“great location, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Oregon, Wisconsin
“great location, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I was excited to stay at Aloft in Milwaukee...super location, great rate, chic decor, and a comfortable bed. What's not so evident were the paper-thin walls and frat-party feel on the sleeping room floors. There were twenty-somethings partying quite loudly above and across from us until at least 6am - one young guy in nothing but a towel was storming up and down the hall on our floor yelling for his girlfriend. There was security in the lobby, but we never saw her to quiet things down in other areas of the hotel.

My hussband called it "dormitory-style lodging" - I've stayed in youth hostels that were more restful.

Room Tip: ask for something that's not on the street side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. Sorry to hear about your weekend visit with us, but we do appreciate the feedback so that we can address issues that may come up. This feedback will help us in working with our security team to address problems and work to limiting such disruptions in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This property and the staff are a first class operation. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The location is superb, the hotel is extremely clean, great rooms/suites, the showers are amazing. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of the hotel and staff. We always appreciate the positive feedback, but more importantly are glad that you had such a wonderful experience with us here. Hope to have you back again as a guest soon!
Appleton, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, on the Riverwalk, and in easy walking distance to anywhere downtown Milwaukee. Pretty cool decor - ultra modern styling. Very cool vibes at our Friday night check-in. Front desk staff can provide lots of information and maps on the area. Room layout is very efficient and fairly spacious. For a person who doesn't usually notice bed comfort (unless it's missing), I was impressed at how wonderfully comfortable the beds are, with real duvets no less. Breakfst isn't free, but a feature I liked is the grab and go salads and sandwiches, which would provide real convenince to road warriors especially. My only two downsides are the expense of the valet parking (but you get that at most big city hotels) and a certain cheap feel to the construction. I wonder how long it will stay looking so nice - but for now, it's great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thanks for taking time to share your opinions on the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your weekend with us and hope to be able to take care of you again in the future.
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed at the aloft with my fiancee for two nights over my birthday weekend and couldn't have been happier with our choice. The decor of the whole place was very cool and trendy. The bar happy hour specials were good so it made perfect spot for all my girlfriends to meet before our night out on the town!! They have a free pool table in the lobby which with the happy our prices make the aloft lobby and perfect pre-party spot!!! My only complaint was that the whole staff wasn't overly helpful but there are a couple who will go above and beyond for you. The bartender was awesome and really added to our stay....All and all had a fun experience here and can't wait to stay again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Happy belated birthday! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for allowing us to take care of you on your special day. Glad you found the staff to be helpful overall, but also thank you for letting us know where we have room to improve!
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Cheap decor. Skimpy on amenities: towels, soap, coffee. We had to call down for everything. Service was prompt, though. The room and the pillows had a musty smell. Parking was overpriced.

This was my 2nd stay and it seems that, although this is a relatively new hotel, it's starting to look run down. I think that management needs to get its act together.

Maybe if you're very young and have no expectations, you might like the Ikea style decor and quasi-hip concept. For me, I'll go someplace else next time. Hard to believe that this is part of the W hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for the feedback, we always appreciate what our travelers have to say. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, and I would love to have the opportunity to address these concerns with you personally. If you have the time, please feel free to contact me and we can discuss where we can get better.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I Iike the somewhat minimalist trendy room at the Aloft, but the lobby is cluttered and messy (trying too hard). The rooms however are great, excluding the showerheads. I've stayed at this hotel about 7-8 nights in the last year, and the showerheads are all the same - poor pressure and too broad of a spray (takes forever to rinse off!).

The communal shampoo and body wash bothers me a bit - but I got over it. I prefer my own little bottles but it's not a deal killer.

Great beds - very comfortable. I also travel with a dog sometimes - and this hotel is very welcoming (they provide a bed & bowls, and don't charge extra).

If you like your window shades open, avoid a courtyard room. They claim the outside rooms are more noisy - but I don't like looking into other guests' rooms (and vice versa); the windows don't open so I don't think the outside rooms are noisy at all.

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms - unless you keep your shades closed. The east facing rooms have the best...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for letting us know what you think, we appreciate any and all feedback. Interesting note about the rooms and the noise, the bridge being under construction definately helps with that since they work on a normal work schedule. Glad you are able to enjoyo the hotel with your dog, we love to take care of pets since they are also part of the family!
Middleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This was my first stay at an Aloft and - except for the bathroom design - I was not disappointed. Style. Practicality. A welcome lounge for guests. Starwood has done a great job bringing a fresh concept to the weary business traveler.
The one disappointment was the bathroom design. Poor lighting. Odd pocket door with gaps allowing sight lines between the sink/dressing area and the toilet/shower. But otherwise design of the room is European smart.
Location is great for events at the Bradley Center and Turner Hall. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review and letting us know what you liked and where we can improve. Despite the bathroom design, we are glad that you enjoyed the concept and feel of the hotel. We understand as road warriors, a great hotel experience can make all the difference. We hope to have you back to take care of you again!