“Noisy Motorcycles” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Florida
“Noisy Motorcycles”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here and my room faced Michigan Street. It is loud day and night from the motorcycles that go up and down. Also, front of hotel is there and you can sometimes hear that noise. I could hear it pretty loudly, and had an almost impossible night sleeping. Not sure if the other side is better, but if you stay here maybe try that. No breakfast included but a nice place downstairs. Downtown Milwaukee wasn't very nice and the shops located next doors are mostly empty and sad looking. Housekeeping did not come on the morning after my first night there but it was okay. Did not hear any noise between rooms. Some in the hallway when inconsiderate people have to yell at one another when walking down the hall to their rooms late at night, but that's everywhere.

Room Tip: Do not get one that faces Michigan Street unless you like the sound of motorcycles.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, today
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am very sorry about the noise from the street. We do have a little extra noise being in a downtown location. Milwaukee does have a lot to offer from attractions, sporting events, theaters/performances. With better weather on the horizon, Milwaukee offers a lot to do. Hopefully, you can come back and join us again for any of the many festivals.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We were in town for my nephew's wedding. So we're three other wedding parties. The hotel was very busy and the staff was stressed out. They were even too busy to service our room. The on site restaurant left a lot to be desired. And when you are driving there you can't see any signage until you drive by. The room was clean and the location good for shopping and dining elsewhere. Not sure I would return.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
I want to thank you for your comments based upon your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that your room was not serviced during your stay. I will follow up with our Housekeeping Supervisor to figure out why something like this happened. I am glad to hear the room was clean and location of the hotel is good. We do hope you will give us another opportunity if in Milwaukee.
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

As a Marriott Platinum 'member', I'm very familiar with this family of offerings. This Courtyard goes done as the worst managed hotel I have stayed at over the past 5 years. Too bad. Nice location.
* Difficulty checking in, though my wife was on the reservation (they said she wasn't)
* No internet in 'upgraded' room -- we were told it was a problem with our computers (though it worked in the hallway, 2 doors down)
* Wouldn't change rooms ("It will be fixed tomorrow, guaranteed.")
* Never called to acknowledge that there actually is no internet in that room.
* Employee who was 'mis-informed' never acknowledged it, even with 3 additional interactions; and blamed my wife for the problem.
* I don't understand the excuse "The staff is new, there has been a big turnover."

* AND calling down 15 minutes ahead of time for car, then finding car waiting . . . but no keys (because valet is gone) for another 15 minutes.

They clearly do not have processes for managing simple, everyday issues.
GM tried to placate, but only by eMail. He never called me to discuss, as requested.

I will NEVER stay there again, even though (from physical appearances) it is a typical Courtyard.

Room Tip: Stay away from upper numbers (above 30), especially on higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
I am very sorry about the experience you had at our hotel. I am very sorry that the check in process was difficult. I did locate her information and could see that her name was attached when originally booked. I will certainly work through this with my team. I am sorry that I missed you over the weekend. I was in touch with my Manager Jen to ensure she could assist you. I am sorry we did not meet your expecations.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Pleasant hotel in downtown Milwaukee, convenient to everything on both sides of river. Neighborhood a tad seedy by Milwaukee standards, but not when compared to most any other urban setting. Hotel was clean, pool, small but well maintained, nice Starbucks in lobby. Plenty of work/socializing areas in multi-purpose lobby spaces. Employees set this hotel apart from so many others. To a person, from management to housekeeping , staff was warm, personable and acting as if they wanted guests' stays to be really easy, pleasant and memorable. What a difference good training and hiring makes.

Room Tip: Avoid connecting rooms if you don't them...thin walls.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel new lobby concept and the service provided. I will share your comments with my team to let them know. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you with us again when you are back in Milwaukee!! Lots of Summer events!!
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015

I’ve stayed here a couple of times over the years and it seems to be improving. Certainly nothing to get excited about, but it is clean, well located, fast internet, hot showers that work, and quiet rooms – which is really all you need. One little peeve is the lack of attentiveness from the café staff. This seems to be an issue across service jobs in the US. Unless you are working in a high end restaurant with copious tips coming your way there seems to be a tendency to wear your complete indifference to the customer on your sleeve. Bored staff, who were hiding in the kitchen for ten minutes until I asked someone in reception if the café was open, and then when they appeared just really couldn’t care less (I felt I should apologise for interrupting their evening!).

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 27, 2015
Thank you for your response regarding your stay. I am glad to hear we have been improving until you mentioned the Bistro. I am very sorry about the lack of service provided from the Restaurant. I will review with the Manager and staff. This is stressed to ensure we always have a staff member available and waiting for our next guest. Please accept my apology. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you will consider us again on your next trip to Milwaukee.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2015

I am not sure what's going on with Courtyards but they all seem to have nicely refurbished lobbies and hangout areas, but the rooms continue to be a bit outdated. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a balcony room overlooking Michigan St but there were no chairs on the deck so we could only stand there and stare at the park. The room was pretty big but remarkably empty, with a tired microwave oven and mini-fridge, as well as a small flatscreen TV. Bathroom was shower-only.

Note that there is not much to do in the immediate vicinity at night, although the hotel is conveniently attached to a decent mall. The only dining outside the hotel that was available at night is an Applebees in the mall and for us it was a simply horrifying experience, with awful food and worse service.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 24, 2015
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the lobby. We completed a rooms renovation about 1 year ago. I am sorry that room did not offer you what you were looking for. I am sorry that you were not informed about the many restaurants and bars within close proximity to our hotel. We should have done a better job of informing you of all the opportunities. Milwaukee has many great restaurants and bars!! Maybe the next time you will be able to experience them.
Wausau, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015

My husband and I stayed here one night, thought the room seemed clean, but when using the shower, we found a used washcloth and bar of soap on the ledge. Clearly housekeeping didn't bother to look in or clean the shower. We told the front desk on checkout, and the lady seemed genuinely concerned, told us she would have someone contact us regarding our finding, but no one did. The rest of my stay doesn't seem important enough to mention when something as big as the shower obviously wasn't even looked at by the staff and hotel management doesn't think it's important enough to contact us. Good thing I bring antibacterial wipes to do my own cleaning of the room. I make frequent trips to Milwaukee, and right now none of them will be spent at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room on the end that shares a wall with the parking ramp
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2015
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I am sorry to tell you that I was not informed about this happening and I completely apologize for this. This certainly is not acceptable and will discuss this with my leadership team to improve in housekeeping as well as communication at the front desk when something like this is brought to my staffs attention. Please contact me at cy.mkedt.gm@marriott.com so I can get more information to help my team.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!