“I've stayed at worse hotels... But not many.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Ramada Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6331 South 13th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53221 (Formerly The Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #42 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Omaha, Nebraska
“I've stayed at worse hotels... But not many.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Some of the simple things that you would expect from a hotel are seriously lacking with this Ramada. I'll number my complaints below:

1) Biggest issue for me was NO WI-FI in my room. I told the front desk and they gave me the 1-800 number to their internet provider tech support. Their advice? Just change rooms. I'm unpacked and not interested in changing rooms only to find the wi-fi doesn't work there either. Internet issue NEVER resolved during my five night stay.

2) Pool area had green "stuff" growing in the cement. Also, no pool towels? Maybe I could have brought a towel from my room but it's not often a hotel pool doesn't have a stack of towels out. No problem, though, since there were plenty of paper towels in the bathroom.

3) My balcony sliding door had no handle, inside or out. I had to use friction and slide the door open by putting my hands on the glass and then not shut it all the way so I could come back in from the balcony.

4) The balcony itself had more broken, crumbling cement than it didn't.

5) On day three, I came back to my room and found a set of sheets flopped down onto my open suitcase. My bed was made but... Were my sheets supposed to be changed? Did someone leave those there on accident? Given the cleanliness of the hotel in general, I wouldn't have been surprised to find bedbugs. But thanks for dropping the clean (?) sheets onto all my clothes. If I come home with bedbugs, I'll send the bill to Ramada.

6) Carpet in hallways was dingy, old, stained, and covered in blackened gum. My room carpet had many dark stains as well.

7) Desk staff was cold and impersonal. I don't expect a birthday party when I show up but the only flight I could come into Milwaukee on landed at 10am. Check-in was 2pm. There was NO flexibility given, not even a half-hour for me to check in. So I drove my rental car to the dollar theater and saw Men In Black 3. That's a separate bad review...

8) This may be nit-picking but... It looked like there were still Christmas lights strung up and hanging all sloppy-like from the roof. If they were just there for ambience, they looked terrible. If they WERE still Christmas lights, shame on you, Ramada. This was August.

I normally like to add positives if I'm going to say anything negative about an organization but... Yeah. The ice machine worked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

While it is a ok motel with good bedding, etc., however, it has a conference hall that it rents for local parties, which means you have to live with LOUD music till midnight. I was there this weekend and when I complaint at 11pm that there is too loud music, I was told they have a contract that the conference hall tenant can ply music till midnight and nothing we can do about it. So, you pay to sleep there but they will not care about your convenience and make you hear loud nusic till mignight! Have a good Night if you still choose to be there...

Room Tip: Try a room towards the front of the motel if you have to be there as far away from conference area...
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I really don't know where to begin. I have stayed here in years past and have been pleased with my stay. It's unbelievable how terrible it became in a few years. The woman at the front desk was comically rude. It was like candid camera or something. Our first room was full of black mold. They attempted to cover the smell with some strong cleaner that made my eyes burn. Rude front desk lady was very put out by any request to move. The carpet was so dirty my bare feet were black! The sleep number beds did not work. Our friends were staying with children. They brought food for lunches and the fridge stopped working spoiling their food. Our credit cards were double charged and rude lady failed to mention a $100.00 incidentals fee. Sat night there was crazy loud music keeping everyone awake and front desk hung up on us four times and told our friends they could just leave. You do not get the free drink coupon they advertise and when we asked the rude woman she said I'm sure some idiots at Irish Fest will be stupid enough to buy you drinks. There were not enough towels and my friend ending up cleaning the filthy rooms herself. Also there was nothing to prevent the children from just falling out the window three stories. It took an hour to get the very mediocre breakfast and impossible to get coffee and ketchup. AVOID AVOID AVOID! I don't foresee it improving anytime soon as management and staff are at best apathetic and usually rude.

Room Tip: AVOID if possible but if you must stay, AVOID first floor as it is the most moldy and dirty but also...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We booked a room at this place for last Saturday night. When we showed up we found a large party in their ballroom going on. I asked the clerk to be put as far away as possible from the noise. It was very loud. She told me that our room was ready but it wasn't far away from the hall. Actually it was about 30 feet from the back entrance to the hall and had people standing around. There had to be over 200 people inside dancing to the music. When I told her that the room location might be bad, she advised me that the party would only go on until midnight. 30 feet from our door.
I finally told her that I would check the room to see how bad it was, was given the key and went to the room. Upon opening it, a very large man got out of the bed and asked what we were doing there. She gave us an occupied room. I stormed back to the desk and was told the hotel was totally booked and we could cancel.
As I turned to leave, she looked at another customer and said "We were able to find a room for you". This was a walk-in! This place was the hotel from hell. The Bates Motel might have been more friendly! Since everything else was sold out, we had to drive 25 miles to Racine to find a room.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street at the Comfort Inn & Suites are much nicer!
Shoreview, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Where is the Health Department!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible experience from the first second of arrival to the last second of leaving. Heather at the front desk needs to be fired and never allowed to work in this field again! Overcharged for room! First room smelled of mold and God only knows what else. There with two children with Asmtha and no healthy air for them. The room we were moved to had a crack in the celling, bathroom never been washed, room was cleaned the on third night we were there. Yes, I said night!! The refigerator was broken and we lost $30. in food. The one bed did not have the remote and the other bed did not inflate properly! The bedding was a disgrace, my rags look better! I had to clean the rooms everyday by searching the floors for the housekeeping people and getting supplies! Stains on the carpet, broken picture glass frame. Air vents dusty and moldy in the bathroom. Security locks on outside doors are broken. One night the party room, outside of our window, was loud and went on until midnight! Really, put up a sound proff wall!!!! Don't eat the pizza! Toddlers can make a better pizza! I will say this, they didn't have bed bugs, at least not that I know of! Also we were charged an incidental fee per day, Who would want to steal anything and How could anymore damage really matter?

Room Tip: Go anywhere else, go quickly!!
Lindenhurst, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I thought the name Ramada held a certain standard in the industry. Apparently not anymore.
We stayed 2 nights (8/17 & 8/18/12) which was 2 nights too many. I can't even begin to list all the things that were wrong with this hotel. To summarize: workout equipment is 20 years old and doesn't work, carpet runners in the hallway are soiled and smell and the Christmas lights are still hanging from the roof. If your a vagrant, it'll be right up your alley.
If Ramada had any sense, they would either jump on this for rennovation or get their name off the building (before it's condemned).

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

ometimes I question my loyalty. Over the past 3 years, For every Milwaukee visit I have been staying at this Ramada. Lots to like:
1. Free shuttle to the airport.
2. Rooms are big and comfy.
3. Wonderful Lobby, bar, swimming pool and workout area.
4. Affordable price: You can normally get a king size room for $65 per night including all taxes.
5. The Best showers.
6. Free breakfast.

Lots to Dislike:
1. Micro size bathroom. Bathrooms are smaller than most walk in closets.
2. Slow Slow, Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is so slow, most web sites will not load.
3. Old 27 inch CRT TVs.
4. Not good customer service. This is very hit and miss. About a year ago this Ramada changed ownership. Since then customer service has taken a back seat. Better hope the front desk person is having a good day. Also, I have never seen a crankier house keeping staff.
5. Rooms. Some of the rooms have new carpets and beddings. But all rooms have the pesky, not working Selectcomfort beds. If you get an upgraded room, good, if not the room actually stinks of mold and mildew.
6. Bad clientele. This is the cheapest hotel close to the Milwaukee airport, so it has become the hangout of riff raff. On the last visit the clientele was scary. Not so good people were hanging out in the hallways. Loud music and people running in the hallways till midnight. There was a loud argument in the parking lot at 200am in the morning.

Yes, there are lots of hotel choices on 13th St. Look elsewhere for peace of mind.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 3rd floor. Overworked Housekeeping normally never gets to clean the 3rd floor roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!