“"Above & beyond" service, super friendly, overly accomodating” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Metro to your Saves list
Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202   |
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
“"Above & beyond" service, super friendly, overly accomodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I was also visiting MKE for the triathlon national championship, along with 10 of my teammates. The previous reviewer listed a lot of the same things we loved about it: proximity to Lake Michigan/Discovery World, restaurants, running paths, clean & spacious rooms, and it can not be overstated how amazingly accomodating and friendly the entire staff at the hotel was. I am so impressed by the high level of service and I will absolutely be staying here again next year! :) Also, the cruiser bikes that the hotel had available were so much fun!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
FAIRFAX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed 2 nights a week ago (Aug 9 & 10, 2013) at this hotel, for a triathlon at Lake Michigan. EVERYTHING about my stay here was fabulous. First -- excellent service. Friendly people, very helpful, and made me feel very welcome. Second -- the hotel design & decor: FUNKY & COOL! Love the colors, the feel, the cleanliness and the high funky factor. Reminded me of my beloved Portland Oregon boutique hotels :) Third -- awesome food! I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and loved it. Terrific service at the restaurant, and healthy, tasty food. Fourth -- location. We were half mile from Lake Michigan, the Art Museum and Discovery World. If you're a swimmer, runner or cyclist, you are 1/2 mile from some great workout locations! But the hotel has a GREAT little workout facility if you'd rather be indoors :) We're also a few blocks from the River Walk, which was beautiful at sunset. Lots of little restaurants and lovely views. Only one note of caution about this hotel: if you have a room facing Mason Street, there's a bar a block away where motorcyclists without mufflers love to party, 'til 2am. So if you're wanting to get a quiet night's sleep, try to stay away from the rooms on that side of the hotel. Despite the noise, I would not have moved to a different hotel. I LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Last minute booked trip to Milwaukee and had no idea where to start with hotels as I'd not been in a good 15 years. Hotel Metro was a lovely overall experience.

Staff were really exceptional. Booked room directly by phone with Chelsea who was accommodating and friendly. Dealt with Vanya at the Front Desk who was personable and had good local recommendations. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant the next morning and Sara was just overall great - amicable and efficient.

The room - on the 6th floor (609, I believe) was nicely decorated and a really interesting space; I very much appreciated that it didn't look like a typical hotel room, both in layout and also because of its art deco style. The ceiling has seen better days (the building is definitely showing its age) but it didn't bother me. Bed and pillow are very, very soft - so good if you're into that, perhaps not the best, if you're not.

The hot tub, fitness room and Zen Garden on the 7th floor were also a plus. Nobody else around so we had the place to ourselves.

Within walking distance to the Art Museum and a bunch of great restaurants, also the summer trolley service stops right across the street.

Think I would have had an issue paying $500 for one night and a meal, but as we paid much, much less than this, I was very satisfied with the value.

Would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 609 does not face the street, so while it does not have a nice view, it is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff was great, but when I reserved the room I had a package option which wasn't noted anywhere. Good thing I had my receipt to prove it, but then our time was wasted because of it.

We ate at the hotel in the evening and the food was excellent, but a hair in the appetizer wasn't very appetizing.

While taking a shower I noticed some black spots starting about eye level and up. I thought maybe it was just the coloration of the tiles, but when I wiped with a washcloth I realized it was mildew or mold. In either case it was disgusting and not okay for the staff to only clean half of the shower.

This hotel has potential if only they would do the last little bit of what they should be doing. When we spend $500 for a nights stay and a meal in the same place we expect it to be at least good if not great. I hope for the sake of others staying here that my experience was just a series of unfortunate events.

Our last interaction with this hotel was the best. Upon checkout we asked where a good seafood restaurant was. The manager told us a location and was right. It was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Service: I'd like to start this review by saying we were staying at Hotel Metro 2 nights for a wedding. I called the day I received the invite with the room code. The person who answered the phone was incredibly unhelpful and uncaring. It set a very bad tone for me. I emailed the hotel and requested someone call me to discuss my reservation but no one ever called. Having said that, when we arrived, it took a lot to get rid of my negative impression. But the staff while we were there turned out to be outstanding. The valets/doormen were especially nice along with Angie at the front desk. Although we did have to call several times to get a rollaway and extra blankets - they were nice about it.

Room: We had a king suite (no fireplace) that faced the city, though the windows are incredibly old and thick so it was hard to see out anyway. No fireplace meant we had a full length sofa, which was good since we had 4 ppl in the room. The room had many tables/chairs, lots of space until we put the rollaway in there. Nice TV's, good privacy wall. A/C was good, full minibar that we didn't use.

Bathroom: Big bathroom but the tub takes up most of the space - not much counter space and a small shower. Bathtub was nice, good warm water and Aveda products including bath salts. Robes were quite plush.

Food: We ate breakfast twice, approx $10 per entree for yummy pancakes and meat, though it took a long time to come out of the kitchen. Room service was the same price. Wedding food, especially steak was delicious. Again, wedding service staff was top notch.

Pool/Zen on 7: Access floor 7 via floor 6 stairway and come out to an indoor whirlpool (open 5 am - midnight but no swimming pool) and sauna, indoor bar, indoor workout room, but outdoor rooftop walkway/patio around the perimeter which has nice views.

Noise: Prior reviewers mentioned the noise. Indeed loud music next door til late on weekends but on the 4th floor, with the A/C on medium fan we barely heard it.

Location: Adjacent to Pfister, closest place for snacks and pop is Metro Mart about 4 blocks away. Lakefront and Discovery World are walkable.

Honestly, if it weren't for that inital poor reservationist, this might have been a 5 star review.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mom, sister and I came here for a girls' weekend a few months back. The hotel itself is located in a fabulous spot, near some great restaurants, music venues and fun shopping. The style of the inside is art deco and really fun, with interesting room layouts. The bathroom was really impressive, with a soaking tub the size of a small pool and some very high-end toiletries to help make our stay that much better. The mattresses were very comfy, and there was ample storage space between the closet and drawers. The minibar area was well stocked, although we were bummed out that they really skimped on the coffee: when it's obviously a suite meant to sleep far more than just two people, at least let there be enough coffee kurig pods/fixin packs for each person to have a cup of coffee-because the fact that there was a Kurig was such an opulent touch-it would have been nice for us each to have been able to enjoy a cup of coffee. That, and the air conditioner is SUPER loud. Luckily, I'm a white noise sleeper, so that was fine for me, but I could see a lighter sleeper being very put off by that.
The staff couldn't have been nicer. And the hotel has this darling british-style cab that you can have take you anywhere/pick you up within a certain mile radius. We had concert tickets that night and it sure was nice to have them drop us right out front and pick us up after!
The restaurant located on the premises is fabulous for both breakfast and dinner.
I'd come back in a heartbeat. What a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I love this hotel! Staff is friendly, rooms are huge, design is beautiful, and the restaurant is good. It's almost as nice as being at home (well maybe better since I don't have to do any of the cooking or cleaning!) Very comfortable! Highly suggested!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!