“Coming along” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wisconsin, United States
“Coming along”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I decided to write a review after reading many of them on here. I have stayed at this hotel MANY times over the last few years. The hotel service has gotten better.
They have a new lounge/bar on the second floor which is very nice. Service staff was quick and attentive.
Couple things about the rooms, because it is an older hotel, there are MANY different size/layouts of the rooms. Some bathrooms are SUPER small, others are acceptable. I mainly stay in the old tower section because I like rooms on high floors. I have stayed in the presidential, governors, parlors and regular rooms. The hotel is old elegant and I am usually pleased.
Like I said, I have stayed here many times, I am a gold member and rarely ever get on the top 4 floors which I find odd, though I have been upgraded to the specialty suites because of being a gold member but it's only happened twice out of the 20+ times I've stayed here. The executive lounge breakfast has the exact same thing every morning. . sausage, bacon, eggs, oatmeal, and potatoes along with all the pastries and cereals. I do appreciate the ability for the host/hostess to get me some french toast when its not busy and I'm in the mood for something different. . .but sometimes I can see it on their faces that it's a hassle.
Also, the water park that is attached to it seems to be a place where you can bring your kids and not watch them. Hotel guests are allowed access to the hot tub in the water park area, but don't plan on enjoying it, every time I've gone down there I get a bunch of young kids splashing in the hot tub with the parents nowhere around. And when the life guards take a break and everyone has to get out of the pool, ALL the kids hop into the hot tub.
Parking is $24 a night which I think is kinda pricey for Milwaukee, but the ramp is attached to the hotel and convenient.
parking tip: during the nice weekends, Ive parked across the street from the hotel for less.

Room Tip: If you absolutely cant stand your mini bathroom, ask to see if they can move you to a different room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for an annual fundraising gala organized by my association and got the complimentary Executive Parlor Suite. The living area had a wetbar, sofa pull-out, dining table, flat-screen TV and a queen-sized bed and its own bathroom. The adjoining room had a king bed and own bathroom. It was perfect for a family of 2 grandparents who got the king bedroom, 2 parents who got the queen bed, and 2 teenaged kids on the sofa pull-out. Before the formal event, the suite was a hub for the organizers and the spacious parlor was logistics central. The Hilton has always been great at event-planning and very easy to work with. The gala was well-attended and a success and we knew the choice of hotel was key to that success. Thank you to you all and hope to hold it there again soon!

• Stayed September 2012
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear iluvtraveling123,

It's always awesome to hear from local residents who have worked with the hotel in some capacity - be it planning a wedding, or in your case organizing a gala.

I'm so happy to hear that both your stay, and the experience of the gala met all of your expectations. Another example of the Hilton City Center making its mark in the community, and as you say that the choice of the hotel was key to your gala's success - the events held in our hotel are key to our success as well. So pleased to have worked with you as well!

Lake Mary, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Being the largest convention hotel in Milwaukee, there is considerable room for improvement. Since my arrival the attitude has improved considerably but overall service rates lower than other Hilton properties. Diamond members shouldn't come to this hotel with expectations that you're exclusive in the eyes of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Each time I walk into the lobby of this hotel I am struck by the elegance of this older building. It is so historic with the marble floors and intricate chandeliers. It is a fairly large hotel with many amenities. The fitness area wasn't overly large and all machines were in use when we stopped in. We haven't tried the waterpark area, but I like the fact that you can't smell it anywhere in the hotel.
The room we had this time was smaller, but still nice. The furnishings are an interesting combination of old traditional and ultra modern and yet it works very well.
We spent quite a bit of time in the executive lounge and were astonished the first time we went there this trip. The lovely woman who works the area during the afternoon, Virgie, recognized us from the previous year. I thought I recognized her, but she knew we had been there before. That, in itself, was pretty impressive. She is just perfect in that position and makes a trip to the Executive lounge truly enjoyable.
We also enjoyed our breakfast there each day. Thery had a good selection of hot foods as well as all the typical breakfast items.. I never got the name of the gentleman who does the breakfast time, but he was also very pleasant and did his job well.
While our room was small, the amenities are very nice. The towels are plush and the bedding is what you would like at home. The beds are extremely comfortable and the room darkening draperies are a plus if you don't want to wake up too early.
The room was equipped with a small coffee pot and flat screen TV. A small fridge and microwave would have been nice, but perhaps there was not room for it. There was an iron and ironing board as well as a hairdryer.
Overall, I just love the old elegance of this place. I went into the lobby restroom for the first time this trip. It was enormous and the marble floors were lovely. Much thought has gone into every aspect of this business and it shows.
There is a parking ramp conveniently located on-site. It costs $26 for 24 hours. Seems a bit steep, but you pay for the convenience. There was a lot across the street that was only $6 a day, but we weren't sure about how secure it might be. We were comfortable leaving the car in the Hilton ramp. It also allowed us to leave and enter again, which was nice.
We have not stayed at any of the other downtown hotels. Why would we when the Hilton has almost everything we want?

Room Tip: Get a corner room if you can. They are considerably larger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guavagirlKW

Thank you for your passionate review of our property!

It's always a great experience as an employee of this hotel to hear of my coworkers being mentioned directly by name in reviews such as yours. All of our associates approach their work with a level of professionalism, dedication and earnestness that am in consistent awe of. They see it how their positive attitudes can greatly affect the experiences of our guests as it did for you during your stay and interaction with Virgie.

A few notes are that we do offer microwaves and refrigerators for our guests upon request and that our indoor waterpark has been closed since earlier this year.

Again your words do not fall on deaf ears and we are greatly appreciative of your incredibly kind descriptions and opinions of both our hotel, our staff, and your experience.

We're eager to see you again soon.

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

they took amazing care of me! fantastic hospitality. thank you for being such a great hotel! best management and front desk anywhere! executive lounge is the best! fitness center excellent and rooms are well kept with great views

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hi Johnny!

Thanks for such great words! We're glad to have made such an incredible impression on you, and can't wait for you to stay with us again!

Thanks!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I spent two nights here for a conference of the National Association of Railroad Passengers. My room in this historic hotel was smallish, but almost perfectly sized for what I needed, with a super-comfortable bed and nice (though awkwardly placed, IMHO) armchair.

Staff was helpful and kind enough to hunt down an important package I had received.

The Hilton is located within walking distance from the train station, which sure saved me some $$$ on a cab or shuttle. The neighborhood immediately surrounding the hotel was decently walkable, though the abundance of nearby parking lots seemed to have moderately stifled pedestrian traffic. Had I stayed longer, I would have liked to check out the hotel's higher-end restaurant, the neighborhoods just east of the river, as well as the indoor waterpark that I heard was located very nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear AlikaAlex,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor - we're thrilled to hear such positive feedback. As our property is historic, our rooms tend to vary in size, but are furnished to best accommodate our guests needs. And as with any Hilton Hotel, our staff adhere to a code of excellence in customer service that we're happy to see helped you in tracking down your package.

There is plenty to do in Downtown Milwaukee, and we hope that should you choose to make Milwaukee a destination for a personal vacation, you might choose to visit with us so you can experience Milwaukee Chophouse (our in-house high end restaurant that you referenced) included.

I must note however, that Paradise Landing (the indoor waterpark you mentioned) was closed earlier this year after much consideration.

Thanks again for your kind words - we do hope to see you in the near future!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton for the Kenny Chesney concert and it was a very busy weekend in MKE with Marquette Graduations and this concert. The hotel was very busy however check in was quick and parking was easy (parking is $24/night). The rooms are updated and well maintained, beds were comfortable and we had a nice view of the lake. This hotel has a lot of old charm, but still renovated and nice looking. This is one of the better Hilton's ive ever stayed in. The HHonors lounge for diamond members was a nice hidden gem. Our free breakfast had a good array to choose from -- eggs, potatoes, oat meal, cereal, bagels and toast. The bus boy was very nice as well.

Overall, a very good stay. Id stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear akm107

Thank you so much for making the trip up from Chicago for the Kenny Chesney concert, and for deciding to stay with us. I trust you enjoyed the concert as I've heard from numerous attendees that it was nothing short of awesome.

I also wanted to thank you for taking note of our numerous amenities and the charm of the hotel. Our HHonors lounge is a must for any members, and we're proud to say that few ever leave unsatisfied.

We look forward to you staying with us when you choose to visit Milwaukee again!

Dustin Zick

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!