I first stayed at an Aloft in Munich, Germany. I remember thinking at the time that this concept would be perfect in the US, and I was thrilled to see one come up in my search results while planning a recent trip to Milwaukee.
The concept: It's like a cross between a budget, low-frills hotel and a design hotel, with most of them situated in a BRILLIANT location for business and recreational travelers. The price tends to fall in the moderate range in most locations. The lobby and rooms tend toward modern, high-end design. Colors are bright and bold, and because they are new, they tend to be in pretty good shape.
The rooms: Don't expect a big room. Expect a small room that is very thoughtfully designed to seem a lot bigger than it is when you're staying there. Seriously -- they squeeze utility out of every square inch. I wish my house was designed this well.
Room amenities: They had everything I expected, from free WiFi and a nice big TV right down to toiletries from Bliss in NYC (my favorite.) What a nice touch to find their signature "Mini Blue Bar" of soap in the bathroom. They aren't cheap. Instead of providing individual soap and shampoo in the shower, they had dispensers containing Bliss products, so they only have to pay for the 2-3 pumps you actually need. (These seemed to be locked -- I appreciate that. Don't want some jerk putting Nair in the shampoo dispenser, right?)
Two complementary bottles of water! NICE!!! Most places gouge you $3 or $4 each for a $0.25 bottle of spring water.
Hotel amenities: I was surprised to find a decent gym and a small indoor pool. Nice touch. Even better was the lobby, with lots of comfy seating, a happening bar, and a free pool table! They also have a little mini-cafeteria open 24/7 where you can pick up drinks/snacks.
Only complaint: They have free coffee in the mornings, but it was put away and over before 10 a.m.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown Hotel Milwaukee
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Milwaukee Downtown is a modern boutique-style hotel near the business district, Bradley Center arena, Milwaukee River, Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, and is 15 minutes from MKE Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Starwood, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Aloft Milwaukee Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.