon entering, the lady at the front desk was very pleasant. So were the valets. They did a nice job of making you feel that your car was going to be secure. They were very quick with bringing the car around when you needed it.
2. Very clean and safe hotel. The lobby was kept in good shape and there was a police officer at night in the lobby.
3. I slept very well over my two night stay. There was only one issue (read below)
4. The best part was its location. I think it’s situated in the best place downtown. Just a block away from the Bradley Center, fun bars, and restaurants. Best location than the Hilton hotels.
5. I loved the opportunities I had to receive additional SPG points. I hope this trend continues.
6. Great price. I thought that, as far as price, the hotel stay was more than fair.
I do have some negatives or perhaps opportunities for improvements:
1.The cleaning staff didn’t arrive until after 4:00. So we had spent the day visiting the sites and I was tired and expected to come back to the hotel to take a nap in clean sheets before dinner. I opened the door to find that no one had cleaned the room. When the staff member arrived, around 4:10, she was apologetic, but didn’t seem to understand that room management is a big deal when it comes to quality hotel service.
2. At 9:00 at night on 3-29-13 a hotel staff member (I assume cleaning staff) was vacuuming either in the hallway or in the room. (The walls have thin walls and you can be heard by others as well as hear others. The hotel staff offers a sleeping kit to help their guests have a restful night.) When I called the front office, I was asked, “Would you like me to tell her to stop?” I almost laughed at her and how this professional chose to respond. “Yes. It is past 9:00 at night!” I was taken aback by the indifference in her response.
3. I enjoy coffee, as do most people. They offer complimentary coffee, but twice they had run out of coffee. I would think that the organization would want to make sure that at the very least, coffee is always ready and available, like at Hampton Inn, or Garden Inn Hotels. I let the person at the front desk know and she replied simply with, “Ok.”
4. It has a quirky feel to it. It has an IKEA style to it. I’m in my late 30’s so perhaps I am not in the age demographics that they are hoping to attract. Or maybe I don’t get the current styles. The hotel decorum didn’t appeal to me. I prefer more of a traditional decorum in which customer service is given a priority, rather than a “do your own thing when you feel like it” attitude.
In conclusion, if I was coming with a bunch of friends and we were going to a Bucks game or we were going to do a pub crawl, then I would again consider Aloft. If I were staying for business or wanted to be pampered a bit, I might have to choose a Hilton next time I’m in Milwaukee. Still, this wasn’t a bad experience and I wish the hotel success.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown is a modern boutique-style hotel near the business district, Bradley Center arena, Milwaukee River, Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, and is 15 minutes from MKE Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Starwood, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Aloft Milwaukee Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown Hotel Milwaukee