“Do not choose this hotel for your wedding!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Wisconsin
“Do not choose this hotel for your wedding!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

While the idea of Aloft is a good one, and the decor is funky and fun, I cannot express how much we regretted choosing this hotel for our wedding. Where to begin? Booking rooms... I had 3 family members be told they were getting "the last room available in the block"- and each time I called I was told that we had plenty of rooms left. One of my bridesmaids was charged twice for her room. My husband went to check in for our room on the day of our wedding (around noon) and was told he couldn't for two reasons 1. He wasn't me (just my husband, come on!) and 2. He couldn't check in early and was told "I don't know who told you you could check in early but that's not how we do things here." I called THREE times to make sure we and other family could check in early and was told as long as we called ahead there would be NO problem. Prices here were outrageous as well, we wanted to rent a conference room for a gift opening but they wanted $500 for us to use it for 1 hour. Sorry, we're bringing how much business to your hotel with this wedding and you want us to pay THAT much? We ended up just using the lobby because no one is hanging out there at 11am on a Saturday! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought since we were the wedding couple maybe they'd have something in our room- a "Congrats" or "Welcome Newlyweds"- something simple... and of course, that's not required, but every other wedding I've been to, the hotel has done this. Overall- we were 100% unimpressed. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff was totally contradictory to each other and often rude- not a place you'd feel "at home."

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience. I am so sorry that you had this type of experience on what should have been one of the happiest days of your life. We will definately look into the issues that you experienced in order to correct them and move forward so that others will not have to endure them. We wish you good fortune and a great marriage, please contact us if there is anything you would like to directly discuss with us. 414-266-0122 ext 4907

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I had no issues staying at this hotel, it was a very pleasant experience with clean rooms and excellent service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Thanks for taking the time out to let others know about your experience. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and that we could give you a great experience so close to the holidays. We know how stressful, as well as joyful, this time of year can be and we want to be the last thing you need to worry about!
WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed at Aloft in downtown Milwaukee twice. The 1st time was for business, during mid-week. I liked the newnesss, the room was large & modern. Check in was easy, friendly staff. I enjoyed my stay very much, so I kept the property in mind as a destination for lesiure travel. My 2nd stay was vastly different in respect to noise. During my 1st stay I didn't notice any appreciable noise from the halls. The 2nd stay was extremely noisy when other guests returned from their nights out. No one was yelling, or screaming, but I could hear every conversation of people who came on the floor. I had gone out myself & returned about midnight. From the time I turned in till about 4 am I was woken up at least 1/2 dozen times. The hall noise was terrible. I'd have no problem staying again during the week, but I doubt I'll stay again on a weekend.

Room Tip: I was within 5 doors of the elevator & had a hard time sleeping
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
While it is great to hear that you had a good first experience, I am sorry to hear that you second did not measure up due to hallway noise. Thank you for taking time out to let us know though! We want our guests no matter when they stay with us to get the best we can provide, so feedback such as this is much appreciated.
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We needed a hotel for a quick in and out stay in Milwaukee. The hotel served it's purpose, and I only paid $50. I would be very unhappy if I paid more. The location was OK, but I'd rather stay in the area of the Hilton City Center. The hotel itself is trying to be trendy, but they missed the mark because it's kind of dumpy. The lobby areas, and rooms were clean…. but the hotel felt like a college dorm to me. We had a handicap accessible room, so it was very large. Not sure if all the rooms are this large. The shower was terrible. No water pressure at all. Don't expect any ammenities either. Valet parking is $23; however, there is a pay lot directly behind the hotel where we paid $15. No sense to valet unless weather is bad.

The hotel worked for our very quick stay; and we didn't want to pay a lot of money so since we paid only $50 I wasn't too upset; however if I paid more I would be extremley disappointed. There are several hotels in this area I would rather stay at if the cost was higher than $100.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look directly into another person's room like ours did.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thanks for giving us your feedback, we always appreciate when our guests let others know about their experiences. The handicap accessible room is larger than your typical king or 2 queen loft, so if it more space you are looking for, you can definitely request one upon booking.
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Me and my girlfriend came down here with our miniature dachsund to stay for a saturday nite. The fact that this property was pet friendly was a major factor in us staying here. When we got here, we quickly realized that we definitely made the right choice in hotels. EVERYONE at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The valet first greeted us and immediately helped us with our check in process. The front desk staff got us checked into our room and made sure all of our luggage was taken care of. The lobby is jaw-dropping. Awesome atmosphere, trendy vibe, pool table, lounge area with an indoor / outdoor fireplace, pool, nice workout facility, even a nice comfortable lounge outside. When we got to our room, we were amazed. The river view room we requested had an awesome view of the river / downtown. The windows were large and offered plenty of natural light. The tv was big enough. The walk in shower was very neat and open and offered plenty of natural light as well. They offer Bliss hygiene products which were very above par for a hotel. We had our dog along and within 10 - 15 minutes they brought up a dog bed, bowls for food and water, and even a few treats for our little friend. The hotel has a great location right on the Milwaukee river, and easily within walking distance of anything in downtown Milwaukee you would want to do. The noise from the bridge outside was a little loud, but the metal grate is bein removed so this wont be a future problem. The walls do seem a little thin. You can hear people passing by in the hall as well as some overly loud "intimacy" in the next room. This wasn't much more sound than any other hotel, though, so not a big issue. I read a few other reviews where people stated the air conditioning unit was very loud.... It was a little loud, but not any more than a unit at any other hotel. Again, not a big deal. I was impressed that the a/c went down to a chilling 45 degrees!! Not that anyone would ever use it, but just a neat feature. The hotel also does not have a hot tub / jacuzzi in the pool area. A minor downfall that will definitely not stop us from staying here again, but it would have been a nice bonus to have. Overall we were very satisfied with Aloft Milwaukee and will absolutely be staying here again!

Room Tip: I would recommend a river / city view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we can't wait to have you back! Make sure you take advantage of the winter specials we will have up coming.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

This was the first time I was staying at an Aloft property, and overall I was pleased. The place is trendy, the room had some cool features such as a nice TV, interesting bathroom, and plug in center for your peripherals...the free water, snacks, and internet is a nice touch.

The place is also within walking distance of a lot of good bars and restaurants.

One negative...you can hear a lot of hallway noise...seems like the sound echoes out there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've never stayed in an Aloft before so I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at the atmosphere and the vibe of the design and those working there (very hip). The rooms were great EXCEPT the closets/clothing storage.
I know that Aloft is using the space smartly and having the clothes in the closet facing you like in a store (the bars holding the hangers are slanted down so you can see all your clothes at a glance) but for some reason, I was irritated every time I saw them.
Maybe I felt this way as - along with the position of the racks - the "curtains" that were covering the clothing storage didn't move on their tracks properly.
I'm sure that this is just me and any designer would laugh at me. I will definitely stay at an Aloft again if I have the chance. So ignore my rant about the closets :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thanks for the review of your visit with us. We appreciate knowing what you lilke and did not like. The closet can be an issue if you are traveling for a longer period of time with us. While not a whole lot we can do about the current design, feedback such as this allows us to learn and make modifications in the future. Any type of feedback is helpful and appreciated!

Been to Aloft Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!