“One of the worst hotels I've stayed at” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Midwest
“One of the worst hotels I've stayed at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

At first glance, the Aloft looks charming and chic. The few pluses that I'll give it: it's stylish, the fruit-infused water in the lobby is tasty, and its location is convenient. Now for the minuses:
1) It's dirty. My carpet was stained with something that looked like blood or coffee.
2) They have a "go green" option in terms of housekeeping. This doesn't mean that they clean your room but don't provide the linens like it does in some hotels; it means they don't clean it at all. In exchange, you get a voucher worth $500 or 500 Star Points. I did this on my first day, and I was surprised that they didn't even replenish my coffee or my washcloths, so I had to ask at the front desk. The second day, I decided NOT to go green, but housekeeping never came, much to my dismay, and when I requested to have coffee pouches sent up for morning, they never arrived. The morning of my check-out I went downstairs and the free coffee for breakfast was gone with no more to be brewed, and I waited more than 20 minutes for the coffee packets to brew in my room and still never got them. At least the folks at the desk let me make a free Americano with the fancy machine, and they let me have my breakfast for free to compensate for the fact that I didn't get my room cleaning the previous day (nor did I receive the second voucher).
3) It's NOISY. They're doing construction on a nearby bridge, which can begin as early as 7 am. Aside from this, I could hear people in other rooms walking about, opening and closing their blinds, and doing other things. It was very difficult to sleep.
4) The entryways and lobby were messy too.

So, in short, this hotel is dirty and with poor service. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for my room (it was covered by a work trip), but if I come back to Milwaukee, I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Sorry to hear that you had such an unpleassant experience while staying with us. Obviously not the type of experience we wqant any guest to walk away with. Whether or not the company footed the bill, it is the overall experience that we care about. Thank you for letting us know how it went for you and we will follow up with the team to ensure things that we can correct, do get corrected. Luckily, the bridge construction is done (according to the time line) on November 16th, so that will be a huge help. Again, apologize for the experience you had, but we will learn from this and improve so it does not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've travled to several cities both for business and pleasure, and Aloft MKE Downtown makes staying in a ho-hum area of Milwaukee more than tolerable. I recently stayed for some serious training, and I was always well rested, had plenty of options for entertainment, exercise, and the occasional libation. I also remained at the hotel for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was never short of healthy options for all of my meals and snacks. I want to give a shout out to Kristi @ Aloft and all the other staff members who made my stay awesome.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Make sure to select a room street side until they finish the bridge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. Glad we could be of service to you and it makes it even better when our staff stands out to our guests! Hope the training went well and it was packed with exciting new information! Come see us again the next time you are in town, we would love to take care of you again!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Accustomed to visiting W hotels, thought this would be a sufficient alternative in the Milwaukee area. I read a number of reviews commenting on the speed of valet, front desk staff, etc and we experienced only high levels of service in these areas. Upon arrival to the room however, we found a couple dead bugs (not bed bugs) but bugs none the less and promptly requested a linen change. Over 45 minutes passed before housekeeping was able to assist and that was after 2 calls. Bathroom was huge, plenty of room, shower was great, no amenities to speak of aside from lotion and 'gym' type shampoo/shower (i.e. nothing to take with you). Beds were not comfortable (very hard).

Location was fantastic. Was within walking distance of everyone we had intended on going. Easy walk to Water Street and the Third Ward. Many younger guests, didn't feel out of place, but definitely a younger crowd. Bar is basically right within the lobby doors, so not very secluded or private.

Not sure I'd return, but the service was wonderful!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We appreciate you giving us feedback regarding your visit with us. Glad you found the staff helpful, but we are disappointed in the room condition you found. Absloutely not our standard and we will resolve the issues immediately. Thoug you said you are not sure if you would come back, please let us know if you are willing to give us an opportunity to earn back your trust when traveling, we would love to show you that the experience you had is not typical!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Aloft's a relatively new hotel (2+ years, I think) located in an area that's somewhat in transition from "old" to newly upscale. The demographics of the area are such that the area seems to be changing fairly rapidly. Best I could tell, there are some nice urban upscale young professional type condos across the river and up the hill. Places like Panera, Starbucks, etc. have moved in (which they wouldn't if the demographics didn't support it).

Hotel's sort of a budget version of the "W" brand - trendy and catering to a younger but willing-to-spend some money clientele. Rooms are sort of Ikea-simple in design, but cool and functional. Lots of outlets into which to plug your I-phone, I-Pad, laptop, etc. And there's a pool table (free of charge) in the lobby.

Downside is that they're reconstructing the bridge right next to the hotel and there isn't any self-parking available. It's valet only, though they park it in the vacant lot right across the street ("so why not offer a self-parking option for convenience," one might ask!). Still, valet parking people were very eager, available, and helpful. Same goes for front desk staff and the people who really went the extra mile to help set up the ballroom for our event. They're doing all they can with the space and support they've got. Once the construction on the bridge is done and a few things are built around it, this hotel will be in a good location. As it is, there are a bunch of restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. right on 3rd street itself as well as across the river on Water Street. Nightlife was pretty active on a Friday night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your travels with us. You are right, this December, we will be 3 years old and we are proud of how the area has "come up" over the past few years.
The bridge construction is an inconveinece, but definitely needed. Fortuantely, it is scheduled to be finished in early November (early Christmas peresent for us). We would love to offer self park and even free parking, however, we do not own the lot and part of the lease prohibits us from anything but valet.
We are glad you found the team welcoming and friendly to serve you, we all hope that you come back and see us again!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel was great. The best hotel I've ever stayed at. The location is superb: walking distance from many bars and restaurants. We had a view of downtown and the Pabst Brewery from our room. Very very clean. Modern / young-hip decor. I would have liked to have seen a phone book in the room though. The valet gentlemen were excellent. Valet was (I think?) $25 and they do NOT have free parking. The bar in the lobby was great: great drinks, decently priced. Their outside patio "hangout" area is quite nice with a beautiful view of the river. They have the coolest floors in their elevators (weird, I know.) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about the experience you had on your visit. We are happy that we were able to take care of you on this trip to Milwaukee. Hopefully, you had a great time while in the city. Please come back and see us again in the future!
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here with a group of people after The Color Run in Milwaukee. The price was decent for 4 of us. The hotel is not bad at all...no complaints on our end. I used the valet which was decently priced. We called for more towels and they instantly came. We didn't have any issues with noise or anything. The hotel is located right by all of the trendy bars and nightlife --- so it's in a great location. I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Hope the Color Run went well and the 4 of you enjoyed your time in the city. We hope to be able to have you back the next time you are in town!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We checked on Tuesday for a two night stay. Our plane landed around 9:45 AM so we took a cab downtown to the Aloft. We were able to check in early thanks to a wonderful front desk clerk by the name of Christy. To be completely honest, Christy was the best part of the entire experience as she was very professional and above and beyond kind.
We opted to take a room without the river view which is what we had originally booked. However, due to the hotel being sold out the night before we took a room on the 2nd floor which was available immediately. This wasn't a wise decision(taking a room on the 2nd floor). Upon calling the front desk they spoke to me and said as soon as something became available they would move us. We returned from lunch and they moved us without incident. They even offered to assist us.

Upon moving to the next room, we noticed the view was cool but the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. It took some time getting use to the bed and the horrible iron. After a while the air stopped cooling and the room became warm and sticky.

The next morning, we called down stairs and were moved. Needless to say, neither my wife or myself slept well that night. We actually rested a good part of the day after journeying to nearby AJ Bombers for lunch.

I was off to present a presentation and returned late that evening to a room that was extremely warm. The maintenance department sent someone up to check the air and he apologized, gave us two drinks on the house and helped us move to another room that was right beside where we were.

Overall, the staff was excellent and the lobby was excellent with great ambiance. However, I wouldn't stay at another Aloft by Starwood.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river are better than looking out on the 2nd level.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sorry to hear about your experience with the rooms and more importantly the bed. Not the type of stay we hope you recieve, glad the staff was responsive, but can understand your frustration. We hope that while you did not find our beds comfortable, you do give our other brands a try as the beds are different. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!