“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Public Market Package
Ranked #31 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I'm beginning to feel like all I do is rate Marriott properties, but we are Marriott reward members so we pretty much stay exclusively at Marriott properties. This hotel was quite pleasant with a good location. Very easy to walk to downtown restaurants and a small shopping mall attached to the property. This was very convenient because we didn't have a car. The staff was very helpful with directions and great in recommending places downtown to eat. The food area in the hotel was small, but quite efficient and offered a very nice assortment of breakfast and sandwich type items. That space then served as a bar in the evening offering beer, wine and full bar services. That was a nice surprise. My only complaint was that we couldn't get the wifi to work on our iPhones or iPads in our room. Even though our equipment showed we were connected to the wifi the only place we could receive or send mail was from the lobby area. That was very annoying. Other than that, this hotel was very comfortable and offered a very pleasant stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel on your recent stay with us. I am glad you like the hotels services and our location to many activities in Milwaukee. I am sorry about the wifi. If you were connected to the wifi in the lobby and you were in your room, you were probably too far away to receive a strong signal. In order to receive internet from the Guest rooms we have a Guest Rooms wifi that you would need to sign up as well to ensure proper strength of signal. Thank you again for your comments and I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Milwaukee.

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Two Rivers, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here the 4 nights of the H-D 110th Celebration and the hotel staff was exceptional. We ordered food from the Bistro many times and the food and service was great. The pool and hot tub were very relaxing each night after riding the bike all day.The beds and pillows were very comfortable with the only drawbacks being the thermostat would only go down to 65 degrees F and wouldn't kick in till around 75 degrees F so that made it a little uncomfortable a couple of the nights and the bathroom and sink area is pretty small. The other drawback was the parking garage was two city blocks down the road so that made my girlfriend feel a little leary on our walks back to the hotel each late night.

Room Tip: ask for a room that over looks Michigan Avenue otherwise there is no view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay during the 110th Harley Davidson Event. I am glad you enjoyed the Bistro and the pool/whirlpool. I am very sorry about the thermostat. We do have some settings to not allow it out of a range, but it is pretty wide. I agree the parking was a little challenging, bu having the bikes underground to me seemed like the best offer from a safety standpoint. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Milwaukee and hope to have you back again on your next ride.
Seneca, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Really nice rooms ... Enjoyed the cafe and the casual atmosphere of the lobby for a Starbuck's and breakfast sandwich or some really good oatmeal! Staff were exceptionql from the valet parking guys thru the desk staff. Better than average equipment in the fitness center!

Room Tip: This hotel is walking distance to "the 3rd Ward" ... Highly recommend "Cafe Benelux&q...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your room, the cafe, lobby and Starbucks. I will share your comments with my staff and valet company. I am glad they provided exceptional service. Thank you for your comments and look forward to having you back again soon.
Boulder
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We traveled to Milwaukee to celebrate my son's second birthday with family in the area. We got a suite to help with naps and bedtimes and were astounded at the size of the suite! There was a separate room with the bed/bath and then a very large sitting area complete with a countertop/bar area and table for four. Wow! The furnishings were nice for a hotel and even added extra seating, as the hassocks doubled as chairs.

The staff were very polite and helpful each day with plans, highchair needs, food requests, etc.

We intentionally selected this hotel for its location (downtown) and the swimming pool. The farmer's market that set up right across the street was amazing and the ability to walk to dinner was also a plus. The swimming pool area was very hot (due to the whirlpool), but the pool itself was a bit on the chilly side. We would have swam for longer but were getting chilled.

My only complaint is that we didn't get the room made up once during our stay. Granted we were in the room by mid-afternoon for nap time, but even on the day I specifically asked if the room could be made up by lunchtime, they still arrived by mid-afternoon nap and it couldn't be done. That was unfortunate, as we had the birthday celebration for my son in our suite.

Nonetheless, we were quite pleased with the space.

Room Tip: The King suite is a spectacularly large room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the size of the suite and it worked for your family especially for naps. I am sorry we were not able to work around your schedule to have your room serviced even after you informed us of a time. I will review this with our housekeeping staff. Please accept my apology. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Milwaukee and hope you come back to visit us again.
Magnolia, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just spent four nights at this property. Great location and staff was friendly (for the most part). However, the beds are atrocious. Seriously soft and a hump in the middle??? Noticed my coffee cup had chips on the handle. Used it, and realized the next day the EXACT same cup had been placed for use the next day. That freaked me out a little. It was quiet, which was nice. But that's about the extent of the positives on the rooms. Lighting is poor (especially for trying to do makeup in the morning). Views... well, mine was non-existent (unless you consider looking over a roof and a garage a view. Key didn't work 3x on my last day. If the towels were any thinner you could see through them.

Room Tip: Couldn't tell ya... b/c I didn't have one!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I want to thank you for your comments during your visit. I would like to find out what room you stayed, if you have a chance to contact me at 414-291-4122 or cy.mkedt.gm@marriott.com, so I can inspect the room to make sure the housekeeping issues and bed is corrected. We are in the process of upgrading all linen and apparently your particular room had not been replaced. This should be completed shortly in all rooms. I know with some of the new technology we can have some key issues, but possible when remaking keys we were cancelling out the original keys. I will review with the team to make sure we are handling this properly. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you.
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Probably our worst Courtyard experience e-vuh. Maybe we got an un-refreshed room but it reeked of cigarette smoke (yeah, yeah, I know that it's a smoke-free hotel), meh furnishings, the TV didn't get the local stations (despite one feeble effort by the staff to fix it) and ... overall ... just an uninspired place. Four nights in Milwaukee for a family member in the US triathlon championships (4,500 competitors) and, yes, the hotel was filled with triathletes and their families. Early morning events on Saturday and Sunday, so there were lots of people were up at 6-7 a.m. So you think that maybe the staff would have some coffee available or open up the cafe before 7? Uh, no and no. Well, the championships will be in town again in 2014 and let's just say that from talking to other guests that this Courtyard will be the last resort for anyone who was there this weekend.

And, one other thing. Do you like to conserve water? Well this isn't the place for you. Or at least the 5th floor isn't. We needed to run the hot water faucet in the sink (and shower) for at least 3 minutes before the water was, you know, hot! We timed it once -- 3 minutes, 42 seconds. What a waste. Or maybe this Courtyard is a cold water kid of place. Whatever ...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I am very sorry to hear of this after you have checked out of the hotel. I was not informed we had any hot water issues or time taken as long as you mentioned. I certainly agree with you wasting water is not good. I will have our system checked to get this improved. We had breakfast available for the Athletes beginning at 4am which was requested in the Meeting Room area, which included coffee. We did have a couple of TV's that apparently lost channels and we replaced them this week. I would like to get connected with you to apologize and make sure I have all the things mentioned addressed with my team. You can contact me at cy.mkedt.gm@marriott.com. Thank you in advance for your time.
Topeka, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We came to Milwaukee for my cousin's wedding. Loved the location as downtown Milwaukee is a great place to stay. Great restaurants within walking distance, We loved Mo's Irish Pub. The rooms were clean and the beds were super comfortable. We went Green so did not utilize the maid service. The front desk staff met every need. Valet parking was only $2.00 more than self parking and totally worth it.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th and top floor so did not have any noise from above. The gulls off of Lake Michig...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent visit with us. I am glad you liked the rooms, bedding, staff service. I will certainly share your comments with my team. We hope you will visit us again on your next visit.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!