“Conference hotel with pluses and minuses” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
San Antonio
“Conference hotel with pluses and minuses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center for three nights while attending a conference at the Pioneer Center. In general, it was a good experience with some major frustrations. Pluses: easy access via skywalk to convention center, best tub I've had in a hotel in a long, long time: very deep, wide and sloped in the back for nice resting; chair with footstool, comfortable bed; staff with a great attitude and so helpful; daily USA News; gift shop well equipped; older rehabed hotel with beautiful architecture inside; heating good; furnishings attractive; carpet new; decent-sized garbage pails in the room; room service was good, price reasonable, large servings.
Negatives: totally inadequate internet: impossible to access from the room and cost was $3/hour; business center with two computers using Windows XP (2 generations old) so difficult to download gmail emails with more than 2 in the queue, only two chairs in the business ctr, computers repeatedly crashed; internet was free in the business center, but you must swipe your credit card and the outside company providing the service puts a $20 hold on your account each time you check email! The hotel is not handicapped accessible; you must go up two short sets of three steps to go to any of the restaurants or the gift shop. No air vent in the bathroom. No minibar or refrigerator in the room; the safe is in a dark closet with a light you turn on, but the bulb is a low wattage so it's difficult to see; no bath gel in the bathroom.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear anneharper1951,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hilton Milwaukee City Center on Tripadvisor. We always like to know when guests experience were memorable enough to warrant a review online, and yours is certainly no exception. There were so many great points you mentioned that I cannot mention them all - so thank you for commenting on the attitude of our staff, as that experience is one we always set the bar high with.

In the same regard, thank you for your critiques. As a premiere hotel in downtown Milwaukee, we're constantly looking for ways that we can improve the experiences of our guests. Our internet service is a frequently mentioned matter by guests - so we're continuing to take that input into consideration when we look at what parts of our experience have the most room for improvement.

Again, thank you so much for all of your kind words and critiques - we're happy to know that for the most part, your stay with us was extremely positive, and hope that means we get the privilege of calling you a guest again the next time you visit Milwaukee.

Thank You!

Dustin Zick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was a very neat hotel located close to many downtown attractions and not far from Lake Michigan either. It was close to the arts, entertainment, food, and shopping. There were great views from very modern rooms. The lobby was very glitzy and harkened back to the early 1900's with golden walls and ceilings, chandeliers, and lights draped with gem-like stones.
There was a small water park for younger kids, but which also included a fairly large sized hot tub for the older crowd.

Great location, great views, good service, and a neat atmosphere.

Highly recommend if it is in your price range or if you can snag a deal on Hotwire like we did (in which case what I'm saying is don't worry you've just booked a great hotel at a bargain rate!)

Room Tip: Higher levels obviously have rooms with better views (if that's what you're in to).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for business. I loved the history of the building and the location. I walked all over the place on my own during the day and found great shops and charming restaurants very handy. Rooms were quiet and nicely decorated but it is a little worse for wear. I also thought housekeeping was lacking in detail cleaning. If you like architectural detail this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night after the Wine and Dine at the Frontier Airlines Center across the street with several of my girlfriends. We had 2 adjoining rooms. Staff and service was great. Lunch the next morning at the Miller Pub was good. We parked in the garage across the street (east) of the hotel for $5 (Hilton garage parking is $24). Room was very clean and very nice. However, we wished there would've been a hairdryer, a microwave, and a mini-fridge. Also, the walls were PAPER thin; you could hear all conversations that took place in the hallway (although I did notice that there was substantial space between all of the room doors and the floor...maybe they need longer doors or a bet I fter seal?). We could also hear kids running around in the next room, as well as toilets flushing above us. I know it is an older hotel, and it is very beautiful, but we probably won't stay here again for this type of gathering...we always had to be conscious not to be too loud because again, walls were very thin! I felt like talking at a normal voice level was even a bit too much....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rockford, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our bell captain service was a great start to a weekend at the Hilton. He was extremely helpful with our luggage, etc. as their drop off area for the hotel is terrible. They make the best of it by having a good amount of staff to help you in the check in process. The hotel is beautiful with a good bar (Monarch Room), and cafe, as well as Miller Room, and Chop House. Our room was a good corner room, though we experienced quite a bit of noise from the ball rooms a few floors down. Our biggest dissapointment was with housekeeping. We were gone from our room for about 4 hours until early afternoon, and our room hadn't been cleaned. We left again for an event, and mentioned to housekeepers on the floor that we would be gone again so they could clean our room. Unfortunately, when we returned, still not cleaned. We called housekeeping, and informed them that our room hadn't been cleaned, and that we would be gone for about 5 hours until late in the evening. Again we returned and no clean room, no fresh towels, etc. You get it. It's late, housekeeping is gone. Upon calling the front desk, they offered fresh towels, toiletries, and coffee service, and an apology, which was most appreciated. We are HHonors members, and chose Hilton above any other chain. This time, though, we were disappointed with the lack of response to numerous requests to attend to our room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMilwaukee, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Fisherwoman,

Thank you very much for choosing to be our guest on your recent visit from Rockford, IL! Thank you very much for the comments concerning our Bell Service as well as the Monarch Lounge, Miller Time Pub and the Chophouse! We do also feature our Cafe and a Starbucks in our Lower Lobby!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you faced with our housekeeping service. I am very sorry to your repeated requests for housekeeping service was seemingly ignored by our Team. I want to assure you and the tripadvisor.com community that this service is not the standard of the Hilton Milwaukee and that I appreciate you sharing these details with our hotel to ensure they are addressed and resolved!

I look forward to having the chance to welcome you back in the future! Please contact me directly if I can offer further assistance.

Jacob Ruck
Manager at the Hilton Milwaukee
jacobruck@hiltonmilwaukee.com
414.390.8390
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for a business meeting which recommended children to attend, but our accommodations were not suited for a child. There are stairs everywhere so when I was trying to navigate through the hotel was a nightmare with her stroller. Our room had double beds which meant we had to rearrange a majority of the room in order to set up her pack n play. The walls are very thin as we heard noise in the hall all night long which caused our daughter to wake up several times. With no breakfast we got lucky to find a bakery in the area for breakfast since I wasn't going to pay $10 for French toast. I guess I had higher expectations about the hotel when looking at their webpage. It is probably a lovely hotel for nice, adult gatherings but not for families.

Stayed November 2012
Dear Jenny J,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hilton Milwaukee. I am very sorry to hear of the shortcomings that you experienced as our guest with your family. Please accept my apologies regarding the room size as well as the noise the interrupted your rest and that of your child.

I would like nothing more than to discuss your time as our guest in person to ensure that your comments are addressed as the Hilton Milwaukee strives to welcome all guests with open arms and to ensure that you every need to meet!

Jacob Ruck
Manager at the Hilton Milwaukee
jacobruck@hiltonmilwaukee.com
414.390.8390
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Hilton City Center a few times and will definitely continue coming back. The rooms are very clean and upscale. I love the beds at this Hilton...extremely comfortable. They do charge $24.00 a night for parking. There is a parking garage across the street that is half the price and a free parking lot a few blocks from the Hilton. This hotel is in a great location, right downtown, close to great restaurants, bars, and shopping. Also connected to convention center via skywalk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!