“Better than expected - Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Book now and save 20%
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Green Bay, WI
“Better than expected - Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed here for one night on New Years. I was a little concerned after I read a few reviews about this hotel. However, I receieved a great rate off Priceline, so I wasn't expecting much. The check-in did take a while, but what do you expected on New Years Eve. The process for us took about twenty minutes. That was our only negative about it.

Our room was clean. The staff was curtious (the maid even wished us a Happy New Year as we were leaving). The location is the best in Milwaukee. It is RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of everything. The hotel even offered a free shuttle on New Year's to local bars. We enjoyed our stay!! It may not be the perfect 4-star hotel, but for 2 star price, we got more that what we paid for.

One major piece of advice to future travelers here. Park across the street - you will pay half of what the Hilton charges. Save that money and grab a coffee in the morning from Starbucks!!

• Liked — The Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Oshkosh, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My fiance and I went to a concert in Milwaukee on New Years Eve with some friends. We stayed in one room and they stayed in the other. First of all we had to wait over 30 minutes in line just to check in. There were two weddings going on and there were people everywhere! Not very organized. Once we got to the check in counter the attendant took another 10 minutes to check us in. We got to out rooms and the first thing we did was go and get ice, the only ice machine on our floor was out of order so we had to go to a completely different floor just to get ice.

In the room, the bathroom was tiny, there was chipping paint everywhere. Peeling wall paper, there was finish from the wood part of the sink all over the wall paper in the bathroom. Tiny TV, they charge $4 for one bottle of water, and $24 to park.... thats per day!!!! The curtains on the windows were paper thin and the light shone right through. Our friends who were staying next door had double the size of room we did for the same price?!? The hallways were old and smelled musty. They need to gut all the rooms anddo a total update.

The hotel does have a Starbucks in the lower lobby so that is a perk. Otherwise everything is so expensive and over priced for how old the rooms are.

• Liked — There is a Starbucks in the building, good location to nightlife, shopping, enterainment, and easy access to highway.
  • Disliked — Old, dirty, needs tons of updates, had to wait 40 minutes to check in.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oshkosh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Rooms are tiny, bathroom is even smaller! Too much clutter - so many printed pamphlets, leaflets, binders, magazines, all over the room - it's junk - save the trees and spare the clutter. The walls are paper thin - my neighbor snored all night long and I could hear it loud and clear as if we were in the same room! Lighting was an issue for me - there was no lighting in the hallway where the closet is (closet is across from the bathroom) - exterior bathroom door has a full-length mirror but I couldn't see how I looked since there was no light in the hallway! I got a King bed room on the 21st floor. Cleanliness wasn't an issue. Tried calling the front desk - was on hold for almost 10 minutes before someone picked up the phone. I can't be too harsh though - the hotel has a lot of amenities, however, this hotel will nickel and dime you for everything - parking is extra $25, Internet access, $4 for in room bottled water. I got this room through priceline at $50/night. When you book a room through a 3rd party, you do not get to receive Hilton Honor Points.

• Liked — Close to restaurants, shopping, businesses, convention center
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls - hearing EVERYTHING your neighbors are doing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

This hotel was completely disgusting. The rooms are old and in desperate need of updating. We arrived in the first room we were given, I pulled back the bedspread to give my daughter a nap and it looked like the sheets were rumpled. Upon further inspection I found several pubic hairs in the sheets! It was completely disgusting. We called housekeeping and they offered to clean our room (how nice of them considering they didn't do it the first time!). We requested an upgrade to a larger room. We were given the upgrade, but it was still an old, gross room. The carpet was nasty and the closet smelled musty. We will never stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The hotel was awful. We didn't like anything.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

I stayed here 10/15-10/16

Good:

*I found the housekeeping staff to be very friendly. They were always courteous and said hello and asked me how my day was going.

* Room was very clean

* For an older hotel, I found the rooms to be well-appointed and clean. The beds were VERY comfortable!!!

* Close to shopping...right across the parking lot is a decent mall.

*Starbucks, a sports bar, a couple of restaurants are in the hotel and convenient.

* Fitness room had several televisions and a small weight area and a few cardio machines. The machines were pretty old, but did the trick.

*Hotel has wireless, which is nice--but costs $9.90 per day.

Not so good:

* Parking is $24 per night. You can park across the street in another parking lot for $12.00 per night.

* Check in Customer-Service: Checked in late after a long day and was assigned a room with a double bed. I had hoped for a King size bed but was told they were all occupied. The person who checked me in lacked some customer-service skills and was very abrupt and not very friendly at all.

* The walls around my room were very thin and I could hear my neighbors conversations. While my neighbors were not being particularly obnoxious, they kept different hours than I did. I asked for a change in room at 11:45 pm, but the front desk instead sent security to patrol the area. I felt bad, but at least they attempted to help the problem. In less than 5 minutes a security officer was at the door and I was able to get a few hours of sleep.

* The water is loud and you can hear rooms around/above you flush their toilets and take showers

* Unfortunately, I don't believe it was worth the $159 per night I paid and was pretty disappointed.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I won't get long winded, I'll summarize. The rooms are remarkably small, too small for a modern hotel, we almost checked out as soon as we saw the room, never stayed in a room this small.....ever. They are not elegantly appointed, you can get the same thing or better at a Holiday Inn. The hotel smelled like rotten cabbage....I read the other review about it smelling like pickles and I'll agree it's a cross between that and cabbage. $24/ night to park your car in the parking garage....outrageous. We've stayed at other facilities in Milwaukee and not paid at all or much more reasonably. The restauarant is VERY pricey for breakfast and everything else for that matter. The only thing they have going for them is that the Milwaukee Chop House is located in the lobby of this hotel and the food there is fabulous and priced appropriately for fine food.

Bottom line: Don't waste your money, there are good hotels in Milwaukee.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — The room size
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights at this hotel with a large group of friends. We were a bit apprehensive, based on the reviews we had read here.

I decided to break down my review into three parts:

The Good:
1. The hotel was in a great location, within easy walking distance from lots of great attractions as well as the Historic 3rd Ward.
2. Our room was absolutely huge, but we were definitely in the minority on room size. Most of our traveling companions reported small-to-tiny rooms. If you want a huge room, ask for 1201 or 1230. There is a downside to the room size though, so look for that under "The Bad."
3. Breakfast in the Hilton Honors lounge was spectacular and the service was unparalleled.
4. The onsite Starbucks kept me running - love having that amenity.
5. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was impeccably prepared (we don't "do" buffets, so we ordered off the menu) and tasted wonderful. There is, however, a downside to the breakfast (under "The Bad," below).
6. The linens on the bed were nice & the bed was comfortable enough except for:

The Bad:
1. Although our room was huge, we had two double beds - not queen-size, which would have been acceptable.
2. Picky people (like me) will notice the details: hair on the bathroom floor when we got there, so it obviously wasn't ours, bathtub finish was peeling, wallpaper was bubbling & peeling in places.
3. Commercial-grade toilets in the bathroom - VERY loud flush with the commercial valve.
4. No exhaust vent in the bathroom.
5. The breakfast in the hotel was delicious, but pricey. The entrees we ordered were $9 and $10, which we figure is reasonable, but a cup of coffee was $3.25. Should have gone to Starbucks for coffee! Cheaper and better!
6. Rowdy guests - and it wasn't our bunch. This hotel seems to be one of "the" places for wedding receptions. The noise level is incredibly off-the-charts loud.

The Indifferent:
1. Art Deco styling in the public areas; OK but not spectacular.
2. Reception desk staff seemed helpful but didn't go to the "next level."

• Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!