“Average hotel in a good location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Average hotel in a good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Milwaukee for the first time at the end of May 2012. The purpose of the trip was a romantic weekend getaway for our first wedding anniversary. We REALLY wanted to stay at the Pfister Hotel since it has good ratings on TripAdvisor and it has been personally recommended to me, but it was completely booked a couple weeks in advance. Apparently there were multiple graduations happening the weekend we visited Milwaukee (it looked like both high school and college graduations), so all hotels booked up really quickly. I was very disappointed that we wouldn't be staying at the historic Pfister but tried to keep an open mind about the Hilton.

The lobby of the Hilton is beautiful - huge chandeliers, sweeping staircases, etc. We were also able to park directly across the street in a 24-hour parking lot that wasn't even half full, which was a convenient surprise. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but it was only a few dollars for every 24 hours. I think the Hilton has valet parking, but it doesn't make much sense to use it since the lot is directly across the street.

The room was clean but nothing special. It did not have a mini bar, the bathroom was small but nice (but didn't have a fan), and the air-conditioning wasn't that great. Also, the restaurant where you can order breakfast was nothing special and not particularly great. On the plus side, the hotel is situated close to the River Walk, and within walking distance to all of the lakefront attractions.

Don't stay here if we're looking for nice little "extra" touches for a special occasion. Otherwise, it's definitely passable for a night or two in the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMilwaukee, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Sarah Z -

Thank you very much for sharing your review of the Hilton Milwaukee on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize that we currently do not have in room mini bars however we do have Room Service as well as 2 fantastic Lounges and 2 hotel bars inside our property.

I am also very sorry to hear that you would not recommend our hotel for a special occasion, however I look forward to hearing back from your to ensure that your next stay with us exceeds your expectations!

Best,

Jacob Ruck
Manager at the Hilton Milwaukee
jacobruck@hiltonmilwaukee.com
414.390.8390

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Silvis, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Hotel was nice and staff was extremely helpful. Room was clean, roomy and comfortable. Nice having pub lounge where our group could meet each day. Hotel is within walking distance to everything. Great place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My son goes to camp in Wisconsin and when it is pickup weekend, my husband and I usually drive from Chicago to Milwaukee, spend the night in or near the city and then drive to pick our son up the following morning to break up the driving.

I booked our room through Hotwire and ended up paying a total of about $70 including tax and fees. I originally booked a room with a single queen size bed. Then we got a call from camp- my son needed to come home early. We drove straight up to get him and straight back, several days earlier than our original reservation. Since the hotel was already paid for, we decided to have a little overnight 'staycation' in Milwaukee.

The staff was very helpful when I called and asked that our room be switched to one with two beds. The hotel itself is very centrally located and easy to find. Parking is in an attached garage and although there was a parking fee of $25, we did then have in and out privileges.

This is an older hotel, with a lot of gilt and patterned carpet and a little wear and tear,but the staff was very helpful and everything was very clean. Our room was small, but clean and the beds and mattresses were extremely comfortable. Linens were very soft for hotel linens as wel, with none of that 'bleachy' feel you sometimes get from hotel sheets. The bathroom was also small, with a little bit of marked up paint and so on, but very clean and perfectly fine for what we needed.

There is a small indoor water park at the hotel and we went in the evening for a few hours. My son is 12 and the pool area does seem like it would be more fun for younger kids. But we played water basketball and relaxed in the large hot tub. I do have to say, even for any indoor pool area, this one is SUPER chlorinated. I have allergies and after a couple of hours my eyes were burning and my throat was itchy, so I went upstairs while my husband and son went to the attached arcade. They told me that many of the video games were not working, so they played a little and came back upstairs.

Next morning we ate breakfast in the hotel cafe. There is a large breakfast buffet, as well as an ala carte menu, serving the usual breakfast items. Our food was good, but it was expensive for what it was (over $60 for french toast, coffee and juice for 3 people) but for us it was worth it for convenience as we were leaving right after eating. Check out was easy and we were on our way.

All in all, this was a very good place for a family weekend- we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum and out for dinner and the hotel was very centrally located for doing things in the city. We would come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
moonhope
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Good location downtown. Chop House restaurant and Starbucks in the lobby. Big hotel. Typical big Hilton. Attached to convention center. Close to other activities. Too busy for a relaxing vacation stay. Good clean rooms and very pleasant helpful staff. $28 taxi from the airport. Charged for wifi. Nice business stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Valencia, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The downtown Hilton was a pleasant surprise. We were in town for a wedding and a 4 night stay. While obviously an older hotel it has been renovated (not quite done) and has preserved the stately elegance of another era. Rooms were comfortable and the mattress was a dream. I was able to sleep well the very first night. The staff was very friendly and in a genuine way. I do believe all the "good mornings" were sincere. I was a little disappointed that they did not offer valet parking. Even though the parking was next door it seemed like a long walk back to the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oswego, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Hilton Milwaukee City center is an older hotel with charm and character and the Hilton quality stamp throughout. The lobby and public areas are immaculate, there is a Starbucks, a steakhouse and a friendly pub on the lobby level. There is City Bus service just steps outside the front door to take you anywhere in Milwaukee, as well as Casino pick up on a scheduled basis. The convention center is right across the street. There is even a walkway that connects the hotel with the convention center, so you never have to leave the hotel/convention center if you dont wish to. It is clean and brightly lit. We walked to nearby restaurants and bars without fear, the downtown area seems very safe, even at night. Or you can ask the doorman to call a cab for you, and he will give you that service with a smile and a "My pleasure" response. Hilton means quality as far as I am concerned.

We booked our stay through Priceline and got a really great rate. We were given one of the smaller rooms with a Queen sized bed. The linens and the room overall were immaculate. We had a large window, with a view of only rooftops, but we didnt expect a gorgeous view for the rate that we paid, and didnt mind one bit. The bathroom was tiny, but immaculate. The Hilton Quality was obvious throughout. The bed was ultra-comfy. Other than size, our only negative is the plumbing. The toilets flush with a very loud ROAR! I jumped with surprise the first time I flushed the toilet. My husband and I decided that if we had to use the toilet during the night, or early am, we would not flush it for fear of waking up one another or our neighbors. There is very little soundproofing, probably because of the age of this hotel. Overall we were very happy with our little room and the wonderful location and ambiance of the hotel.

A big negative: It costs $25 dollars a day to park. This rate is not unusual for a covered garage in a big city. However, If you are on a budget, there is lot-parking with ample spots right across the street from the main entrance for only $5 a day Your car will be outside all night, so there is more possibility of break-ins than in the hotel's $25 parking garage .

Another big disadvantage is that there is no swimming pool. They do havea contract with an on-site indoor water park, but there is a hefty fee to use it, and it is designed for children, so not a very relaxing experience. It would be nice to have a pool and hot tub reserved strictly for hotel guests to relax in.

There is a fee for wifi, however if you want to save some money, The Pub down stairs has FREE wifi,and FREE popcorn. And the Pub's beer is ice cold, plus the food is delicious and fairly priced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Milwaukee Hilton sits on the west side of downtown Milwaukee. The location was convenient for our sightseeing. I imagine the hotel is very convenient for people attending events and conferences at the Frontier Airlines center right across the street. The Milwaukee Theater and Bradley Center are both an easy three blocks walk.

The hotel’s public spaces are beautiful and clean. The lobby can get busy during check-in and check-out times. All the doormen we encountered were extremely professional and friendly. The front desk is one level above the lobby. Check-in was efficient if not a little cold. I’m guessing it was the great rate we got through a third party website as the front desk was not busy at all. I am a member of Hilton’s loyalty program, and I am fairly certain had I booked the room with my HHonors number, we would not have been treated as such.

We were given a room on a lower floor and during our initial walk to the room I thought we would have noise problems later that night. We were staying over Memorial Day weekend, and it appeared that there were a couple weddings going on, as well as other various groups of people. There was a lot of noise going on in the hallway, and we could hear a wedding reception from the floor below. While the hallways were loud, our room was pretty quiet in the evening, and I heard nothing after 10pm.

Our room was decently sized for an older hotel, and everything was very clean. Unfortunately, we didn’t have much of a view, but we weren’t spending a lot of time in the room anyway.
I really dislike having to pay much for parking, and it seems that the hotel overcharges for it ($24/night). We ended up parking at the Amtrak station for $6 a day. I’d recommend this option to anyone that is ok with leaving their car in a surface lot overnight and not minding a 5-6 block walk to the hotel. We managed just fine for the two nights. For those wanting a closer option, there is also a garage across the street from the hotel. I believe they charged less as well.

All in all, we would stay here again. We ended up getting a fantastic rate through a third-party website. All of the employees except for the young lady at the front desk we encountered were very friendly. The only real negative was the parking rate for the hotel garage, and the demeanor of the front desk clerk.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMilwaukee, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear michiganchris –

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton Milwaukee and for the review of our hotel. I appreciate the details you shared about the hotel and the service that you received. Please accept my sincere apologies for the demeanor of our Guest Service Agent at you arrival and for the fact that she made you feel unwelcome.

At the Hilton Milwaukee we strive to provide the highest level of comfort, service and amenities and I again am sorry to hear that we did not make you feel that way. Our staff also prides itself on our service to our guests and can assure you your comments have been read and discussed with our team.

I look forward to your return and welcome the chance to discuss you time as our guest further or be of assistance in the future!

Best,

Jacob Ruck
Manager at the Hilton Milwaukee
jacobruck@hiltonmilwaukee.com
414.390.8390

Been to Hilton Milwaukee City Center? Share your experiences!