“Premium Prime” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ward's House of Prime

Ward's House of Prime
540 E Mason St, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)
414-223-0135
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 1,383 restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Jackson
Description: Open weekdays for lunch 11am-2pmDinner 5pm-10pmLounge 4pm-1amClosed Sunday
Madison, Wisconsin
“Premium Prime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There are many nice places to take your business or personal friends for a dinner night out.
Ward's has some of the best prime cuts in the area and is a great location for a pleasant,relaxing evening. We selected lobster ravioli, an 8 oz prime rib and a combo plate of both lobster and prime. My guests were all happy with their selections. We topped it off with Creme Brûlée, Pistachio Gelato and their chocolate cake. Portions are small but just right for topping off dinner.
I had heard about this place occasionally and was delighted to finally check it out myself. I highly recommend it as a place worth bringing your business associates or personal friends.

• Visited November 2012

74% Recommend
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Dined on a Saturday night. We had a 7:00 reservation and our party of four was promptly seated. Jack,our server was very attentive and paced our meal. The Lobster Bisque was delicious and had quite a bit of lobster in it for a cup size serving. The 24oz cut of prime rib was served a juicy med rare, just as ordered. It was delicious and was complimented by a perfectly cooked baked potato. The atmosphere was upscale, but we felt very comfortable in our jeans and sweaters.
My wife had a filet special they were running. She liked her meal so much that she ate the whole thing. She doesn't do this very often! Parking was very convenient with a valet at the front door $5.00 charge which is very cheap for downtown. This place will be on our list of go to restaurants !!

Poynette, Wisconsin
“Great Prime Rib”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

It was some of the best prime rib we'd ever had! The three of us visited last night, all ordered the special 12-oz prime-rib at the 8-oz prime-rib price, which is available only once a month. We didn't know that, but it was perfect, as 16-oz sounded like too much, and 8-oz sound like too little. We are glad our waitress told us about the special!

The meal started with a basket of delicious bread, followed by a wonderfully fresh salad, and then our prime rib. We all ordered mashed potatoes as our side. The only difference in our order was the way we ordered our prime-rib, rare, med-rare and medium, and each piece was cooked to perfection! Both the prime-rib and mashed potatoes melted in our mouth. Yes, that's right - no teeth needed to dine at Ward's!

I'll definitely visit again!

• Visited February 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Prime Rib At Its Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was in the mood for prime rib, and, for me, there are only a couple of places that know how to prepare it properly. Ward's is one of them. I ordered one of their "too large to eat" cuts, because I love leftovers (their beef is every bit as good cold the next day as it is in the restaurant.) My wife had a more reasonably sized cut. There was no difference in flavor. Many times, the quality of the beef or the amount of flavor will vary with size. Not at Ward's House of Prime. Both cuts (even though mine was literally twice the size of hers) were ordered medium rare and were prepared to perfection: pink, moist, hot and EXCELLENT! They have an extensive wine list, with a nice selection available by the glass. The server was fun, attentive, professional, and non-intrusive. Sides (salad, double baked potato) were good - but this meal was about the center of the plate. We sat in the main dining room (even though I prefer the side room next to the windows - closed for a party) which was comfortable and refreshingly quiet. If I have any complaint about this restaurant, it is that their prime rib is so outstanding that I can never bring myself to ordering anything else (their steaks look like they would be worthy of the attempt).

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“the lack of service was very frustrating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Upon arriving, the hostess was very nice. The dining room atmosphere is elegant and comfortable. Yet, from the beginning the waitress behaved as if we were infringing upon her time. It took at least 15 minutes for her to take our order. I waited for 10 minutes for my first glass of wine and at least 15 minutes for the second one. We almost walked out at the end of the meal, as she was nowhere to be seen to take our dessert order and the same for providing us with the check. When leaving, we waited for more than 10 minutes for the hostess to return our coats. There was no one other patrons in the dining room, thus it was not busy at that time. We went into the coat check area, took our coats and left.
In short, the service ruined a very delicious meal. The lobster bisque was excellent (it is very rich, so a cup is plenty!), very good calamari and the prime rib was fantastic. We just could not get past the horrible attitude of the staff. I don't believe that I have every experienced such insouciance and rudeness from restaurant staff. I doubt that we will return to the Ward House. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in that area which want our business and treat us accordingly.

• Visited January 2013