“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Public Market Package
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed one night at this property to visit the Harley Davidson Factory. Rooms were ok, Clean and good for one night. Disappointed that the hotel does not accommodate motorcycles as the other hotels do around the factory. They wanted to charge $20+ for us to park the MC down the road. Staff was not the upbeat typical staff at a Marriott. Service for breakfast was VERY slow.

Room Tip: Better to be high up and back of hotel as street noise is loud
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I am glad you liked our location. I appreciate your comments regarding your stay. I am shocked you were informed you would have to pay $20 for MC parking. Our Parking Company offers discounted parking for $6. I am very sorry about the staff not being the expected Marriott Staff. I will certainly review this with my front desk as well as the Restaurant Staff. Thank you again for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Evergreen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Courtyards are my go-to hotel brand and this one does not disappoint. Staff was very helpful and location was close to shopping and restaurants. One minor ding was the parking situation where I had to pay $20 to park.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your loyalty to Courtyard. I am glad you find out location great for shopping and restaurants. Regarding parking, there are a few options. Self parking is $15, Valet is $18 for weekend and $20 weekday. There are some surface lots that charge $7-12 within a few blocks of the hotel.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have stayed at this Courtyard several times when we have wanted to be close to events in the heart of the city. Our room has been a good one. They have a small restaurant in the hotel the hotel has a walk way to a shopping area with a food court.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad you find out location great to get to your events. Please join us again soon.
Prospect Heights,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at The Courtyard last weekend, like I have done 4 or 5 other times. The location is ideal being right in the center of downtown. You are in walking distance to several restaurants, bars, and The Bradley Center where I went to watch a basketball game. The property is connected to a mall wth shops and restaurants, and is also connected to a parking garage. I enjoy going to the casino, and it is only about 2 miles away. The immenities are good and the staff is very courteous. Last, the Courtyard is directly off of Interstate I-94 which makes it extremely easy to access when I come and go from Chicago.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying up on the 5th or 6th floor to avoid any possible noise that can occur below...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I want to thank you for your review. It sounds like you had an awesome weekend in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center and visiting the Casino. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and again, thank you for your comments. See you again soon.
Greenville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I stayed here over the weekend and had a pleasant experience. The room was very clean and comfortable. We had a room with king bed and pull out which was perfect for our family of four. Great location downtown close to everything and with a connection to the Grand Avenue Mall. It was a very cold day and was grateful for the valet parking offered at the hotel (self parking $15/ valet $18). The lobby is a nice place to hang out in with computers to use and booths with t.v.'s that I used when the rest of the family was asleep.Probably the one thing that kept this hotel from being great was a free continental breakfast. They have a very nice looking bistro that offers drinks, sandwiches and salads but we didn't try it. Also a small marketplace with snacks, drinks, and other good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay this past weekend. I am glad you found the rooms clean and you were able to enjoy the new lobby while the family was sleeping. Thank you again, and we hope to have you back again in the future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel stay was very nice, however I booked the hotel stay on Priceline. I made a mistake and booked the wrong location in Milwaukee and booked another immediately after. Within 5 minutes I booked the correct location and Priceline would not return my money on the other hotel. The GM from the Courtyard Downtown called me out of the blue and made it right. It was not even the hotels fault and he stepped up and made it right. You have earned a long term customer in me, thanks to Tony at Courtyard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CYDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for the nice note. I certainly appreciate your comments. I am glad that I was able to make this reservation situation with priceline right with you. I am glad I have earned your business in the future and hope to see you soon.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on two consecutive weeks. I am in Milwaukee weekly for work and my usual place was booked up so I decided to give the Courtyard a try because it is convenient to my place of employment (walking distance).

On both occasions I requested a king room and was given a room on the fifth floor.

My first stay I was assigned a room on the back side of the hotel. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the distinct smell of cigarette smoke. This was confirmed by burn marks in the carpet and when I flipped the coffee mug to take a drink, discovered that the cleaning crew hadn't even bothered to wipe all the ashes out of the cup they clearly had been using as an ash tray.

I sat down and tried to use the complimentary Internet access. I was able to associate with the wireless network, but all three devices I had (Windows laptop, iPhone, iPad) were unable to surf because of what appeared to be a broken captured portal that would redirect all sites to the Marriott page regardless of how often you tried.

Next I took a shower. I was horrified to find a dirty wash cloth hanging from the curtain rod, and the filthy room experience was completed with a bathroom interior that was filled with peeling paint, stains, and bubbling drywall/plaster. Only after my next stay did I realize that the reason this room was so awful in appearance is because other rooms had wall papering, but for some reason this room had been removed and a poor plaster and paint job had been thrown up.

The next morning I was awoken by the sound of delivery trucks at 6:00a. The back side of the hotel faces the loading docks of the downtown mall. From about then until I packed and left, I was subjected to a constant stream of idling diesel motors, backup beepers, slamming doors, and clattering pallet trucks.

Angry and frustrated, I checked out a day early and cut my trip short.

The following week my usual hotel was once again full. I decided that the issues I had with the Courtyard might have been isolated to the room or just bad luck, so I opted to give it a second chance given that it was so close to where I work.

I was given a room on the same floor as the previous week but on the opposite side of the hotel. The view was nicer and I did not have as many issues with noise. However, there was still a distinct odor in both the hallway and the room. The room smelled like scented candle soot. The room appeared otherwise clean except for being left with two rolls of toilet paper that were both nearly empty.

I attempted to log on to the internet and had the same problems I did the previous week.

In the morning, fuming with the poor maintenance, I once again decided to leave early and find other accommodations.

This is NOT the worst place I have stayed at. However, at nearly $195 per night for the room and taxes, $15/night parking, no working Internet, and no complementary breakfast, it is probably the worse value of any hotel I've stayed at. Frankly, for the rate, I expect a lot better and shouldn't have to ask to have a clean, quiet, comfortable room. There are budget hotels in the area that are on par with this hotel for quality and cleanliness for $59/night.

I cannot recommend this property and will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry we did not meet your expecations during your 2 stays with us. I can answer your internet question by saying you missed a step by agreeing to the terms from our internet provider. That is why you could not access the internet. I wish this was brought to our attention so we could have addressed these issues during your stay. I hate to hear about situations like this after you have stayed with us. I apologize for 2 not so pleasant stays with us and certainly would like to discuss these with you. Please contact me at the hotel.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!