“Perfect getaway and wonderful hotel/service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milwaukee River Inn

Save Saved
You added Milwaukee River Inn to your Saves list
Milwaukee River Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 N Port Washington Road, Milwaukee, WI 53212 (Formerly Hilton Milwaukee River)   |
Ranked #19 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Lindenhurst, Illinois
“Perfect getaway and wonderful hotel/service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed for an overnight getaway and to shop at Bayshore. Ate in the bar, free appetizers and nice selections of sandwiches if you don't want a full dinner by sitting in the restaurant. Paid and extra $10 for a full breakfast buffet for two which was very good and a great deal also. Beds are so comfortable we didn't want to get up in the morning.

Room Tip: We stayed in a riverview.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us! Our guests do compliment us on many items and services, our restaurant and our new bedding being citied the most!

The Anchorage is an area icon for dining, offering breakfast to hors d'oeuvres to dinner, as well as it's noted seafood selections. We do have a separate Trip Advisor listing for The Anchorage as well for your direct comments.

Additionally, new bedding in our guestrooms accent other recent enhancements such as new flat-screen TVs, in-room safes, and a complimentary WI-FI system.

We also offer complimentary shuttle service to the area businesses and attractions, including the Bayshore Town Center Mall, and are glad that it was part of your visit!

Hope to welcome you back soon!

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Superior, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I am always surprised this hotel is branded as a full Hilton and not one of the lower brands. It is one of the more decent hotels around this area, but it is still not great. Despite claims of being "recently renovated" the renovations do not extend beyond the front desk. I have been staying here intermittently for the last 14 months - at least 10 different trips. In that time the rooms are still run down, most have antiquated and useless HVAC in the window (a few rooms have the wall controls), outdated safes that take up half the closet, the rooms overall smell "stale", and none of the rooms have numbers - they still have a paper sign saying "pardon our appearance during renovation". One would think room signs would not take 18+ months to get in. The single elevator is horribly slow, there are no automatic doors so if you have your hands full you have to put something on the ground to open up two different doors and the hotel is just......dated. The restaurant is decent and they have a good happy hour in the bar. I also love the toiletries provided. If you get a king room it generally will have a fridge but the queen rooms do not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thanks for your comments here on Trip Advisor about our Hotel!

I am glad to read about your positive comments about our Hotel’s staff and our restaurant, The Anchorage. I am quite proud of these two elements of our Hotel, especially as they are well-received from the guests’ experiences while staying here!

In regards to our guestrooms and property conditions?
We have made a variety of recent enhancements to the Hilton Milwaukee River. They have included, but are not limited to items such as new 37" flat-screen TVs, the implementation of a more sophisticated, complimentary WI-FI service, new in-room guest safes, more high-definition TV channel selections, and a completely remodeled restaurant in The Anchorage. More recent completions now showcase new carpeting and wallpaper in all of our guestroom and public access hallways and corridors, upgraded Lobby and Banquet furniture, upgrades to our guestroom bedding, linens, and in-room toiletries.........and lastly new nameplates and guestroom number plaques.

The key here is 'new', as all of these additions enhance our total property, are all Hilton approved, and are all current, brand-standard models and designs.

We also use guest comments to plan for future additions, changes, and enhancements to our property, and look forward to showcasing these to you upon future visits!

Kingwood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I like this place. The people really work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay.
I checked in last week after midnight. I got ready for bed and realized that my mattress was terribly soft and old. It was too late to pack up and change rooms - the next morning I could barely get up.

The place is old, but clean. Just make sure you check in early to get a new room.

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, especially those relating to our staff members! From the kitchen to the front desk to the housekeepers, they all work very hard for our guests.

In addition to a diligent staff and a wonderful restaurant in The Anchorage, our hotel has also recently completed a number of enhancement projects, ranging from new carpeting and wallpaper in our public hallways, new in-room safes and linens, a higher capacity complimentary WIFI system, and a remodeled pool area.

A part of our enhancements also featured new mattresses and boxsprings in all of our guestrooms, part of the Hilton "Serenity Collection". With their pillow-top design, the misconception is an old, soft mattress.....when this is far from the case!

As we continue to improve on our hotel and restaurant, we hope to welcome you back here again!

Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was looking for a hotel close to Bayshore Mall because we were doing some Christmas shopping and wanted a place to relax. Maybe it was because it was a couple of days before Christmas but the service was poor. The front desk checked us in but that was it. No conversation no asking if we might need anything. The hotel was virtually empty judging by the number of cars in the parking lot. I had assumed we would get a nice room but instead got a room on the parking lot side instead of the river side. When I called to ask about a fridge in the room the only response was is that not all rooms have one. It was clean, beds were comfortable. The bathroom is really small. When you open the door it just misses the toilet and from the sink to the tub is less than 3 feet. There is no way 2 people can be in there at the same time. Still based on the other hotels available within a mile of this one this is the one to stay in.

• Stayed December 2012
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for providing your comments from your Holiday stay! They are very appreciated, as they help us to continue to improve on all levels.

All of our guestrooms recently received enhancements, ranging from new flat screen TVs and bed linens, to in-room safes and a state-of-the-art, complimentary WIFI system. We hope that you enjoyed these upgrades!

Our hotel also features guestrooms that either face the Milwaukee River banks to the north, or our parking lot to the south that then is adjacent to classic, 1930's era office buildings. We have received compliments in the past from guests facing either side because of the unique views, including to the south and the stylish buildings, and apologize if you thought less of your vantage.

I have also addressed the responsiveness of our Front Desk staff members, assuring you that corrective steps have already been made since your holiday visit.

We look forward to showcaseing these items to you for your next Milwaukee-area visit!

Regards,

Hilton Milwaukee River
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed 3 day Weekend! Arrived before Noon for Family Funeral in Shorewood. 2 Young Ladies cheerfully immediately checked me in. Been traveling since 2:30am... Really appreciated room was ready. Headed for Anchorage Rest. Ray, Anthony, Brian, Dani, Tammy & Kevin could not possibly have given better service! Food was outstanding! Had Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Nt. Sandwich, Brunch & Cocktails all in one weekend here. ALL Fabulous, and Brian handled entire Bar full of us after long Reception. I have over 30 yrs experience in Fine Dining, Private Club Management, in Aspen & Cherry Hills, Colorado, besides Chicago prior to moving out West. 10 yrs Airline experience. I have travelled from Rome, Paris, Nice, Ireland, Hawaii, Carribean and throughout USA, coast to coast. The Staff at this hotel do an excellent job and really care! Hotel newly remodeled. Beautiful view of the River, Quiet, Clean, Exceptional Service. Needed a ride to Bayshore Mall, Randy immediately offered to drive me. Cannot beat the F&B in the Anchorage... Thxs Ray and Uncle Coyne Thxs you too for taking great care of over 40 members of his Family during such a terrible loss of his young (33) grandson. Ellen, Ft. Myers, FL Definitely Returning!!

Room Tip: Ask if at all possible when booking for a River Side Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments following your family's stay at the Hilton Milwaukee River! All very appreciated!

We do pride ourselves on the many features offered here at our Hotel, and you did cite two of the primary ones.....our unique restaurant, The Anchorage, and our dedicated staff!

The Anchorage is celebrating over 35 years of dining excellence in the area, noted primarily for its seafood creations. These now accent the new addition of Allen Brothers steaks, as well as the pastoral river views.

Their staff also makes dining here a special event, and you noted many of our fine employees and managers. (The Anchorage also has its own dedicated listing here on Trip Advisor, and I invite you to also comment directly there too, especially to assist future dining patrons as well as to reference these staff members assisting you directly on their restaurant listing.)

I realize that the primary purpose of your visit was for a berevement gathering, and am glad to read that our entire staff assisted in a way to allieviate some of the event's concerns. I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back soon for much better circumstances!

Regards,

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stay at the hotel during my business trip to JCI facility. It was a nice stay with a great service. Apart the hotel is very close to JCI buildings there is Anchorage restaurant where you can have a breakfast bufet for 15 USD. In addition I received as a silver Hilton member special voucher for each day to buy one get one dring for free. Good standard with all comfort that Hilton family brings with.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Happy New Year, and thank you for providing your comments about the Hilton Milwaukee River here on Trip Advisor! Very appreciated!

We pride ourselves on high levels of customer service, as well as our signature restaurant, The Anchorage. (We have a separate, dedicated Trip Advisor listing as well for the restaurant, should you care to make direct comments there as well.) I am glad to read that in the course of your business travels, you have enjoyed both!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stay at this hotel several times a year. It is always a good experience. This last stay was for a family event. When we packed out the room I inadvertently left my chiropractically designed back board that is wonderful when my back hurts.

It took me a few days to realize that I had left it back in the room. I then immediately called the hotel. At first no one knew what I was talking about as it is an odd appearing board to anyone who is unfamiliar with what this might be. I started looking online and it was no longer available at any price and there weren't even any on ebay. I was very upset at the situation.

Two weeks later I received a phone call from one of the hotel managers that she had located the board and it was already being shipped back to me! I offered to pay the shipping and was informed me that "it had already been taken care of."

How refreshing to have such a caring staff. The service we experienced throughout the rest of our stay was also excellent. We stay at this property at every opportunity and am doubly delighted that it has not been just a one time experience with such wonderful guest services.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Happy New Year!
And thank you very much for providing your comments following your stay with us at the Hilton Milwaukee River!

I'm glad that we have earned your loyalty in becoming your preferred Milwaukee-area hotel for your visits. But I am more please to read of your comments about our staff members!

Hotels can vary in size, amenities, and the like, but the true measure are the levels of our customer service that the Hilton Milwaukee River provides!

We hope that your back gets better, and equally look forward to your next visit here!

Hilton Milwaukee River & The Anchorage

Been to Milwaukee River Inn? Share your experiences!