“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Mequon, Wisconsin
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I rarely feel compelled to write a review but this stay really was unimpressive, especially based on the Metro's high-end image and price. Despite an advanced reservation in which I was assured a certain style of suite layout, we ended up in a "conference room" suite, so most of the space in the room was devoted to a potential business meeting, despite my booking a romance package - which made no sense. (I was offered a $25 restaurant voucher when I brought this room issue up with the front desk staff.) The room faced a parking garage over an alley and the "beeping" of a service truck at 4:30am was obviously a negative. Despite an advanced request for their antique cab ride to dinner, I was called 30 minutes prior and told there was a conflict and they needed their shuttle for other guests, so because I couldn't rush down right away for the shuttle I just ended up taking my own car to dinner. The next morning (Sunday) the desk clerk had no suggestions on a local church and just pointed us to the computer in the lobby if we wanted to use it. (Not the service you expect from a "high-end" hotel.) The final straws were financial as they charged my bank card twice for the room hold and I had to get my bank involved to correct the error. There were also mistaken charges from the mini-bar which had to be resolved, probably because house-keeping didn't account for the prior guest usage of items which were posted to our stay.
The Metro is a very unique property with lots of potential - but without the proper service levels and attention to detail it will unfortunately continue to disappoint discerning guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This 'boutique' hotel in the heart of Milwaukee's location is its most redeeming quality. I spent a few nights here over Memorial Day and found the rooms to lack any true aesthetic appeal. The bathroom was large and the amenities provided were of above average quality, but the furniture and bed were not the most comfortable.

The staff wasn't the friendliest and though they weren't rude or off putting, they rarely if ever went out of they way to make our stay more comfortable. Normally I would be quite indifferent to this, however for a hotel that bills itself as high end, and charges accordingly, should be significantly better than this.

The whole stay felt underwhelming and unimpressive. I've paid less for much better experiences in cities all over the world...next time I find myself in Milwaukee ill look elsewhere for accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013
Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Metro for a wedding, which was also at the hotel. We got there early (about noon) hoping that they could let us check in early to dress for the wedding and they were terrific about finding us a room. The hotel and the room were gorgeous! Very Art Deco. There was a huge bath and a separate shower. The room was large with the bed set cleverly apart from the sitting area. The temperature was good, the bed was comfortable. It was very quiet.

It was a quick walk to the Lake and a quick walk to the River Walk. It would be the perfect location for a weekend break in Milwaukee.

We used the valet service – they were also great about getting us in and out quickly as we headed to the church for the wedding. The staff was very friendly and accommodating – seeming to take just an extra half step to make sure we were happy with everything.

I also thought they did a nice job with the wedding. The space was elegant. And the night finished up with pizza in the upstairs bar – as prearranged by the couple; such a nice space and way to end the event.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I was in town for a wedding hosted by friends. My wife was part of the wedding party and the hotel staff allowed us to check in early to help with the ceremony. Prior to leaving to check in, my wife was involved in an accident and had to go to the ER.

After she was discharged from the hospital, Hotel Metro staff allowed us to use their wheelchair. This was extremely helpful due to the fact that she could not put any weight on her bad leg.

The wedding ceremony was conducted on the rooftop that provided a fantastic display of downtown.

Later that night, Elsie at the front desk assisted us by providing extra bags of ice to bring down some of the swelling.

The next morning the hotel staff was gracious enough to allow us to have a late check out, so that we were able to gather our belongings in a timely manner.

I was not at this hotel long enough to take advantage of all its amenities, but the staff went above and beyond when it came to making us feel at home and did their best to assist us in our time of need.

Thanks again to the staff at Hotel Metro!

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Metro is perfectly located for a weekend away in Milwaukee. Rooms are very large, filled with amenities and the staff is most attentive. Fitness centre falls a little short but this can be overcome by using the free rental bikes!

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We needed to get out of town and Milwaukee was an easy 4 hour drive. Hotel Metro was well situated geographically to enjoy what downtown Milwaukee has to offer. Biggest problem was cold rainy weather and downtown in April was surprisingly slow even so. Nevertheless we had a good time. The hotel is clean, staff was friendly and helpful, laid back. I would say the rooms are more eclectic than functional but interesting. Very small workout room and we wouldn't have used it but it wasn't nice enough to run outside. I would stay here again, but I would try hard to come at a time when there is more happening downtown and the weather is better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here for my husband's conference. I was very impressed. The room was very comfortable and clean (nice duvet cover on the bed) and the bathroom was modern. We stayed in a suite and the sitting area was very nice too. My favorite part was the rooftop access. There is a nice sitting area on the roof and we spend quite a bit of time up there --each time we were the only ones up there so it was very private. The staff was good; our stay included free valet parking and free to order breakfast each morning too. Good location. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: The suite option was very roomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!