“My new favorite hotel in Milwaukee” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“My new favorite hotel in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

Hotels in downtown Milwaukee are either standard/boring large hotels or expensive boutique hotels. The Aloft is a new, stylish, and wonderful addition in downtown Milwaukee. The rooms are great and it's right along the river walk. It's my new favorite hotel in Milwaukee!

• Stayed September 2011
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Appreciate you letting us kow about your experience with us! You hit the nail on the head as we are design oriented trying to redefine the way hotels feel and look. See you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

At first we thought this was going to be another condo building! What a nice surprise to find an affordable well located hotel in Milwaukee. Plan to stay there again soon!

Room Tip: If you don't care about price, call the hotel, reserve a room and ask for a room on the opposite...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking time out to let us know about your experience. Glad you found us and can't wait to have you back again!
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is my first stay at an Aloft hotel so my review likely reflects more about my thoughts on this concept than on the Milwaukee property. If I have an opportunity to stay at other Aloft properties, I’ll likely be in a better position to rate the merits of this location. That said, I don’t get this concept.

Billed as “A vision of W Hotels” my understanding is that Aloft is a limited service, less expensive hotel with design elements borrowed from W hotels. Who this brand is trying to attract is what has me confused. Business traveler? Nope. I travel non-stop for business and don’t see this hotel as an ideal set up. The rooms are very small and loft-like. There is a perfectly fine desk and good wireless so I was able to be productive, but there is no chair so I had to eat my carry-in dinner in my bed (ick). There are no ice machines on the floors – had to go back to the lobby to get a small bag of ice. There are no glasses in the room (glass or plastic) so drank my ½ bottle of wine out of a paper cup (ick again).

Service is immature and odd. The check in desk looks like a DJ booth at a disco (round and in the middle of the lobby) The two guys working behind the desk seemed to be glued to their computers…no eye contact and greeted me with something akin to “Sup?” I valet parked my car – called down in advance when I checked out – the three valet hipster-guys were busy in a conversation but did finally give me my keys. I had to scrape the windshield because they drove it to the front with the glass covered in frost.

W Hotels have a hip vibe. Aloft (at least this one) is just weird. Courtyard Marriotts are definitely not hip, but are far more superior to this concept.

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during December 2012. The hotel is in a very nice location (downtown) and was quite accessible from my office. The staff was very helpful at all times.
There are no convenient stores around the hotel (nearest one is about 4 blocks away) however there is a small section on the ground floor where off-the-shelf food and drinks can be purchased (a little pricey!)
There are many restaurants / bars around the hotel and you will never run out of options.
They have a valet car part but I found very expensive and there are cheaper options around the hotel. An indoor swimming pool and an ATM is useful.
I would stay here if I visit Milwaukee again. Ask for corporate rates!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river. You may get a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thanks for the review - hope to see you again the next time you are in Milwaukee!
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is my second stay at aloft in Milwaukee. My company has a very nice rate, and I'd continue staying here whenever in town for business... it's got large rooms, a cool lobby; however one of my biggest pet peeves is a weak shower.

And while aloft has a pseudo "raindisc" type shower head, there wasn't much pressure and no where near enough volume to have a satisfied shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a "river" view if you'd like to have a little view out the two windows.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Appreciate the review! Glad you enjoy the room and the concept of our re:mix(lobby).The note about the shower pressure is something we can look at, perhaps you wouldn't mind contacting me so that we can figure out how to help?
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

This is my second stay at the Aloft in Milwaukee.

It is the best of a handful of downtown hotels my company authorizes for employees to stay at while working in the 'burbs. We get a good rate there.

The service is good. The rooms are clean but already showing wear. The beds are very comfortable, and made up in lots of crisp linen, but the pillows are too 'puffy' ... if that makes sense, They spring back into shape WAY too easily making moving in your sleep uncomfortable.

The light switches are a PAIN IN THE NECK. I don't want to face the glare of the bright lights over the mirror first thing in the morning, but if I want light in the shower area, I have to turn those on too. The master switch near the door renders the bed's reading lights inoperable ... but of course nothing explains this to you ... it took a bit of trial and error to figure out that 'feature'.

The in-room coffee was surprisingly good. The mini-fridge, bottled water and in-room magazines are a nice touch.

My bathroom door was jammed OPEN when I arrived. I didn't tell anybody until I left for work the next morning and it was promptly fixed, but shouldn't housekeeping have noticed that when they made up the room?

My one complaint about housekeeping ... I like to sleep in a COOL room. When I left in the morning the thermostat was set at 65. When I returned that evening it was jacked up to 74. Why?

The slider between my shower/toilet and sink area was jammed opened when I arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms far from the elevators. For some reason, normal conversation in the hallways carries...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am sorry that your temperature was changed in your room upon your return. I can understand how uncomfortable that is because I also need my room cold in order to get some sleep. Definately something we will look at as it should not be happening. You make a good suggestion regarding the light switches, especially since one of the switches is the main power switch and the other two control the lighting in the room. It is because of feedback such as this that we can address the issues that you have! Thank you
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We started out searching for a cheap downtown Milwaukee hotel to stay at. We came across this place on Expedia. After reading the reviews here, we decided to book the hotel. It was amazing. It was very modern and trendy without the price tag.

The valet met us outside and we unloaded the car while they parked the car. Yes, it did cost $23.00. Considering this was the big city I didn't feel that was so bad. There is very little public parking, but I look at it this way: Someone has a job by using the valet.

Check in was easy. In the matter of 10 minutes we were in one of the nicest rooms I have been in. King bed was comfortable. The open concept for the shower was cool. The view of the River and Water St. was nice.

After dinner we came back bfore we went out to the bars on Old World Third St. There are so many of them to go to. If it were warmer, it would hve also been close enough to walk to Water St; although many people probably still do. We had a drink in the lobby bar. WXYZ. There was a free pool table. Couches. Fireplace. It was amazing. The crowd was younger, maybe 30 and under, but We as almost 40 year olds didn't feel out of place at all.

The bed was comfortable. We didn't hear outside noise, but there was this undeniable howl or bellow. It was almost an eerie like sound. But it certainly didn't hinder our nights sleep.

The staff from start to finish were awesome. Very friendly. Very helpful.

I highly recommend staying here. We don't live far from Milwaukee, only a 20 minute ride, but we didn't want to chance it after a night out on the town. We will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, as the other view looks into construction lots.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thanks for finding time to give your feed back on your experience. So glad to hear that the staff took care of you while you were our guest! We look forward to hsoting you again on your next visit to Milwaukee! Please feel free to reach out to me as well to see how I can help with your next visit!

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!