“Great location and nice-size suites” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Western Springs, Illinois
“Great location and nice-size suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This specific location within downtown Milwaukee is great - tons of cute little restaurants in the surrounding blocks, short walk to Water Street, all of the major venues, lakefront. It was only a few dollars more for a king suite - which was actually a really nice space - separate living room area (with a gas fireplace) and a large bathroom with a large tub with jets and a separate shower (and little perks like the heat lamp and towel warmer).
Decor was a little cheezy, but being in a historic building makes up for it.
The attached bar has a nice happy hour deal. Room service ends early and is limited. We got back later and wanted dessert - so the restaurant sent some up - they looked great but didn't taste great - so if you have a sweet tooth like us I would suggest picking up something at one of the restaurants on the block (there was was a wine / chocolate place - what were we thinking passing that up??)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Great Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Is this the absolute finest place to stay in Milwaukee? Probably not but it all depend on what you are looking for so make sure it is right for you before you go. At the end of the day its the responsibility of traveler to make sure where ever he is staying is right for him so do your research. My buddy and I crossed Lake Michigan on the Lake Express car ferry on our Harleys to visit the Harley Museum in downtown Milwaukee and we stayed here for one reason and one reason only. This is thee "only" hotel in downtown with both a sauna and Jacuzzi. That's the only reason we stayed here because after riding 300 miles on a Harley these things are essential. The hotel is in a prime location with in walking distance or a very short drive to any attraction in downtown. You can walk to the river front for dining or even to the lake and the Harley Museum is just 10 minutes away. In my opinion I think that the reason some may not like this hotel is because it is not a traditional historic hotel like the Pfister next door. The rooms in this hotel are all modern art deco and the rooms have a lofty feel to them. Check in took about 25 minutes cause the girl working the front desk was there alone and she was too busy taking new reservations over the phone leaving the guests in front of her waiting. The room itself was clean and tidy and lots of towels and a nice mini bar that was well stocked. The beds and pillows were good and we got a good nights rest. There is a nice lounge and restaurant in the hotel lobby but we didn't eat there but the drinks were fine. The hotel is definatley over priced at $280.00 per night but it had what we wanted. A better choice would have probably been the Pfister next door but I would not have had my sauna or Jacuzzi. There are some less priced hotels in town so do your research. If you don't mind a 10 minute drive from downtown the Holiday Inn Express is great. Knowing what I know now I would stay just outside of downtown at the Holiday Inn Express. The short driver is worth the savings and the hotel is much newer.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Mason Street can be quite loud. Inside rooms are more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mequon, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I rarely feel compelled to write a review but this stay really was unimpressive, especially based on the Metro's high-end image and price. Despite an advanced reservation in which I was assured a certain style of suite layout, we ended up in a "conference room" suite, so most of the space in the room was devoted to a potential business meeting, despite my booking a romance package - which made no sense. (I was offered a $25 restaurant voucher when I brought this room issue up with the front desk staff.) The room faced a parking garage over an alley and the "beeping" of a service truck at 4:30am was obviously a negative. Despite an advanced request for their antique cab ride to dinner, I was called 30 minutes prior and told there was a conflict and they needed their shuttle for other guests, so because I couldn't rush down right away for the shuttle I just ended up taking my own car to dinner. The next morning (Sunday) the desk clerk had no suggestions on a local church and just pointed us to the computer in the lobby if we wanted to use it. (Not the service you expect from a "high-end" hotel.) The final straws were financial as they charged my bank card twice for the room hold and I had to get my bank involved to correct the error. There were also mistaken charges from the mini-bar which had to be resolved, probably because house-keeping didn't account for the prior guest usage of items which were posted to our stay.
The Metro is a very unique property with lots of potential - but without the proper service levels and attention to detail it will unfortunately continue to disappoint discerning guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This 'boutique' hotel in the heart of Milwaukee's location is its most redeeming quality. I spent a few nights here over Memorial Day and found the rooms to lack any true aesthetic appeal. The bathroom was large and the amenities provided were of above average quality, but the furniture and bed were not the most comfortable.

The staff wasn't the friendliest and though they weren't rude or off putting, they rarely if ever went out of they way to make our stay more comfortable. Normally I would be quite indifferent to this, however for a hotel that bills itself as high end, and charges accordingly, should be significantly better than this.

The whole stay felt underwhelming and unimpressive. I've paid less for much better experiences in cities all over the world...next time I find myself in Milwaukee ill look elsewhere for accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013
Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Metro for a wedding, which was also at the hotel. We got there early (about noon) hoping that they could let us check in early to dress for the wedding and they were terrific about finding us a room. The hotel and the room were gorgeous! Very Art Deco. There was a huge bath and a separate shower. The room was large with the bed set cleverly apart from the sitting area. The temperature was good, the bed was comfortable. It was very quiet.

It was a quick walk to the Lake and a quick walk to the River Walk. It would be the perfect location for a weekend break in Milwaukee.

We used the valet service – they were also great about getting us in and out quickly as we headed to the church for the wedding. The staff was very friendly and accommodating – seeming to take just an extra half step to make sure we were happy with everything.

I also thought they did a nice job with the wedding. The space was elegant. And the night finished up with pizza in the upstairs bar – as prearranged by the couple; such a nice space and way to end the event.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was in town for a wedding hosted by friends. My wife was part of the wedding party and the hotel staff allowed us to check in early to help with the ceremony. Prior to leaving to check in, my wife was involved in an accident and had to go to the ER.

After she was discharged from the hospital, Hotel Metro staff allowed us to use their wheelchair. This was extremely helpful due to the fact that she could not put any weight on her bad leg.

The wedding ceremony was conducted on the rooftop that provided a fantastic display of downtown.

Later that night, Elsie at the front desk assisted us by providing extra bags of ice to bring down some of the swelling.

The next morning the hotel staff was gracious enough to allow us to have a late check out, so that we were able to gather our belongings in a timely manner.

I was not at this hotel long enough to take advantage of all its amenities, but the staff went above and beyond when it came to making us feel at home and did their best to assist us in our time of need.

Thanks again to the staff at Hotel Metro!

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Metro is perfectly located for a weekend away in Milwaukee. Rooms are very large, filled with amenities and the staff is most attentive. Fitness centre falls a little short but this can be overcome by using the free rental bikes!

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!