“Very Nice Room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Very Nice Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was attending a convention at the Iron Horse Hotel and had a very tight schedule, so I didn't get to check into my room until 11:00 PM. I called ahead and the staff was very nice, understanding and handling my late check-in. When I got to the hotel, the check-in process was fast, friendly and I was on my way up the elevator. My room was a Superior King and the room was large, newly remodeled, clean with a new TV, coffee maker, it just was very pleasant with a great view of the City from the 13th floor. I had a tough day, so it was nice to relax in this very nice room. As others have written, the bathroom is small, in fact it's very tight, the door hits the tub, too bad they didn't use pocket doors instead, but maybe that would have been too expensive to do. The hair dryer was in a bag in the closet as you walk in, simply because there is no space for it anywhere in this bathroom. Other than that though, I would stay here again if it was my husband and I. If it was with girlfriends, it would be hard to get ready in the morning, there's no mirrors anywhere else in the room to put on makeup.

Room Tip: The hairdryers are in a bag in the closet. It took awhile to locate it. Nice touch, they give you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Hi bjtours,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It's always a pleasure hearing about guests who enjoyed their time here at the Hilton. We're happy that our service was exemplary and more than pleased to read that you enjoyed the room amenities. As you indeed noted, bathrooms in some of our rooms are smaller than average - again we're happy to know that this didn't impede you from enjoying your stay.

Thanks again for staying at the Hilton and we're eager to host you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Williamsburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center and was very impressed, overall, with the hotel. All of the employees are super helpful and very friendly - every one I passed made an effort to say hello and ask how I was doing. Check in was a breeze and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to check in early. The room was nice, clean, and the beds were very comfy. The front desk and bell stand employees were extremely helpful in suggesting restaurant and sightseeing venues. As a young woman travelling alone, I felt safe at all times during my stay. The hotel served as the venue for the conference I was attending and I can therefore comment on the banquet and conference facilities as well which were BEAUTIFUL! The location is great - was able to walk to the lake and river, check out the market, and there were great restaurants/shopping/other attractions nearby. I was only there during the week, so I can't speak to the water park aspect except that I wish it was open during the week!

Just a few reasons I'm not giving this property five stars: In the closet in my room, there was an exposed electrical box with exposed wires which quite simply shouldn't have been left like that. I certainly didn't lose any sleep over it but based on reviews I've seen from others, it's definitely something I could see someone else complaining about in much greater detail. Secondly, when I called from my room to request a late check out, I was told they could not accommodate...fair enough. However, when a colleague asked at the desk and was granted the late check out, I was frustrated. While after a trip to the desk I was able to get it without a problem, I don't feel like I should have had to ask multiple times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi hokiemagoo,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for the Hilton Milwaukee City Center on TripAdvisor, we really do appreciate hearing feedback of all sorts. I love hearing when people recognize how great our location is in the heart of downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee is such a fantastic place to experience - and I'm happy to hear that you were able to do so at least a bit.

Thank you for informing us re: the electrical wires in your closet & our apologies for the confusion and any associate hassle regarding a late checkout - I'm glad to hear that it wasn't an issue in the long run, though.

Again, we were happy to have you during the duration of your conference, and hope that should you decide to explore our great city in the near future, that we'll have privledge to have you stay with us again.

Thanks again!
Sun City Center, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed there for a couple of days and left behind 8 items, they are going to ship them to me in FL, how great is that. All the young bell boys we had went out of their way to help us with our luggage and stuff. Great Customer Service even after we left.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we were not able to use the Pool or Spa it's only available from 9 am to 6 pm.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently had a 3 day stay at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center and had a terrific experience from arrival to departure. One specific interaction came from Craig Hill, the Doorman. I arrived and realized later in the evening I had forgotten my cosmetics. I asked Craig if there was a place nearby where I could buy a few things and he said there was a place but it was already closed. He agreed to shop for me after his shift that night, on his way home. I have never asked anyone at a hotel to do anything of the sort before but I really appreciated his help. He asked for a list and in the morning, my two items were in an envelope at the front desk. The staff is very helpful, welcoming and attentive which only makes the experience of the beautifully restored property that much more remarkable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Menasha, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I received a special Rally price for Friday and Saturday and decided to go "Uptown". I was greeted pleasantly by the doorman who let me leave my motorcycle by the front door while I checked in. He was very helpful and friendly. The counter staff were as friendly and helpful. The room was excellent. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was updated and very nice. The closet was big enough and the TV was just right.
I was working at the Milwaukee Motorcycle Rally and on my feet all day. It was a pleasure to come back to a great room. On my first night, there was a jazz band playing, so I had some excellent food and good Scotch enjoyed the bar and hit the hay.
Saturday night I went downstairs to eat at the Miller Time Pub. The atmosphere was excellent, the waitress was timely and served well. The food was not good. I ordered the fish and chips...the chips were good, but the fish was tasteless. Salt, tartar sauce and hot sauce (?) couldn't raise any flavor from the breading or the fish. I was tired and didn't raise the issue with the waitress. I will order something else next time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Jim -

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hilton here on TripAdvisor. It sounds like your time in Milwaukee was great for many reasons and we're thrilled to have been a such a defining part of your experience.

We're looking forward to the next time you decide to visit Milwaukee and having you stay with us!

Dustin Zick
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here agin this year for the Milwaukee Rally. We got a great rate that included parking since we are Harley Owners Group members and it was a headquarters hotel. This year we stayed on a different side of the hotel overlooking 5th street. From what I've read in other reviews, this is the "historic" side of the hotel. I guess the small bathroom is the giveaway. We arrived early for our two night stay and the staff was accomodating. That early on a Saturday of a holiday weekend, the only rooms available were with two full beds. Since we hate waiting for a room we just took it even though they said they could hold our luggae and call us when a room with a bigger bed was ready. We just wanted to get in our room and start our vacation :) The room was updated with really nice beds, modern furniture and a flat screen. But yes, the bathroom was teeny tiny. Both of us couldn't be in there at the same time unless someone was showering and when you were using the bathroom if someone opened the door it would hit you in the knees. We were on a casual vacation and not worried about looking our best so we didn't care. I guess if we would have been there for a wedding it may have been a pain. If having a big bathroom is really important you should make a point to let them know at check-in. Last year we stayed on the other side of the hotel and had a really big bathroom. We didn't have any issues with noise at all. The only small nit I had was that the elevators were super slow and always seemed full but no biggie. This is our second year staying here and I would definitely stay again. It's a great find for the price!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chicagogirl537 -

It's a real pleasure to read so many positive reviews from guests who stayed with us during the Milwaukee Rally. I can say without a doubt that we were thrilled to have you back and genuinely look forward to your next stay with us here.

Also, I wanted to thank you in regards to your observations regarding the bathroom size - as this is a fact that many guests note. I think your review will be particularly helpful as we try to be as accomodating as possible regarding guest needs.

Dustin Zick
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was in a great location! We were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go and felt very safe doing so. I bought the room on Priceline and got a great deal. When we arrived, the front desk even upgraded us to a deluxe king room because they had extras open. The room was spacious, clean, and had a great view of downtown. The concierge was helpful, but told us we definitely did not need reservations for dinner at a certain restaurant and when we showed up, we found out they were all booked up. We went to both the Miller Pub and the Cafe that were in the lobby and each was good, not great, but good. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!