“A good place to stay, despite check-in snarl” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #14 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Boston, Massachusetts
“A good place to stay, despite check-in snarl”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was visiting Milwaukee to see my parents and attend the wedding of my niece. Although I had been staying with my parents, most family members were "farmed out" to a reserved block of rooms at the Hilton downtown. My room, a king single, was spacious, clean, and well-equipped, with a large and comfortable bed with more pillows than I knew what to do with. The rooms that I saw--and I was able to see a good selection of them by visiting other family members' rooms--were all good-sized and updated well. I had no problems with the corridor noise or thin walls to which some earlier reviewers have referred; everything was silent. Of course, I was in a room far away from the tower elevators but the hallways were quiet, and the closet and bath effectively insulated me from hearing anything from the adjacent room.

The one thing that brought my rating down a notch was the difficulty in checking in: The room had been reserved by the mother of the bride, my sister, and the desk clerks, who seemed to be rather inexperienced, had difficulty finding my name in the block and did not use much imagination or effort in finding it. It took me several hours to contact my sister who was busy at the wedding rehearsal and dinner and had switched off her cell phone ( I had arrived at the hotel shortly after 6:00 p.m., and it was around 10 p.m. when I finally reached her) , to get the reservation information in toto. Once I got the information and gave it to the clerks (it turned out that my name was, indeed, mentioned as the occupant of the room on the system), the desk clerks had me drag my brother-in-law down from his room (it was now 10:30 p.m., and he was in his pajamas) to show his credit card and picture ID to vouch for me, although the room would be paid on my own card, and I had shown my government-issued ID. I should note that both desk clerks were polite throughout the procedure, never curt or rude; they were just not experienced enough to navigate the reservation system well enough to handle a somewhat complex reservation without difficulty.

Since all the meals I had during my two-night stay were at the wedding venue, at outside restaurants, and at my parents' apartment (a brunch), I had no opportunity to sample the fare at the hotel's restaurants.

All in all, however, I enjoyed staying in a real downtown hotel from the 1920's--my late grandparents managed large hotels in Chicago and St. Louis during my childhood, which provided wonderful memories for a child in the 1950's and '60's--which is a kind of festive experience one cannot get from a soulless suburban hotel. Nevertheless, the quality of amenities and furnishings provided at this hotel were as up to date and top notch as any newer chain hotel. This is a good place to stay if you get a good rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hi pete1146,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and review here on TripAdvisor. Let me first apologize for the difficulty you had in checking in. Our Front Desk leadership staff are constantly working to improve our procedures and make the check-in process as seamless and painless as possible. The difficulties you experienced are certainly not the ideal standard we work towards. Also, thank you for pointing out that our clerks were polite throughout the ordeal - often when customers have issues such as your own, the attitude of our staff isn't noted - and I'm certainly happy to read that they were polite throughout.

All and all, I'm very happy to see that despite this snafu, your experience still remained, on the whole, a positive one. That is what we like to hear, and we're glad to have regaled you in the historic beauty of our property - it truly is one-of-a-kind.

We hope that should you visit Milwaukee again in the future, you will choose to stay with us again - and that this time around your check-in will be a piece of cake.

Thank you again!

882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Westchester, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

For the price, this was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed it.

-GREAT location
-Wonderful lobby feel and flow of the hotel, beatiful architecture and nicely decorated
-Friendly staff, quick check in
-Room was large and comfortable
-Great view
-Pub was great
-Starbucks on premises....always a plus!
-Easy to get to

Would stay here again, no question

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review. We take every step possible to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests, and enjoy seeing their reviews on TripAdvisor after they've had the chance to stay - good or bad. That said, it's always enjoyable to read a review as overwhelmingly positive as yours.

We're glad you had an opportunity to experience Miller Time Pub & Grill, the Starbucks and generally everything we have to offer.

Happy to hear you would stay here again and we welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us next time you visit our great city!

Thanks so much,

Quincy, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Spent a week at the Hilton in June 2011, came back for a week in June 2012. That says a lot right there. This hotel dates back to 1927, so it has the high ceilings and large elegant public spaces from that era. I stayed there a couple days in 1992 when it was the Adams Mark Hotel; it seemed much older then. So coming back 20 years later the renovations when it became part of the Hilton chain almost seemed to take years off the hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated and functional enough for modern upscale accommodations. The beds are comfy, and the TV offers a hugh number of channels. The bathrooms are a bit small by today's standards but functional.
Three on site choices for dining include a top notch steakhouse, a casual dining cafe, and a corner pub (this is Milwaukee after all(. There is also a stand alone Starbucks on the ground floor.
Staff are friendly and helpful, and the wait staff in the restaurants are top notch.
Some reviewers have criticized the $24 parking fee. Yes it is high, but it is clearly disclosed on the website, and this is in the middle of the downtown of a major city, and it gets you in and out access in a secure parking garage with direct access to the hotel.
May be back for a week in June 2013, but at present the website wants almost double what we paid this year for the same category room (superior). May have to try the Doubletree in the next block.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago, illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The elegant lobbies of this hotel give away the age of the original structure. But the rooms have clearly been updated. We had a great stay at the hotel while visiting for a fencing tournament at the Frontier Center next door. Nice fitness center, really nice though small! One problem - Upon request for a quiet room away from elevator, unfortunately the desk person didn't realize that he put us across from the ice machine. We were awakened numerous times during the night! Put it on your maps!!! Not a quiet room! Also, the wifi was only available in public areas and not good signal. Otherwise, you can pay $$$ in your room - I really dislike that! Miller Pub downstairs has good burgers and service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hi chicagocooks,

Thanks for your kind words regarding your stay here at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. My apologies for the issues you had with noise overnight - we'll certainly keep proximity to the ice machine in mind the next time a guest requests a quiet room - much appreciated feedback.

We're always looking for ways to improve our amenities, so your comments regarding our WiFi connection do not fall on deaf ears.

I'm also glad to hear you found time to stop in Miller Time Pub & Grill and enjoy one of their craft burgers.

I hope you did well in the fencing tournament! And I hope that you make a return visit to Milwaukee in the near future, during which we'd be thrilled to have you as a guest again.

Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was a pretty good hotel. I went to celebrate a friend's 30th golden birthday and had a blast. The room was pretty decent, clean, great to relax. The bathroom didn't have a fan for post shower steam clear out. There was only one window far off in the corner of a very long room that didn't really give good light. The bed was great for sleeping though, really comfy. It was surprisingly warm in the room even though I set the heat down to 65 (the lowest setting) to even it out, it seemed that didn't do much of anything. You still woke up pretty sweaty. I went over a weird Milwaukee December heat wave, so maybe that had something to do with it, but still, you would think the temperature gauge would help.

You can hear everything that transpires in the halls. I know this because there was a cheerleading competition happening and the hotel was full of 12 -14 year old cheerleader girls with very giggly squeaky voices who loved to laugh.

The surrounding neighborhood was downtown which doesn't get a ton of young people action. By young I mean under 35 or 40. So if you're looking to hang out in that neighborhood on a hot and happening weekend, skip it. If you just want to hang out close to downtown shops and views and retire early, it's great. Maybe for a family oriented vacation.

I would stay here again if this was closer to a more nightlife.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without a corner view. You will get only one window in a very long room that barel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi TRSpiller,

First off, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the Hilton Milwaukee City Center here on TripAdvisor - we do appreciate it.

We're constantly taking guest feedback to make sure all of the components of our rooms are in full functioning order - thank you for your notes regarding the thermostat in your room. It's definitely been uncharacteristically warm here in Milwaukee this December (something that us Milwaukee residents are OK with, no doubt), but that definitely doesn't excuse the heat issue in your room, so thank you again.

I'm also glad to hear that while the other guests during your stay were audible, they didn't detract too much from the quality of your stay.

Thanks again for your review. Next time you're looking for a low-key Milwaukee getaway, we hope you choose to stay with us again!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

One of the better domestic (USA) Hilton properties I've stayed at. I've stayed here several times and yes some rooms are smaller than others but as a diamond member, I frequently get upgraded. The ambiance of the historic building is great, the location is centrally located to everything and the rooms are updated quite nicely. I would definitely choose to stay here again for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stay at the Hilton 4 to 5 days a month. I cant speak to the other rooms in the hotel, but the Jr. suites are some of the best rooms I have stayed in. Easily large enough for a small family, it makes it feel more like home. The restaurants on site are good and the members lounge is fantastic.
The only problem that I can think of is that there is no pool available during the week. It is only open on weekends.
Overall a great value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!