“Check in early” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Milwaukee River Inn

Save Saved
You added Milwaukee River Inn to your Saves list
Milwaukee River Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 N Port Washington Road, Milwaukee, WI 53212 (Formerly Hilton Milwaukee River)   |
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Kingwood, Texas
“Check in early”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I like this place. The people really work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay.
I checked in last week after midnight. I got ready for bed and realized that my mattress was terribly soft and old. It was too late to pack up and change rooms - the next morning I could barely get up.

The place is old, but clean. Just make sure you check in early to get a new room.

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments, especially those relating to our staff members! From the kitchen to the front desk to the housekeepers, they all work very hard for our guests.

In addition to a diligent staff and a wonderful restaurant in The Anchorage, our hotel has also recently completed a number of enhancement projects, ranging from new carpeting and wallpaper in our public hallways, new in-room safes and linens, a higher capacity complimentary WIFI system, and a remodeled pool area.

A part of our enhancements also featured new mattresses and boxsprings in all of our guestrooms, part of the Hilton "Serenity Collection". With their pillow-top design, the misconception is an old, soft mattress.....when this is far from the case!

As we continue to improve on our hotel and restaurant, we hope to welcome you back here again!

Hilton Milwaukee River & The Anchorage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was looking for a hotel close to Bayshore Mall because we were doing some Christmas shopping and wanted a place to relax. Maybe it was because it was a couple of days before Christmas but the service was poor. The front desk checked us in but that was it. No conversation no asking if we might need anything. The hotel was virtually empty judging by the number of cars in the parking lot. I had assumed we would get a nice room but instead got a room on the parking lot side instead of the river side. When I called to ask about a fridge in the room the only response was is that not all rooms have one. It was clean, beds were comfortable. The bathroom is really small. When you open the door it just misses the toilet and from the sink to the tub is less than 3 feet. There is no way 2 people can be in there at the same time. Still based on the other hotels available within a mile of this one this is the one to stay in.

• Stayed December 2012
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for providing your comments from your Holiday stay! They are very appreciated, as they help us to continue to improve on all levels.

All of our guestrooms recently received enhancements, ranging from new flat screen TVs and bed linens, to in-room safes and a state-of-the-art, complimentary WIFI system. We hope that you enjoyed these upgrades!

Our hotel also features guestrooms that either face the Milwaukee River banks to the north, or our parking lot to the south that then is adjacent to classic, 1930's era office buildings. We have received compliments in the past from guests facing either side because of the unique views, including to the south and the stylish buildings, and apologize if you thought less of your vantage.

I have also addressed the responsiveness of our Front Desk staff members, assuring you that corrective steps have already been made since your holiday visit.

We look forward to showcaseing these items to you for your next Milwaukee-area visit!

Regards,

Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed 3 day Weekend! Arrived before Noon for Family Funeral in Shorewood. 2 Young Ladies cheerfully immediately checked me in. Been traveling since 2:30am... Really appreciated room was ready. Headed for Anchorage Rest. Ray, Anthony, Brian, Dani, Tammy & Kevin could not possibly have given better service! Food was outstanding! Had Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Nt. Sandwich, Brunch & Cocktails all in one weekend here. ALL Fabulous, and Brian handled entire Bar full of us after long Reception. I have over 30 yrs experience in Fine Dining, Private Club Management, in Aspen & Cherry Hills, Colorado, besides Chicago prior to moving out West. 10 yrs Airline experience. I have travelled from Rome, Paris, Nice, Ireland, Hawaii, Carribean and throughout USA, coast to coast. The Staff at this hotel do an excellent job and really care! Hotel newly remodeled. Beautiful view of the River, Quiet, Clean, Exceptional Service. Needed a ride to Bayshore Mall, Randy immediately offered to drive me. Cannot beat the F&B in the Anchorage... Thxs Ray and Uncle Coyne Thxs you too for taking great care of over 40 members of his Family during such a terrible loss of his young (33) grandson. Ellen, Ft. Myers, FL Definitely Returning!!

Room Tip: Ask if at all possible when booking for a River Side Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments following your family's stay at the Hilton Milwaukee River! All very appreciated!

We do pride ourselves on the many features offered here at our Hotel, and you did cite two of the primary ones.....our unique restaurant, The Anchorage, and our dedicated staff!

The Anchorage is celebrating over 35 years of dining excellence in the area, noted primarily for its seafood creations. These now accent the new addition of Allen Brothers steaks, as well as the pastoral river views.

Their staff also makes dining here a special event, and you noted many of our fine employees and managers. (The Anchorage also has its own dedicated listing here on Trip Advisor, and I invite you to also comment directly there too, especially to assist future dining patrons as well as to reference these staff members assisting you directly on their restaurant listing.)

I realize that the primary purpose of your visit was for a berevement gathering, and am glad to read that our entire staff assisted in a way to allieviate some of the event's concerns. I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back soon for much better circumstances!

Regards,

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stay at the hotel during my business trip to JCI facility. It was a nice stay with a great service. Apart the hotel is very close to JCI buildings there is Anchorage restaurant where you can have a breakfast bufet for 15 USD. In addition I received as a silver Hilton member special voucher for each day to buy one get one dring for free. Good standard with all comfort that Hilton family brings with.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Happy New Year, and thank you for providing your comments about the Hilton Milwaukee River here on Trip Advisor! Very appreciated!

We pride ourselves on high levels of customer service, as well as our signature restaurant, The Anchorage. (We have a separate, dedicated Trip Advisor listing as well for the restaurant, should you care to make direct comments there as well.) I am glad to read that in the course of your business travels, you have enjoyed both!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stay at this hotel several times a year. It is always a good experience. This last stay was for a family event. When we packed out the room I inadvertently left my chiropractically designed back board that is wonderful when my back hurts.

It took me a few days to realize that I had left it back in the room. I then immediately called the hotel. At first no one knew what I was talking about as it is an odd appearing board to anyone who is unfamiliar with what this might be. I started looking online and it was no longer available at any price and there weren't even any on ebay. I was very upset at the situation.

Two weeks later I received a phone call from one of the hotel managers that she had located the board and it was already being shipped back to me! I offered to pay the shipping and was informed me that "it had already been taken care of."

How refreshing to have such a caring staff. The service we experienced throughout the rest of our stay was also excellent. We stay at this property at every opportunity and am doubly delighted that it has not been just a one time experience with such wonderful guest services.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Happy New Year!
And thank you very much for providing your comments following your stay with us at the Hilton Milwaukee River!

I'm glad that we have earned your loyalty in becoming your preferred Milwaukee-area hotel for your visits. But I am more please to read of your comments about our staff members!

Hotels can vary in size, amenities, and the like, but the true measure are the levels of our customer service that the Hilton Milwaukee River provides!

We hope that your back gets better, and equally look forward to your next visit here!

Westminster, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Who would have expected to find a gem like this in the outskirts of Milwaukee? Beautiful facility in the middle of redecorating...WONDERFUL seafood in the restaurant...with great wait staff...and very helpful and pleasant staff in all other areas. This property has easy access to the highway. It is a great place to stay when you are in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
glimmertwin65, General Manager at Milwaukee River Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments about both our Hotel and our restaurant! They are appreciated!

Combined with our dedicated staff members, we are very proud of our levels of service, of our unique location that is close enough to Downtown or the Bayshore Town Center Mall yet rural enough with a river-side locale, and of our numerous, recent enhancements such as new TVs and carpeting.

Most of all, though, we are especially proud of our restaurant, The Anchorage! It also received a number of recent enhancements, from menu to decor, and is certainly not your standard hotel restaurant! (The Anchorage equally has a dedicated Trip Advisor site should you also care to place direct comments there as well.)

I do invite you back soon for your next lodging and dining trip!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

And I would have given this hotel four stars had the restaurant staff been the slightest bit happy to have customers. I was with three other business associates and really felt like we were a bother. I looked around at other diners and could see they weren't feeling very welcomed either. This is such a contrast to big city hotels where the competition for business is tough. The meal itself was very good although a bit pricey. That just goes without saying at hotel restaurants.

Now on to the rooms. They were clean, updated and had nice furnishings. The complimentary toiletry items were of a higher quality than what I usually find. The reception staff was competent and courteous. Plenty of parking was available and it is free.

As I said I would stay again at this Hilton as the rooms are nice and the area around the hotel is picturesque with the river and city parks right there.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments here on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay!

I was pleased to read about many of your positive experiences at our Hotel and restaurant, The Anchorage. We have made numerous enhancement and upgrades to our property, and with the upgraded toiletries, complimentary weekday hors d'oeuvres reception, and repaved parking lot, you experienced many of them.

But I can assure you that we will strive to earn that 4th star in your review as you mentioned within areas of our restaurant. That certainly is not indicative of the levels of service, quality of food, or uniqueness of ambiance that is our collective goal.

The Anchorage equally received many upgrades including a new, contemporary decor and revamped menus, and the staff does have to be to the task for our guests.

That said, I look forward to welcoming you back soon for that 4th star, showing you that your recent dining experience was an anomaly, and not the norm.

Hilton Milwaukee River

Been to Milwaukee River Inn? Share your experiences!