“Good stay at the Doubletree” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Manchester, England
“Good stay at the Doubletree”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this Doubletree for the duration of the Bead and Button Show (and a few more days besides) and I was extremely happy overall with the hotel and staff. I would say that the location is not that great because there tends to be a bit of 'mugging' going on outside by people begging for money and after you've given several times a day this tends to get a bit much, and because of that I was not so happy wandering around on my own after dark in the area but that is out of the hotel's control.
My room was always spotless though I was a bit disconcerted to find that the maid had decided that the teabags I had brought from the UK in a bag were where for some reason I might be storing old used coffee bags, and had added all the old coffee bags to my tea thereby rendering my tea totally useless (next time I will hide the stuff).
Other than that, I can honestly say I was very happy.
The front desk staff were always there to help and as a single female traveller visiting from outside the country it made a big difference to have people saying hello, good morning and welcome back as and when I left the building.
I used the restaurant just once, but what I had was fine, no complaints - though the restaurant was eerily empty. Parking and driving to the location of the hotel is easy (even for a Brit!) and I do believe the parking valets shared the same sort of relief as I did each time I made it back to the car park with the car in one complete piece. Valet parking worked perfectly, it was not a pain at all to wait a few moments for one of the guys to bring the car down from wherever they'd put it once I left it with them - there seemed no expectation of tips as when they were offered they were accepted, but with some surprise (maybe that was because a British person was offering a tip!).
There are a couple of little mini-mart type shops nearby that have scant food and drink offerings but are ok for stocking up with milk etc. There is also a Starbucks just around the corner. I'd recommend anyone staying at the Doubletree take a short trip with their car to the Milwaukee Public Market to buy some yummy stuff to stock their in-room fridges with. There was always tea and coffee in the room - a microwave and the aforementioned fridge swung the balance for me when I was deciding between hotels in the area as I knew there would be days I would be so busy I would not have chance to go out to eat.
Its not in the best of areas but the staff do go out of their way to look after their customers - I always felt safe inside the hotel. As long as you are aware of your situation at all times and remain focused on keeping yourself and your belongings safe whilst walking around after dark and exercise common sense I am fairly sure Doubletree customers would be fine. Daylight hours were generally OK.
I'm fairly sure I'd stay at the Doubletree again when I go to the Bead and Button Show next year, its a great base. I did have the opportunity of checking out a couple of the other hotels in the area whilst I was attending classes and the Doubletree compares favourably. Their best asset is their lovely staff at this location.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator at the ends of corridors tend to be quieter. Obviously.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MilwaukeeGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. It would seem that you were able to become quite familiar with Milwaukee while you were here. We appreciate all the great feedback on our staff and our facility. I do apologize for inconvenience caused while you were with us regarding items in your room. The Bead and Button show is a favorite for us for you are the first convention of the summer and we enjoy having you. We do hope to see you again next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent three nights at this Doubletree and we were pleased with our stay. The price was reasonable. The hotel provides free internet but no breakfast (unless you want to save your cookie till the next morning). Valet parking is $15/night which isn't bad for downtown in a large city. Nearby lots charge $12 day but with no in/out privilege. The location is excellent. It's diagonally across the street from the convention center and a short walk to the river. There are many good restaurants within walking distance. We hardly used our car during the time we were there. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave. Other than the beds being a little too soft, the room was comfortable and it was clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again. Be sure to visit the Pabst Mansion and the art museum.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MilwaukeeGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
We appreciate the wonderful feedback about your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. It is alway great to hear when our guests have a good experience and that they got to enjoy some of the attractions that Milwaukee has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to share your travels. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Greenville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

the people in the valet parking where extremely friendly. every one of the staff that we met where polite and had a nice smile. they greeted you before you you had the chance to say anything to them first. they all where very sincere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Our valet staff is our first impressions and I am so glad that they were able leave one with you. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff and your comments. We do hope to see you again in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Clean, comfortable, hotel staff very friendly and helpful, would definitely recommend. The restaurant was clean, food was very good. Location was excellent, walking distance to many stores and restaurants. Room was clean, beds comfortable, and service was excellent too. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to meet all you needs and expectations. We look forward to future visits.
Simsbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We needed a place to stay close to the Harley Davidson Museum and were very happy we chose this hotel.

The location is great. Close to many good restaurants and easy to get to from the museum.

The front desk staff was fabulous and helpful in making recommendations about where to eat dinner and their suggestions were spot on.

The room was clean and comfortable.

We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was unbelievable. One of the best breakfast buffets we have had in a long, long time and very reasonably priced too.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Green Features: Loved that they gave you the opportunity to recycle your bottles and papers within your room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MilwaukeeGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Wow...thank you for the kind words. We appreciate your feed back and the fact that you took the time to write about your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. It is wonderful to hear that you found our location to be great and that our staff was helpful. Please come back and visit us again in the future.
STREETSBORO, OHIO, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

desk was well staffed at check in time. Desk staff was nice and helpful with credit card issues and local information. Building was maintained and clean. Hotel operations was considerate toward guests. Hotel location is great for downtown walking. Typically pricy for a downtown hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

It is wonderful to hear that our staff was able to be of assistance while you were staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and sharing you thoughts and comments. Please come back and visit us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed her while attending Summerfest. It was nice because the shuttle bus was right outside the front door. The check-in process was smooth and everyone was very friendly. The room was small, but perfect for what we needed. Everything was very clean and even with all the Summerfest guests, the hotel was quiet. The bed was very comfortable. We ordered room service and our order was not correct. We mentioned it to the front desk at checkout. The restaurant manager came out to personally apologize and even comped our parking. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for the great feed back on your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of Milwaukee's transportation while attending the festivites in Milwaukee. We appreciate you taking your time to share your experience. Please come back and visit us soon.