“Noisy but Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, IL
“Noisy but Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We only stayed for 1 night, but liked the hotel overall. The king room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. Also, the people at the front desk were nice, and room service prompt and food good. However, our room (661) was apparently located over, next to or near some type of machinery as we were subjected to a near constant & relatively loud mechanical humming all night. A couple other oddities: the mini bar was completely empty and the bathroom did not have a hair dryer, which I thought was a bit odd for a hotel of this caliber.

Nonetheless, we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Milwaukee is a post-industrial town going through a lot of changes...downsizing on a huge scale. The Hilton reflects that history; it is a very good hotel that would never get built today. I enjoyed the hotel and enjoyed learning about the city. Well worth the trip !

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Johnstown, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We arrived after an 11 hour drive. Needless to say, we were ready to crash. The Staff had us, our many bags and our car situated in less than 15 minutes. The breakfast buffet was worth every cent. One of the best hotel stays I have ever had, the beds are so comfy!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hi Susan,

Wow! 11 hours, that's quite the drive. Glad that we were able to get you and your friends checked in and set up in only 15 minutes so you were rested and ready to enjoy all that Bead & Button had to offer this year!

Also happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and the beds! We'll see you next year!

Dustin
Pasadena, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Great place to work out of. All connections, plugs, outlets and wi-fi were working! The cafe restaurant is good and many local places to visit. I recommend the miller brewery tour while staying there. Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Hilton in downtown is one of two hotels connected by a skywalk to the convention center. I've stayed at the Hyatt several times, and have always liked it. Hyatt was sold out for my last trip, so I decided to try the Hilton.

The Hilton feels like a fancy old school hotel, all rich wood paneling, brass fixtures, over-stuffed seating in the lobby. It feels posh, and while it is not in poor condition, definitely feels like what you'd imagine a country club's lounge would look like.

It definitely has a different feel from the Hyatt, with has a much more modern style -- an open atrium at it's center and contemporary style of furniture and decor. It is also more conducive to sitting in groups in lobby and bar, in contrast to the Hilton.

The room was excellent at the Hilton - very lovely linens, and a soft, but not too soft, mattress. The only small issues that I had were that I had spilled coffee on the sheets in one area, and I had pulled the blanket back so that housekeeping would see it and change out the sheet. I was disappointed that they did not change the sheet, but certainly this wasn't a terrible situation. Now, if I'd found that, and it wasn't *my* coffee, that would have been a problem.

The walls seemed thin, I could hear my neighbors laughing and talking late at night, which awakened me.

The only other thing was that the bathroom was very small -- the door to the bathroom could not open all the way because it hit the curved shower rod. The curved rod had been installed to enlarge the size of the shower, but created the problem with the door opening. It was easiest to do you bathroom activities with the door shut, which felt sort of silly since I was in the room by myself. Again, a tiny issue.

Finally, and this is the one thing that would make me choose the Hyatt over the Hilton, is the distance to the convention center from the Hilton. It is quite a hike over the sky bridge to the convention center from the Hilton. While there is a significant walk from the Hyatt to the Convention Center, it is much shorter than the walk from the Hilton.

One more plus: Starbuck's downstairs at the Hilton!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed four nights in this really poor excuse for a hotel. The building is old and has beautiful old time elegance in the lobby and conference areas. The people we dealt with were friendly and for the most part helpful and then... We opened the door to our room and it was the smallest room I've ever seen in a hotel! The "view" was roofing tar and little else (some sky could be seen by looking up). The bed was comfortable. When I, or any one else in the general vicinity of our room, took a shower it sounded like jet aircraft were landing in the room. As to cleanliness, we found out by making a small mark on the bottom of the glasses that our used glasses were getting a "fresh" paper top put back on top instead of being replaced with clean glasses! We decided to mark the "fresh" tops and found that they had been retrieved from the trash!!!
My husband and I were taking an intense three day workshop and were exhausted each night. Our only request at the hotel had been for a quiet room. It was ok on Wednesday and Thursday, but on Friday and Saturday our room was shaking from the parties being held two floors below us! When I called at midnight to complain, the operator, she refused to put me through to the main desk, offered to send up earplugs! I said, "No thanks, it won't stop the room from vibrating with the bass." On check out, the girl at the desk apologized and took of our parking charge for our trouble. I was too tired to fight about it, but was extremely unhappy. It was way overpriced and, in my book, a total gyp! Beware!!!

• Stayed June 2014
David W, Director- Room Operations at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Hello Barb357,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were anything but pleased. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. The challenges you encountered with your room cleanliness are not the standards set forth and have been addressed within the department. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
David Woodward
Director of Rooms
Elmhurst, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center 6/6/14. We were in town for a trade show located right across the street from the Hilton. We've stayed several times before for this show and always find it to be very nice. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful and the room is quite lovely. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel with a location convenient to downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!