“Nice downtown hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice downtown hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a nice boutique-feel hotel in the downtown area with restaurants and bars in walking distance. Our king suite was huge - basically the size of a studio apartment, with a small hallway leading to a sofa area with a TV, and then the bedroom area is around the corner separated by a wall. There was a very well stocked (and pricey) mini bar that we didn't use, and a very comfy bathroom with a deep soaking tub and a spa type shower. The best part of the shower was that it had an adjustable height shower head, which was wonderful because so many hotels make tall guests crouch under a way too low shower. Everything had a very nice upscale feel - the room was clean, the bed was super comfortable, and so were the bathrobes. The downside of the hotel is that it was loud. We were on the 3rd floor, and heard plenty of street level noise, plus we could hear music vibrations either from the bar down the street or the hotel ballroom or restaurant. And if you're staying here for the "historic" feel, there really wasn't anything particularly historic about the hotel - it had a very 1980's feel, with a turquoise and salmon color scheme. The only art deco details I noticed were on the display cases and mailbox across from the elevators in the lobby. The rest was a very nice, but modern, hotel.

The one big question we had was about street parking, which the desk staff couldn't seem to answer. We didn't see any signs saying you can't park overnight on the street, and the meters said they don't start until 8AM Monday, so we found a space on the street just a couple of blocks away, and parked Saturday through Sunday night. Sunday night we parked in a lot at Broadway and Wells for $5, which was a lot cheaper than the $27 valet parking offered by the hotel. I'm sure they want to steer us toward valet parking, but it would have been nice if the desk staff could have given us the info about other parking options.

Dear Shell9903,

Thank you very much for sharing your Hotel Metro experience with us on Trip Advisor! I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us! I sincerely apologize that the front desk agent was not able to answer your questions about parking.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and we hope to see you on your next visit to Milwaukee!

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Douglassville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The staff was welcoming and helpful. Our room, a suite actually, was very clean and well decorated. The roof top garden Zen space was very cool and afforded a wonderful view of the city. The bar was fun. The restaurant served an excellent and reasonably priced breakfast. I would stay here again!

Dear DouglassvilleDonna,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I am glad to hear that you had a great stay!

We hope to see you on your next visit to Milwaukee!

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Fabulous location in the historic third Ward. Walking distance from theaters, restaurants, bars, the Riverwalk and River St. Updated and clean. All of the staff was very professional and friendly. Rooms were very clean and nicely equipped. Mini fridge was fully stocked, mini bar had several options. soaps, lotions and bath crystals were Aveda brand. Plenty of large clean fluffy towels. Tiled shower. Bed was very soft with fluffy pillows and clean bedding. Attached restaurant and bar was very classy. Service was top-notch. Ate breakfast there and was very impressed with quality of food. Rooftop patio lounge was beautiful, seven floors up. Very clean whirlpool hot tub, sauna and small (but nicely equipped) fitness center. My only complaint about the entire stay was it was very difficult to keep the room cool. We will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob L,

Thank you so much for the great review on Trip Advisor! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us!

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Milwaukee!

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Hotel rooms were huge! Very nice, clean and beds comfy.

The bell staff was on their game! It was a great experience overall.

It's an Art Deco theme, refreshing and different than the norm.

I would recommend valet parking, too much hassle to find parking on your own.

Stayed March 2014
Dear JenRay1980,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our hotel to be clean and friendly! We do offer valet parking and our valet staff is also the bellman.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you during your next visit to Milwaukee!

Racine, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here for the night of 5-3-14. We made our reservation over the phone, directly to the hotel, for the best deal among the other searches we used. That said, upon arrival our SUV was wisked away to parking by a very outgoing and professional valet. (We used the service again to go out/return from diner and when checking out in the morning). At the desk there was a little room available, due to cleaning, (or not?) glitch, but it all was quickly sorted out. Desk staff was helpful, professional. Took our luggage up to our room and was immediately struck by the large size (550sf) of the room. Large windows allowed ample light to enter the room. The room layout was unusual for a well seasoned traveler, but it works out nicely. My wife stayed here when it first opened, about 7-8 years ago. It was my first stay here. She commented that it was starting to show some wear, compared to when it was new. To be expected, I suppose. The bathroom was very nice, same for the comfortable bed and up scale bedding. A air purifier was in the room. Not bothered by any allergies while there. 2 large screen TV's. Comfortable chairs and couch. We had breakfast room service on Sunday morning (5-4-14) and I must say it was about the fastest room service we ever had! Food was good and plenty of coffee provided. My only complaint would be that the rooftop zen area seemed off limits as it was rented out Saturday night and Sunday morning. Would have liked to gone up there and looked around but understand it was rented out to others. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: All we really cared about was the rate/night. And we got the best deal by calling the hotel.
Dear JohnMountPleasantWis,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor! Feedback good or bad certainly helps us to improve. I am very happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful! I am sorry that Zen on 7 was closed during a private event. However, the fitness center, salt water hot tub, and sauna are always available to guests from 6am to midnight.

Thank you so much for staying with us and please visit us again on your next visit to Milwaukee!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This property was selected for us by a "local". It is an older property but they have done wonders with it regarding upgrades and renovations. It appears as they took what used to be two individual rooms and made them into one suite. Very comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful, however they did miss my wakeup call which was a little unsettling.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear fgcook,

We appreciate your comments and certainly thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Thank you for choosing Hotel Metro for your visit to Milwaukee! We hope to see you again when your travel brings you to our area!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I made a reservation with Hotel Metro for my wedding night. I received two confirming emails for two different nights, so I called back to make sure they had my reservation. They said someone had likely made an error so they sent me to emails. When it came to my wedding night, I called to confirm and let them know that my check in would be late. They said that they had my reservation and it was fine. I get to Hotel Metro and wait 10 minutes to get my room number. When I get to my room, it was not the room that I reserved. I try to call down to the front desk but the phone in the room did not work at all. We tried everything to get it to work. I called using my cell phone down to the front desk and asked why the Hotel would check me into a room that was different from my reservation. I was told that he did not know what kind of room I booked. I then just decided it was better to leave. Hotel Metro had no other rooms. it was clear they overbooked their facility to make as much money as they could and they wanted it to be my fault for their error. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
April T, Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear LM142014,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with us. I am truly sorry about the mishap that occurred on your special day. Please contact me at the hotel at 414.225.3254 so we can discuss and work out a resolution for you.

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!