“Who doesn't enjoy the smell of chemical cleaner???” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #33 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Oakdale, New York, United States
“Who doesn't enjoy the smell of chemical cleaner???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Let me start off by saying the hotel did offer to comp my stay because of the issue I had. However being this was a business trip that doesn’t benefit me at all since my company pays for my expenses and I’d lose my hotel points. So in the end I’d lose out even more. They did give me a gift card to a local place to eat..too bad I don’t eat in places like that. So I can’t fault them for not trying.

Having read the other Tripadvisor reviews before having my Travel Dept book this hotel I’m really questioning one…do people really know what a decent hotel is? Or two who really wrote these reviews? I’ve been Hilton Honors Silver, Gold and Diamond status member for many years so I do feel I know what to expect by the Hilton brand and generally the Hilton family of hotels does a great job…not here though.

I generally stay at another hotel in the area but had to stay here due to the other hotel being sold out, I’ll never stay here again. The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere in a questionable area…however if your into strip joints there’s one right across the street for you. Hampton Inn’s pride themselves on being clean…well this one was so clean my room smelled like a chemical factory just exploded! Instead of PJ’s I should have brought a chemical hazmat suit to wear to bed. The stench of cleaning product was beyond acceptable. I can only assume this at one time was a smoking room and they are trying to mask the old smell of smoke. Well if you’re changing over to a nonsmoking hotel I suggest the hotel redo those rooms.

The quality of the room is standard 5 year old plus Hampton Inn style…you can tell this hotel hasn’t been remolded in some time. Having just stayed at a new Hampton Inn only a week ago the differences were HUGE. The bathroom was “ok”, the shower area really appeared old and worn and the bathroom door needed replacing as did the sagging shower rod which prevented me from closing the shower curtain resulting in the floor flooding. The bed was fine, standard comfy Hampton Inn quality, which was the only thing that made this stay somewhat acceptable, even though sleeping wasn’t easy inhaling cleaning fumes.

I didn’t bother using any of the other services the hotel offered, the less time spent inside this hotel the better. I felt bad for the staff as they seemed to really care for their guests but were embarrassed by the condition of the hotel.

Overall I would NOT stay at this hotel again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The chemical odor cannot be safe to inhale. The hotel needs updating to be on par with other Hampton Inn’s, this one certainly isn’t setting the standard for their chain.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and just stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kerri H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Milwaukee Northwest, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel so thoroughly. I apologize that you were not impressed by our guest rooms. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations on all levels, therefore it is disappointing to learn that we did not do that for you. I would love to speak to you about your experience further . Please don't hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel. Thank you again for your time

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here one night for work - found the staff incredibly friendly and helpful - both at check in and check out. They had warm cookies the evening we checked in as well as basic refreshments for an indefinite period. The rooms were obviously renovated - bathroom has a marble countertop and flat screen television. Full breakfast as is typical at Hampton Inns. Only 4 floors in hotel, and requested room on the 4th floor so I can't comment on above-head noise, but you could certainly hear the water in neighboring guest rooms as they showered in the morning, so be prepared for that. Also, the noise on both sides of the hotel is a bit loud - one side faces Lovers Lane Road and the other a local freeway - so there's apparently no escaping that noise as my traveling companion was on the opposite side of the building and had the same problem as me. The room A/Cs are the older wall units, and they seem to have a little difficulty keeping the room cool, although we were there when it was unusually hot and humid.

Would likely stay here again if in town for business because of the friendly staff, but the location is not great. It is a 15 minute drive down to the waterfront where all of the better restaurants are located. The surrounding neighborhood is not the greatest - block-to-block it can be sketchy. It is right across the road from Milwaukee Harley Davidson for any motorcycle enthusiasts!

Room Tip: Difficult to say because both sides face the noisy road - although the rooms facing Lovers Lane seem...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Oconto, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Northwest this past week and we could not have been more pleased with our stay. When I say the staff is friendly, it is a gross understatement. I wish I would have got their names, as they deserve a shout out, at the very least. The gal who runs the breakfast during the week is phenomenal. She is truly amazing. The two gentlemen who work the desk and (I think) maintenance overnight were awesome and our housekeeper (Chris) actually stopped to ask us how our room was and even left a Thank You card for the tip we left. We have stayed at many hotels, with our children and have left many tips for the housekeepers (I mean, c'mon, whatever they are getting paid is not nearly enough to clean up after other people's children all day) and this is the first time that we saw a thank you card.

The room was extremely clean, and it looked as updated as the last two Hampton's that we have stayed in this year. The breakfast was hot, and well-stocked and is great if you are traveling with children.

I was worried about this hotel after reading the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. The only complaint I have about this trip was the traffic. Gosh, I don't know how you locals deal with it. :-)

We will definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I've stayed at plenty of Hampton Inn's before and this hotel provided the service I've come to expect of this brand. Arrived at 7:30 pm and front desk were warm and welcoming. Room is pretty standard, but plenty of space. I read others' reviews that the rooms look aged. I have to disagree because most of the furniture is modern. There are no granite counter tops, by any means, but it's not 70's furniture.

As always, there is complimentary breakfast: oatmeal, three choices of warm food, yogurts, assorted fruits. I liked the lobby area for all its seating availability; quite comfortable.

Not much by the way of restaurants around the area, though. There's a diner that's a minute-walk away. Other than that, it's mostly fast food.

I have to agree with other travelers: if you're a leisure traveler, this isn't the best place to stay just because there isn't much around. If you're a business traveler, it's a place to get a good night's rest and enjoy the services Hampton Inn offers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HamptonNorthwest, General Manager at Hampton Inn Milwaukee Northwest, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
I wanted to give a very big Thank You! It is very nice to hear how our staff can make any trip great! I look forward to welcoming you back to Milwaukee!
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Nice business hotel, friendly staff, good restaurant, and modern rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was with this hotel. Yuck, yuck, and yuck. The pictures online are completely deceiving! I was traveling here on business, and had I arrived earlier than 9:30pm, I honestly would have checked out and gone elsewhere. The rooms were horribly outdated...In fact, it looked as if they bought a low quality hotel, like a Clarion Inn that was last updated in approximately 1987, threw some new duvets on the beds and stuck their name on the outside of the building. It had an awful smoky/mildewy smell. This did not hold up to Hampton Inn's image at all! Excuse me while I go shower in my own home, since I felt dirtier after having to put my feet in the bathtub there. Gross. In no way would I ever recommend this hotel...Unless of course, you were planning on taking advantage of Silk Gentleman's Club. As I pulled onto Lovers Lane Rd (no joke) and saw the strip club, that should have been my first hint that this was not your typical Hampton.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HamptonNorthwest, General Manager at Hampton Inn Milwaukee Northwest, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I assure you that the pictures on the site are accurate and up to date. You are correct we are an older Hampton Inn. We have always been a Hampton Inn, and are in the process of a remodel. We look forward to many new upgrades for the rooms and public areas. Please feel free to contact me directly and we can discuss your stay. 414-466-8881

Kerri Huelsbeck
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I love the brand of bed the hotel utilizes. I go to sleep comfortable and wake up refreshed.

Room Tip: King size bed, none smoking
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Milwaukee Northwest? Share your experiences!